Author Topic: Something other than "Thanks, but...that's ugly" Updated #11  (Read 4540 times)

NyaChan

I have two posters that I picked up while I was traveling several years ago, and have put up in each place I've lived.  I am very fond of them as a remembrance of that trip and also because I really like the content of the posters.  They are laminated, but not framed.  My mom, knowing that I like them a lot and also knowing that they aren't well protected took them with her on her outing with my grandma (the same outing from the SS thread re: primroses) saying that since she was going to get my degree framed anyways, she'd get these two things framed properly also as we'd talked about for years, but never gotten around to doing.  I am very appreciative that she was willing to do this for me.

I've put things in frames before and used matting once, but it did not even occur to me that I would need to tell her about colors and styles of framing.  She was texting with me about other things, but did not text me about the framing process.  There was a big sale on framing (Buy 1 Get 1 Free) and she told me that things had been really really expensive, but since it was on sale, she went ahead and spent hundreds of dollars on getting my degree done by the store and then buying two large frames and a large piece of matting that the store cut for her so that she could frame it at home.  Sounds great right?  It really was nice of her to spend so much, especially when I hadn't even asked her to do it (frankly I think it had been driving her nuts that I had posters up in my previous apartments that weren't framed and therefore looked to her like some kid's bedroom). 

Frames look great, matting...not so much.  The color is just all wrong and I have no idea why she would have picked it!  I also don't know why she didn't call me to check, though I suspect maybe my grandma was getting on her nerves (she complains about everything, even when it has nothing to do with her - I don't have to imagine what she was saying about the money because she let some of it out at home) or the salesgirl made a good pitch (my mom is easily railroaded by store staff, drives my dad crazy if he asks her to take the cars in for work) and she just tried to get it done as fast as possible.  My problem now is that I am worried that when we frame it, she will want to attach it to the matting in a permanent way as the salesgirl told her a cheaper alternative - the one I used in the past - where you use the matting as a base and fix the poster on top of that and then frame it.  But there is no way I want that color on these posters for any longer than it takes for me to save up for new matting.  I also, however, don't want to hurt my mom's feelings when I know she spent a lot of money on this, can't return it, and I just feel bad.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can avoid having the posters permanently attached or how to tell mom I don't like this matting?

I'll try to post a sample of the poster/color so you can see, just need to look around google for a bit...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:38:12 PM by NyaChan »

ladydesmond

Re: Something other than "Thanks, but...that's ugly"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
You can spray paint matting.  I've done it, and it turns out well.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »
Since its colored matting, why not just say something like "lets not attach the posters in a permanent way, as I really love these posters and now that they are protected they will last a lifetime. Someday I might want to change the mat color to match different decor."

The pressure of the frame should hold everything together (if not, add a layer of cardboard behind your posters) - there is no reason to attach your poster to the matting permanently.

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:39:57 AM »
Here are the covers that the posters are based on:

http://zeppelindreams.com/zepshop/en/posters/77-poster-tintin-the-seven-crystal-balls.html
http://www.gorianet.it/tintin/dessins/lotus_g.jpg

Can't find a good comparison for the mat board, but it is like a matte yellow, not bright or pastel, but a subdued mustard maybe?  I would have preferred black.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
If the mats can't be exchanged, I second the spray painting option, especially since you'd like black. That should work well. I also think it is ok to tell your mom that you'd prefer another color.

NutellaNut

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:34 PM »
I like Willynilly's wording.  That way you don't sound like you're criticizing your Mom's choice of matting, but just looking out for future possibilities.

And, OP, I love Tintin!  Those posters are awesome!

White Lotus

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
When I have something framed that is "floating" (on top of the matte board, usually because the design or color goes right to the edge) the attachment the framer uses is generally what is known as museum or earthquake putty or something similar.  It is not a permanent seal, but peels right off with no damage to anything. Maybe you could call the framer and make sure it is done that way?  Even for framing with the art behind the matte board, I orefer this attachment because of reframing possibilities, especially when art is sold (if it is my art).  This isn't unusual, and I think a call to the framer would take care of this.  I would be terrified of trying to spray matte board with the art attached.  When I frame my own art for for exhibit or sale, I use a non-permanent attachment.  Call the frame shop before it is too late!

Poppea

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »
Matting is supercheap.  I would just go on ebay and order exactly what color ans size you want.  It will cost you

I pulled this up as an example.  18 x 24 custom cut and color for less than $5.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-18x24-Acid-Free-Mat-for-Picture-Frame-More-Color-Choices-/350702808518?pt=Photo_Frames_Display&var=&hash=item51a7842dc6

Chain craft stores will mark up their prices and then have buy one get one free sales

Mind, you a true acid free, hand colored hand cut museum mat can be far more expensive, but you would not frame a poster that way.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
Also, normally the material might be mounted to a backing board (adhesive applied to the BACK of the poster, but it's not normally fastened to the framing mat, because that means applying adhesive to the front of the artwork. That's just my own personal experience.

But given how precious these are to you, you may not want them mounted at all--so tell that to your mom and try to get her to let you speak to the framing place.

mime

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
What a generous gift. Custom framing is very expensive!

I like WillyNilly's suggestion. You could also express concern about applying permanent treatments to your posters in general. I haven't seen that typically done with art.

Matting isn't too expensive, so hopefully it won't be long before you can buy it. 

If all else fails, you could go with a double-mat: get a black mat cut with outer dimensions matching the yellow mat, but with an opening that is 6mm(1/4") larger than the yellow mat opening. When the black mat is placed on top of the yellow mat, it will leave just a 3mm(1/8") yellow inner mat with black for outer mat. (google images for "double matted" to see good examples).

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Or get a second mat that has has an opening slightly smaller than the yellow.

When it's set on top of the yellow, it'll create a 3-D "shadow" effect. Very chic!

NyaChan

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone!  Turns out I need to get my ears checked lol  My mom had to go out of town unexpectedly and the receipt wasn't with the materials, so I couldn't ask her until now about the price. Actually my mom and grandma had been talking at the same time and I thought I heard 50 each for the yellow matting, buy one get one free, when she was actually saying 15 each and add that in to her saying she'd spend hundreds of dollars at that store and I just vastly overestimated how much this particular project was costing her. 

We put the frames together today and I mentioned per WillyNilly's advice that the thickness of the backing and the the yellow board would keep the poster in place and how that would be good, since it would allow me to switch up the colors if I ever needed to match a different sort of decor.  My mom agreed and we framed it that way - poster, the yellow, then the back & it stayed in place really well.  She did ask if I liked the color and since I realized that it was not so expensive, I went ahead and said that it was a nice color, but I might switch it out someday for black.  She kind of did a double take and was like "Why didn't I get black? Black would have looked good. What was I thinking? Oh dear.  I can go get-" I just stopped her because I know I can easily replace them later on and said it was no big deal, as the purpose for now was to make sure the posters were secure (it does make the posters stand out more in a pop art sort of way, I just prefer the black to dress it up).  So she's happy now & is even planning on putting them up on her wall while I'm at home which cracks me up because our styles are so different, but I think she's trying to be more daring and also make me feel like its my home too.  That and she needed something to replace a giant abstract flower that she's had up for 10 years ;)

Thanks for help everyone!

EmmaJ.

Re: Something other than "Thanks, but...that's ugly" Updated #11
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
What a great update! Your mum sounds really nice.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
Re: Something other than "Thanks, but...that's ugly" Updated #11
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
Nicely handled! 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com