Author Topic: DS stood up for a smaller boy-what should I do (if anything)?  (Read 6862 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: DS stood up for a smaller boy-what should I do (if anything)?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 11:08:17 PM »
And so it's good to be the grownup they can bring things to, to check to see if it IS something they just have to "put up with." Because if it's not, the reaction of that trusted, level-headed grownup will be an excellent benchmark.

bloo

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
If the boys have had martial arts classes you might want to impress upon them that you are disappointed in them and believe their Sensei would be too, if he heard about those kind of shenanigans.  That might be enough to get them to straighten out if they believe that you would "out" them to their teacher.

One more POD.  My sons' Sensei would have not tolerated this.

Two more PODs, then. Our kids' Sensei would have assigned A LOT of push-ups on their knuckles if he heard about this.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »
If the boys have had martial arts classes you might want to impress upon them that you are disappointed in them and believe their Sensei would be too, if he heard about those kind of shenanigans.  That might be enough to get them to straighten out if they believe that you would "out" them to their teacher.

One more POD.  My sons' Sensei would have not tolerated this.

Two more PODs, then. Our kids' Sensei would have assigned A LOT of push-ups on their knuckles if he heard about this.

I wonder if the OP could inform the Sensei without naming names.  Just tell him or her that some boys in the class, not sure of their names or how often who does what, are doing this stuff.  And maybe the Sensei could address it in a general way to the whole class.

If no one names names, then that solves all the already-mentioned problems about drawing too much attention to the incident or to specific people.  And the boys would hear from an authority figure they respect, that this is really not okay, but without being able to blame someone specific for "tattling".

SpottedPony

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
I think I'd call their martial arts school and name names.  That way if it is a first time thing with these boys, the Sensei can remind everyone that 'those things just aren't done by members of this school, or else.'  Hopefully that's all these boys need.  But just in case this isn't the first time, the Sensei can go straight to the 'or else' with these boys and get them straightened out quickly. 

Spotted Pony

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »
Just because it's "tradition" it doesn't mean that it's ok. Some traditions deserve to die. One would hope that we can improve our treatment of each other and not preserve cruelty under the guise of "we've always done that." Most universities have banned the "tradition" of hazing, and with good reason.

OP, your son did the right thing.

Absolutely!!!!!!!  POD, POD, POD x1000!

OP, I would let the 10 year old's mother know, at the very least.