Author Topic: Should I tell my sister?  (Read 4511 times)

menley

Should I tell my sister?
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
My sister has been married for several years. As I don't live in the same city as her and her husband, I don't spend much time with them and really don't have much of a relationship with her husband beyond seeing each him at holidays and exchanging occasional e-mails and Facebook posts.

He sent me a message on Facebook recently, saying that he and my sister were going through a rough patch and started telling me about their problems. I don't want to get involved in these problems; I know my mother has, as my BIL has talked to her about them as well, and it's caused some problems in the relationship between my sister and my mother. Luckily for me, my computer was low on battery and I was able to simply say that I couldn't talk as my computer would die shortly.

My two questions are as follows:
1) How can I tell him gently that I don't wish to be involved in their marital disputes? I know I could simply say, "Look, this isn't really any of my business, please don't tell me these things." But that seems a little cold to me. Does anyone have suggestions for wording that conveys the same idea but isn't as abrupt?

2) Should I tell my sister that he's told me these things? If it were me, I would want to know. But as I've found from reading these boards regularly, not everyone would :) Do I have an obligation to tell her, or is this a personal judgment call where I weigh the pros and cons of telling her and decide?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

SPuck

Re: Should I tell my sister?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
"I am sorry BIL, but I cannot discuss this topic."

You can be polite as you want, but no matter how try to ease the blow if he is going to get offended or mad he is going to get offended or mad.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »
OK, maybe I am really off here, but it seems that BIL is trying to get you on 'his side'.  Why would he, not being close to you at all, spill his guts and why go to his MIL about marital problems?  I would tell him that Sorry, I feel the issues should be kept  between you and my sister and I will not get involved. 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
POD with * inviteseller.

My OldestDD's first husband used to do that......there were other problems.....and he is now her XH.

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »
My sister has been married for several years. As I don't live in the same city as her and her husband, I don't spend much time with them and really don't have much of a relationship with her husband beyond seeing each him at holidays and exchanging occasional e-mails and Facebook posts.

He sent me a message on Facebook recently, saying that he and my sister were going through a rough patch and started telling me about their problems. I don't want to get involved in these problems; I know my mother has, as my BIL has talked to her about them as well, and it's caused some problems in the relationship between my sister and my mother. Luckily for me, my computer was low on battery and I was able to simply say that I couldn't talk as my computer would die shortly.

My two questions are as follows:
1) How can I tell him gently that I don't wish to be involved in their marital disputes? I know I could simply say, "Look, this isn't really any of my business, please don't tell me these things." But that seems a little cold to me. Does anyone have suggestions for wording that conveys the same idea but isn't as abrupt?

2) Should I tell my sister that he's told me these things? If it were me, I would want to know. But as I've found from reading these boards regularly, not everyone would :) Do I have an obligation to tell her, or is this a personal judgment call where I weigh the pros and cons of telling her and decide?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

What your BIL is trying to do - insert you into a private marital problem - is highly inappropriate to the point where "being gentle" is no longer a concern for you. He's jumping right over normal boundaries, so you will have to be really explicit and clear that you are not interested in being his confidante.

I think you should tell your sister, but not from the perspective of tattling on BIL but from a place of concern. "Sister, BIL initiated a FB chat the other day and seemed to want to talk about the problems you two have been having lately. My battery was about to die anyway, so we didn't talk about anything, but I'm just concerned that he's feeling very distressed about what's going on, to the point where he's seeking me out to talk about them. I don't feel comfortable talking to him about it, and told him so. But, if you haven't considered it yet, couple's therapy might be really helpful for you guys...."

Margo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
I agree that it is absolutely fine for you to tell him "I don't feel comfortable discussing this, and it's really not my business. Please don't tell me this"

I also think that it is reasonable to mention to your sister that he contacted you. Zizi-K's suggestion is good, and if you would be OK with your sister talking to you, then you could stsart by asking how she is doing, and whether she would like to talk about it. Obviously if you'd prefer not to be involved at all you can say so.

MayHug

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »
I wouldn't tell your sister. What will you gain? My sister's husband (soon to be ex) did the same thing to me. I had heard they were having some problems, didn't know details. (and not my business to know) He sent me a Facebook message asking to speak to my husband and I. I just replied that I loved them both and didn't want to be put into the middle.

I didn't tell my sister, but then she is a very private person. It would have upset her knowing he wanted to talk to others about their problems.

Unfortunately they are now divorcing and I've heard more details. I still feel badly for them both. They were married almost 28 yrs and have 6 children.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
From a completely pragmatic standpoint, if you tell your sister about the things he tells you, he's less likely to try to confide in you in the future.  In any case, you're the best judge to decide whether to tell your sister, but if you do I agree that Zizi-K's approach is the best way to tell her.  It doesn't judge either of them and gives her the information she needs.

Virg

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
I think that "look, this isn't my business, please don't tell me these things" is completely appropriate. It's not at all harsh. And being gentle is NOT the goal of etiquette; sometimes, in fact, firmness is absolutely crucial.

This might be a good place for the "cut and paste" technique, if only because it makes the responses easier for you.

You will know what to say every time and won't have to think about matching his argument, appeal, etc.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
OK, maybe I am really off here, but it seems that BIL is trying to get you on 'his side'.  Why would he, not being close to you at all, spill his guts and why go to his MIL about marital problems?  I would tell him that Sorry, I feel the issues should be kept  between you and my sister and I will not get involved.

That seems odd to me too. I'd definitely tell him to leave me out of it in future.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Eden

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
I absolutely do NOT think you should tell your sister. What purpose would it serve? It would only add stress and insert you into a situation you want to avoid.

I'd tell BIL, "I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. I don't think it's appropriate for me to discuss your relationship with you, but I do wish you well and hope you can find a neutral party with whom you can talk."

NyaChan

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
I would be telling my sister immediately.  Yeah, BIL is family, but for me, my sister comes first - him contacting you is IMO a huge red flag unless you  have a relationship where giving advice on this subject is normal.  I would want her to know so that 1) she can protect her privacy, 2) she'll know that he's going behind her back and sharing their private information to her sister of all people! 3) it will discourage him from trying to involve me again and 4) protect you from any possibility that he will try to use your communication to cause trouble in the future - which would blindside your sister if she is never told that this communication happened.

"BIL, it is inappropriate for you to speak to me about the problems in your marriage to my sister, especially as you have done so behind her back.  Please do not contact me about this again."

m2kbug

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
It seems he's trying to get you on his side.  When I was getting divorced, my ex was sending emails to my parents.  It was strange and it did come across that he needed my family on his side.  I probably would tell my sister, but this one is something best determined by you and your relationship.  I don't think you're under any obligation to tell her, and it might be best that she not know, but again, this is best determined by you and your relationship.  I'm pretty much in NyaChan's camp on this one including what to say to BIL.

azleaneo

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
I would tell BIL that you're not a counselor and that he should really try couple's counseling instead of telling you about their issues.

Roses

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
I think it's strange that he's reached out to you.  I would tell BIL that you have no intention of getting in the middle of their issues; that your loyalty is to your sister and anything he tells you, you feel compelled to pass onto your sister.  I'd also recommend they seek out professional counseling if he needs to talk to someone about their problems.  Then I'd relay that conversation to your sister.