Author Topic: Guided Tours That Weren't  (Read 3678 times)

Rohanna

Re: Guided Tours That Weren't
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
Not a "tour" but my Dad mild freaked out another group of people touring an ancient abby at night (both groups thought we had the place to ourselves) by singing/chanting in Latin.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

snowfire

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the links, Elisabunny.  I'll watch them as soon as we finish unloading the concrete blocks from the truck. I'm going to want a good rest and some good laughs then.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the links, Elisabunny.  I'll watch them as soon as we finish unloading the concrete blocks from the truck. I'm going to want a good rest and some good laughs then.

Thank you for posting the link, Elisabunny.  Mr. Thipu will thoroughly enjoy the tour.  You don 't often to hear first-hand history like this. 

TOLady

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
I had been to Chichen Itza and Tulum in Mexico many, many times and had done quite a bit of research (I love me my history!).

Every time I'd gone, it has been with someone who hadn't been before (Mom one year, Dad another, various SO) and they had insisted on having a tour guide. Every time we went, I had to correct the tour guides who would try to dumb it down or make up incredible stories that were completely and wildly inaccurate about what happened where and when.  >:(

I'd love to have skipped out on these tours, but was never able to.  :-\

BTW - I wasn't sucky about it, just stated that it wasn't accurate and what actually happened.

carol1412

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
A tour that we weren't supposed to be part of:
My sister, a friend and I were in Florence, Italy walking around, seeing all the marvelous artwork. I especially wanted to see the Brancacci Chapel in Santa Maria del Carmine, as I've studied Italian art for a while and it's one of the first instances of perspective in art.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_del_Carmine,_Florence) Sadly, the chapel was closed for renovations.

We sat down on the front steps to figure out our next move. There were 15-20 other people sitting there also. A few minutes later, a man walks out of the chapel and comes over by us. He was an art professor from Boston and the other people there were his touring class. He had worked out a deal with the Sisters there - for a donation, they would let the class into the chapel for one hour. He collected some money from the students and they all got up to go in. We were still sitting there - the professor gestured to us to come on along. We said we weren't part of the group, but he insisted that we needed to see the chapel and we could be part of the group for this one hour. We each handed him 10 euro and went inside to a private viewing of the wonderful frescoes and a very well done lecture by the professor. Best day we had there!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »
I used to give impromptu tour fairly often at the museum. 

One of our more interesting objects was a bust of Alexander the Great and art students would come to research it at least once a month.  However, they could rarely find it in the galleries.  The problem was that Alexander looked very impressive in photographs but was really only about three inches high.

One or the other of us in the library would go out into the galleries and show the researcher where Alexander was.  These excursions almost always led to more questions from the researcher and questions from other visitors who happened by. 

I admit that I kind of miss those days.  Interacting with the public was almost always fun.