Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Can I serve my guests something I can't eat?

<< < (2/4) > >>

rose red:
It's fine.  I hate shrimp but many of my friends/family love it so I cook it for them at gatherings.  They key is that it's an addition, not something that's different as your own meal.  I may only eat the chicken and not the shrimp, but there's enough chicken for the guests too so they can have both. 

TootsNYC:
my MIL frequently makes food she really dislikes or that she won't eat--even food that makes her ill to smell it cooking--for other people because she knows they love it.

I'm too selfish for that--I'm not going to go to a lot of trouble for something *I* can't eat--but that's really just my own preference for myself.

And in fact, now that I've been diagnosed with celiac, I do still (and will always) serve wheat-based bread, and will make my famous choc.chip cookies and will make "real" birthday cakes.

(OK, on some meals, I'm going to be serving non-gluten desserts, but for special occasions?)

MummySweet:
I'm allergic to strawberries... yet I'm told that I make a rockin' strawberry shortcake!  (There's no shortage of taste-testers in my house!)

BigBadBetty:
I make food I don't eat for guests. I am a vegetarian. I don't have an ethical problem with non-factory farm meat. I just can't make myself eat it. I either follow a well-reviewed recipe or make a meat-eater test it.

KenveeB:
Sure, I've done it. I made a German Chocolate cake on request for someone at work, and everyone raved about how wonderful it turned out. I wouldn't know -- I can't stand coconut and didn't have any!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version