News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 04:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP!!! Horsefiles are making my horses miserable  (Read 1285 times)

goldilocks

HELP!!! Horsefiles are making my horses miserable
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
Does anyone know a good remedy?  I found the following:

2 cups (500 ml) Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) Water
1 cup (250 ml) Avon Skin so Soft (bath oil)
2 tsp. ( 10 ml) Eucalyptus oil (or citronella oil)

This is for a spray - I've also seen advice saying to add apple cider vinegar to their feed.  Has anyone tried any of these?

Outdoor Girl

Re: HELP!!! Horsefiles are making my horses miserable
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »
Skin So Soft and citronella oil are 'natural' bug repellent remedies so it sounds like it should work.  Can't hurt to try!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

kyrie

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
I haven't had any luck with natural flysprays but here is what I have seen work at several boarding barns:
Manure mangement: if possible get manure off the property, the place I am at now gifts it to a farmer, that cuts down on the flies.  If they are pastured, pick out the pastures or harrow them.
Fly traps with attractants: they are jars with water that an attractant is added to (smells horrible) but they fly on in and die.
Heavy duty fly sprays- like Absorbine Ultrasheild.  Note, these won't keep flys away, but when they land on the horse and walk on the residual fly spray it will kill them eventually.
Garlic:  Feed through powdered garlic seems to work really well, but the horses then smell like garlic.  Really really like garlic.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »
I've heard basil is good for repelling flies, and it smells nice (garlic doesn't smell as nice to everyone). Could you plant some in small pots near windows, or around doors/fencelines? It's pretty, grows nicely without much intervention, and hey, you can always eat some!

Browyn

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »
Do you have a bug zapper near their area?  My neighbors growing up had horses and always had a bug zapper to keep the fly population down.

BTW, when horse flies get sapped they are loud!  lol

SpottedPony

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
Feed them garlic.  The years I've fed garlic to my horses, I've have had very few biting flys of any kind.  It takes a while to build up in the system, but then you don't need any thing else.  I get mine at www.springtimeing.com , they have buy two get one free offers and buy so much and try something free.  Good company, fast service. 

Spotted Pony

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
I second the fly trap.  We had less than 1/4 of the flies after we hung a few of those around.

Micah

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
Feeding garlic to horses can cause Heinz Body aneamia. http://www.horse-report.com/garlic-supplement-for-horses.html
Scientists haven't figured out what a safe dosage is, or even if there is a safe dose. You can get fly and insect repellant collars and leg bands for horses. I haven't used them personally, but I know people who have and swear by them. They're made with natural products, not nasty chemicals like normal flea collars.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Haltermare

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
Pyranha flu spray is the best ever!  It's also an oil base so it lasts longer and doesn't evaporate like water based ones.  I've had reports from customers that the spot-on fly stuff works, but you HAVE to apply according to directions.
Fly predators are a safe and natural fly control method, but you can't use sprays as they kill the wasps. 
Keeping the grass mowed short helps. 
manure removal as someone else stated.
golden malrin fly bait in the barn alleyway.
We used to pay to have someone come and spray the barn with insectacide that was safe for food service, therefore safe for animals and people.
"Hunting vampires is not a catch and release sport." - Anita Blake