Author Topic: Can I serve my guests something I can't eat?  (Read 2699 times)

lellah

Can I serve my guests something I can't eat?
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
I'm allergic to peaches.  I can handle them with no problems, but eating them is a recipe for disaster.  I bought some peaches recently for some houseguests, who didn't eat them and forgot to take them home with them.  Now I have a lot of peaches.  My partner's headed out of town, and I'm having a dinner party.  Is it weird to whip up a nice peach salsa for my guests?  If I'm not going to eat it?

NyaChan

Re: Can I serve my guests something I can't eat?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
Not at all :)  I think you are perfectly fine as long as you know without tasting that it is a good salsa and provide a recipe here for us ehellions.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »
I think it's fine. I would probably not even notice you weren't eating it, and I'd much rather not have to rush you to the ER because you felt obliged to eat them.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
I think you're fine to serve the peaches however you wish.

And another vote for sharing the recipe!

Now you have me thinking about one of my favourite pies.  I've also made peach crisp and served it warm, on vanilla ice cream.  So good!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
I don't see why not.

I would enlist a trusted friend to taste it before the party just to be sure it's okay. I once made a recipe that turned out entirely inedible so I'm a big proponent of tasting before serving.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
It's fine.  I hate shrimp but many of my friends/family love it so I cook it for them at gatherings.  They key is that it's an addition, not something that's different as your own meal.  I may only eat the chicken and not the shrimp, but there's enough chicken for the guests too so they can have both. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
my MIL frequently makes food she really dislikes or that she won't eat--even food that makes her ill to smell it cooking--for other people because she knows they love it.

I'm too selfish for that--I'm not going to go to a lot of trouble for something *I* can't eat--but that's really just my own preference for myself.

And in fact, now that I've been diagnosed with celiac, I do still (and will always) serve wheat-based bread, and will make my famous choc.chip cookies and will make "real" birthday cakes.

(OK, on some meals, I'm going to be serving non-gluten desserts, but for special occasions?)

MummySweet

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
I'm allergic to strawberries... yet I'm told that I make a rockin' strawberry shortcake!  (There's no shortage of taste-testers in my house!)

BigBadBetty

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
I make food I don't eat for guests. I am a vegetarian. I don't have an ethical problem with non-factory farm meat. I just can't make myself eat it. I either follow a well-reviewed recipe or make a meat-eater test it.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
Sure, I've done it. I made a German Chocolate cake on request for someone at work, and everyone raved about how wonderful it turned out. I wouldn't know -- I can't stand coconut and didn't have any!

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »
Its fine. A friend of mine is a vegatarian, but often cooks meat for her guests, which I always think is very gracious.

snowdragon

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »
Its fine. A friend of mine is a vegatarian, but often cooks meat for her guests, which I always think is very gracious.

I think that is lovely.

OP, it would a nice way to use them up, really. And would you be willing to share the recipe, it sounds fantastic!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
Sure you can prepare and serve food you can't eat. 

A vegan relative has taken over the cooking and serving of Thanksgiving for relatives who live near her because she has a huge table that can seat twenty and a big house with plenty of room for the kids to play. 

Other relatives provide the turkey and roast it in her kitchen.  She makes a tofuky for herself and her family.  There are plenty of vegan sides and everybody seems perfectly happy with the arrangement. 

greencat

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »
I used to make peanut butter pie for my (now ex) boyfriend - an act of true love, since the smell of peanut butter makes me absolutely gag.

My fairly good peach (or mango) salsa recipe, which is done proportionately instead of by actual quantities so it doesn't matter how many peaches you have:

Dice all ingredients up into 1/2 inch cubes and then measure quantities.

2 Units Peaches
1 Unit Red Onions
3 Units Tomatoes
1 Unit Tomatillos
1/4 Unit red jalapeno peppers - dice these up really fine, and make sure you remove the seeds before you start washing them.
1/2 Units Fresh Cilantro, loosely packed
A couple of cloves of garlic - I'd say probably one for every 1/2 cup of other ingredients you're adding.  Dice these up really fine as well.
Salt and black pepper to taste (you can salt before adding the peaches)

BigBadBetty

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »
I was eating at a small cafe. They have the best coconut cream pie. My mom is an excellent baker so I am usually disappointed in restaurant pies. This place is the exception. Today, I just found out the baker hates coconut. I thought of this thread.