Author Topic: Misuse of a facebook account - how to approach?  (Read 3700 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Misuse of a facebook account - how to approach?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
The long answer is that you'll have to answer the question, "What do you hope to accomplish?"  That answer will guide your actions.  If your goal is to stop her from using her Facebook account in violation of the rules, then you'll have to tell her directly or report her.  If the goal is to avoid seeing ads on your feed, then you've already done that so again, your only further option is to tell her directly or report her.  The simple fact is that you're dealing with someone who's breaking the TOS to advertise, and it's unlikely that she's entirely unaware of the effects on others.  So telling her is going to cause some level of confrontation.

The short answer is that, given that you say you want to tell her that she's violating the TOS without unfriending or reporting her, your only real option is to tell her.  If you want to avoid accusational language, then just tell her the facts.  "It's against Facebook's TOS to post ads on your timeline.  Just giving you a heads-up so you don't get your account deleted."

Virg

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
If you DID want to say something...

Can you be a bit P/A and private message her, saying something like: "Hi, I noticed that I'm getting a lot of your business posts on my facebook feed.  I really only like to get regular status updates from my friends, so I figured I must have the wrong account.  Could you send me a friend request from your personal account?  And don't be surprised when I defriend your business account; nothing personal, but I just want to keep the friends separate from the business relationships."

Then you put her on notice that a) you don't appreciate the 'business' emails, b) you only expect personal status updates, and c) (if she reads between the lines) not everyone appreciates her blurring the lines between friend and potential customer.

I like this.

But otherwise, just defriend her. Or hide her (which you've done).

And if ever she wonders what's going on with you not knowing something she put on Facebook, you can say, oh so blithely, "Oh, I hid you from my feed, because you were only putting up business stuff, and I'm not interested in that. You'll have to tell me personal stuff in person."

Mikayla

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
My thoughts are similar to Virg's.  OP, the fact that you actually researched the TOS on this because you want her to see the "wrongness" in what she's doing is a little puzzling, and I'm not sure I get the motivation for that.

But if it's important, then I'd think your only option is to just tell her directly.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
You already have the power to limit what you see of her feed and the ultimate power to see nothing at all.

It's really her business what she posts on her page.  And its pretty hypocriitical of FB to actualy have a  rule that says you can't advertise on your own page considering how much they clog up the feed with ads.  And there is no way to block those from appeareing at least once!

I don't think its worth reporting her page either unless you really don't want her as a friend anymore.

I think this is one of those things that you really dont need to make your business.  You dont want to see it, so set your settings accordingly.

Parking my pod right here with Audrey.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »

OP if I remember correctly, you also posted before about being offended about a joke someone had written on your wall. Why don't you just block or hide people form your feed/wall instead of looking to confront them. It seems like a lot less effort  :-\

perpetua

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
You've already done what you needed to do: blocked her from your feed. Anything else smacks of "ummmm, you're doing something wrong, I'm telling on you".