Author Topic: Two parking situations.  (Read 5992 times)

SiotehCat

Re: Two parking situations.
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
  The way he feels is probably nothing to the driver with a small child or elderly parent or large package that has to park much farther away because some guy couldn't be bothered to park in only one space.

That person would only be one space closer, though.

If the lot is truly that busy, and the nearest open spot is "much farther away," that spot would have been snapped up by the first person to drive past it. Which would probably not be the person with the small child or elderly parent or large package.

Are you assuming everyone is arriving at the same time?  When I am out and about I sometimes find an open space or two very near the front of the restaurant/shop/office because people are pulling in and out all day.

Then one of the other spots in that genera area would have opened up, no?

It's still a jerk move to do - park incorrectly, realize you are parked incorrectly, and deliberately not correcting the incorrect parking job (as stated above, he won't correct if Sio isn't with him).

The threat (of keying the car) is also not cool.... but that could have been avoided completely if he had bothered to park correctly in the first place.

With my DH, he doesn't realize that he has parked incorrectly. He doesn't think to check. When I am with him, I do think to check.

His bad parking is only a problem at work. At home, we have parallel parking and when we go out, I am with him and can correct him.

The parking deck where he works is less than half full during the day, so there are a lot of empty spaces. This is probably why he has gotten used not paying attention.

Poppea

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »
Are you assuming everyone is arriving at the same time?  When I am out and about I sometimes find an open space or two very near the front of the restaurant/shop/office because people are pulling in and out all day.

No, maybe I misunderstood, or explained it poorly.  Toots had a comment that implied to me just one spot was lost due to the poor parking but I was just saying if a lot of people, for example take two spots, then there could be more lost.  I guess if everyone else just parks close to the offender as if there are no lines at all it works out but in practice it doesn't seem that happens as there will be some people already in the lot within the lines.  When I drive around a store lot you can often find over a dozen people who have parked in a manner no one except maybe a motorcycle can use the spot beside them.  Sometime people also go across two spots more like a diagonal and then there is pretty much no way a smaller car can use one of the spots.

One time, an older man, commented I was too close to his car but I was perfectly centered in the lines and he was the one that was off.  I just smiled at his comment and then moved to another spot as there were some beside other cars and I didn't want the hassle.

Haha - I had that once too.  I parked my little ragtop 2 seater smack in the middle of a spot and the woman next to me  started yelling at me (english was not her first language) it appeared at first she was conplaining that I was too close to her car, I pointed out I was in the middle than she complained my car was "too fast".  I can only assume she was jealous of my convertible.

Poppea

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
  The way he feels is probably nothing to the driver with a small child or elderly parent or large package that has to park much farther away because some guy couldn't be bothered to park in only one space.

If the lot is truly that busy, and the nearest open spot is "much farther away," that spot would have been snapped up by the first person to drive past it. Which would probably not be the person with the small child or elderly parent or large package.

It's still a jerk move to do - park incorrectly, realize you are parked incorrectly, and deliberately not correcting the incorrect parking job (as stated above, he won't correct if Sio isn't with him).

The threat (of keying the car) is also not cool.... but that could have been avoided completely if he had bothered to park correctly in the first place.

With my DH, he doesn't realize that he has parked incorrectly. He doesn't think to check. When I am with him, I do think to check.

His bad parking is only a problem at work. At home, we have parallel parking and when we go out, I am with him and can correct him.

The parking deck where he works is less than half full during the day, so there are a lot of empty spaces. This is probably why he has gotten used not paying attention.

Is the parking deck dedicated to the business where he works?  If so he may want to start checking.  Its not wise to tick off people you work for and with.  Even if he parks in the back, whenever I see someone parked over two spots I silently think"jerk!!".

cross_patch

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »

Well, maybe the silver lining is that this will draw attention to his terrible parking and he will check from now on. Does he not go out on his own ever? It just seems like it probably does affect others but this is the first time he's been made aware of it.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »
Another thing to consider is parking space availability.  Where I live it is at an absolute premium and one person parking incorrectly and taking up two spots can mean the difference between parking somewhat close to my house or a few blocks away.

But if parking is at such a premium, isn't it likely that someone else would have taken that second space before you got there? The only reason it's available for you to mourn over is that someone parked badly. If they'd parked properly, the other space would have been filled by whoever came along after them and before you.

If what you're saying is that you'll be driven out of your building's *lot* because one of your neighbors parked badly there, then this falls under the "possibility of repetition" idea, and I'd think it's be ok to leave a note that said, "Hey, neighbor, I had to park on the street because you took up two spaces. Please be careful when you park, because there isn't room for that."

A personally written note, that says it's from someone specific to the situation (a neighbor), might have a chance of influencing someone.

But a preprinted one? That comes across as though it's from someone who wants to run around feeling holier-than-thou and thinks all the rest of the world needs to be corrected and that they are the ones to do it. I think a lot of people would say to themselves, "Who made you the parking police?"

Per the bolded, it doesn't really matter to me if I was the first person to try and take that spot or one of many people that would have taken that spot if someone could have taken that spot.  What I do know is that it was an available spot that is now unavailable because someone didn't park correctly. 

As for the second comment...I am the parking police of my reserved spot.  I pay for it and it is mine to park in therefore I can police it however I deem necessary.  Some people might be okay with people parking in their spots, but I am not one of those people.  If people think I'm being holier-than-thou because I left a preprinted note on their car after they parked in my clearly marked reserved spot then so be it.  They shouldn't be parking in my spot in the first place.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »
1. I would report that card to the police. It's a clear threat to damage my property. On top of which, it's horrible and abusive. I'd be worried about my safety next time I used that car park.

2. Not rude. If you parked within the lines, you're fine. Although, as PPs said, I would be worried that the driver would deliberately damage my car, when trying to open their door.

delabela

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »
If there's a possibility that the same person might park in the wrong space at a later time, then sure, there's some sense behind leaving a note that says, "Perhaps you didn't realize this is my reserved parking space. I could have had your car towed but didn't. However, if I find your car in it again, I will in fact have it towed, so please be careful when you're choosing your space."

But if it's a random pizza-place go-er, the more *effective* thing is to place that same info somewhere they'll actually see it when it will do some good--like, a sign in front of the parking space or something.

It's when there is no real chance of the person being a repeat offender to you that it's just a random "striking out." It comes across as "I don't like how you parked, so I want to be sure someone makes you feel bad about it."

And a couple of people here have made the point: It's not like it's effective--the people who get those cards don't think. "Oh, wow, I didn't realize I parked badly and inconvenienced someone!" They think, "What a jerk!" And in fact they might be more likely to park badly the next time out of spite.

I'm actually ok with this - people should feel bad when they are inconsiderate.

Poppea

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:12 PM »
If there's a possibility that the same person might park in the wrong space at a later time, then sure, there's some sense behind leaving a note that says, "Perhaps you didn't realize this is my reserved parking space. I could have had your car towed but didn't. However, if I find your car in it again, I will in fact have it towed, so please be careful when you're choosing your space."

But if it's a random pizza-place go-er, the more *effective* thing is to place that same info somewhere they'll actually see it when it will do some good--like, a sign in front of the parking space or something.

It's when there is no real chance of the person being a repeat offender to you that it's just a random "striking out." It comes across as "I don't like how you parked, so I want to be sure someone makes you feel bad about it."

And a couple of people here have made the point: It's not like it's effective--the people who get those cards don't think. "Oh, wow, I didn't realize I parked badly and inconvenienced someone!" They think, "What a jerk!" And in fact they might be more likely to park badly the next time out of spite.

I'm actually ok with this - people should feel bad when they are inconsiderate.

Actually I'm the one that said "what a jerk", but I was referring to selfish parkers that take up more than one space.

Margo

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
As for the second comment...I am the parking police of my reserved spot.  I pay for it and it is mine to park in therefore I can police it however I deem necessary.  Some people might be okay with people parking in their spots, but I am not one of those people.  If people think I'm being holier-than-thou because I left a preprinted note on their car after they parked in my clearly marked reserved spot then so be it.  They shouldn't be parking in my spot in the first place.

I think private spaces are a different issue to poor parking in public areas.
If you have a recurring problem with people using a reserved space then having a pre-printed form that says "This is a private, reserved space - your car will be towed if not removed " or something similar is fine - as you say, you *are* the parking police if the the parking is  your private property.

Doing the same in a public area where you don't have ownership or authority is when it becomes rude, for me. Retaliatory rudeness, as the person who parks badly or inconsiderately is rude, but rudeness none the less.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »

I agree with you--you very much are the "parking police" of your reserved spot. Leaving a note in that sort of situation doesn't have the same vibe.
   But I also think that if your reserved spot is "violated" frequently enough for you to buy cards, you've got a pretty big problem, and it would be more *effective* to put a sign up and to have a tow truck on speed-dial.