News:

• February 18, 2018, 10:20:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 3589 times)

DottyG

Time Travel
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
This is kind of a spin-off from the Ghost thread.  But I thought it deserved its own space.

But have you had any instances that you feel like were time travel yourself?  Have you heard of any stories that have happened to others?

See this link for some kinda freaky examples.  It includes the famous Charlie Chaplin Circus video, the "Time Traveler saves a pedestrian", the 1941 photograph and some others.

http://www.ryot.org/evidence-of-time-travel-popping-up-all-over-the-internet/84113

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:40:50 PM by DottyG »

DottyG

Re: Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »

cwm

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »
I read a theory once that due to its nature, the discovery of time travel would not necessarily occur just in the future, but would have to subsequently occur at all point in time simultaneously.

The "cell phone" in the Charlie Chaplin movie has been reasonably explained as a type of hearing aid used in that time. I didn't watch any of the rest of the videos because I'm at work, but I'm not so sure that I believe any of them.

I'm not saying I absolutely don't believe in time travel. I just don't know, and I haven't personally experienced anything that would make me believe. Until then, offer me good proof that can't be refuted or give me an experience and I'm willing to believe. Until then, though, I'm just not buying it. The physics alone involved are mind-bending at best, impossible at worst.

DottyG

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
I'm not saying I believe in it.  Just looking for stories.

I've heard that the "hearing aid" theory was dismissed.  It was a thought at one point, but they determined that that's not what it was.

rose red

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
It's pretty freaky when you hear stories about finding modern tools like screwdrivers in ancient ruins.  One of my theories about space aliens are they are not from outer space, but from our own future hopping into their cars for a vacation into the past.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:28:41 PM by rose red »

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
Everytime I see the Charlie Chaplin cell phone one I just wonder who he's calling - and where the hidden cell phone towers were back in those days.

;)
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Thipu1

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
The scene in the stage coach is easy to explain. My grandfather, who worked on the railroad, had a notebook of the exact same size and shape.  In the front were often cards with train schedules. These notebooks were frequently given to passengers because they were a convenient size and shape to fit into an inside jacket pocket. 

The Delorean can be explained as a hoax.  If you look carefully, you can see that the running child never crosses the center of the screen. If someone is skilled at photo manipulation it would be easy to inject a static shot of the car on one side of the screen and preserve the 1928 movie on the other.

The shot of the 'Dude' with the miners also isn't particularly strange.  Not everyone wore hats all the time.  'Surfer' hair and tee shirts were known in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  The commentary says that the miner on one side of the Dude is, 'looking on in disbelief'. However, the miner on the other side has noticed nothing at all unusual. 

These are fun things to see and I thank the OP for showing them to us.  They will be fun to look at and discuss but I doubt that there are any real time travelers there.     

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »
I forget where I heard this chant. 

What do we want?
   Time travel
When do we want it?
   Doesn't matter

Shea

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »
Everytime I see the Charlie Chaplin cell phone one I just wonder who he's calling - and where the hidden cell phone towers were back in those days.

;)

You just need to have the Doctor zap it with his sonic screwdriver, then you don't need any silly cell phone towers!

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

DottyG

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »
To get it back to a bit more of the reality side of things rather than just a thread on disproving, there have been times when I've felt like I really, really have been somewhere before - even if it's just a moment in time rather than a place.

I know that's deja vu and completely normal.  Understand that I'm NOT saying I time traveled.  I'm saying that I've just had a particularly bizarre deja vu feeling.  We all have that sensation at times.  There are some, though, that are just so strong and weird feeling!  If you asked me in that moment, I would swear I'd already experienced that moment.  And it'll be something so mundane that I'll have been doing.  It's not like I'm reliving anything exciting.  Just daily life.  But so much more clearly than regular deja vu would be.

Again, maybe not time traveling.  But can be unsettling at times when I'm not expecting it!

rose red

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »
Sometimes I feel off, like there's a small shift in myself and the world around me.  Everything is the same but...not.  And I know it's not something like just spacing out.  Perhaps it time travel, but only forward/backward for a few seconds.

eta: when I mean forward, I mean perhaps 5 seconds pass in real time but I went forward, like, 8 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:34:33 PM by rose red »

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »
To get it back to a bit more of the reality side of things rather than just a thread on disproving, there have been times when I've felt like I really, really have been somewhere before - even if it's just a moment in time rather than a place.

I know that's deja vu and completely normal.  Understand that I'm NOT saying I time traveled.  I'm saying that I've just had a particularly bizarre deja vu feeling.  We all have that sensation at times.  There are some, though, that are just so strong and weird feeling!  If you asked me in that moment, I would swear I'd already experienced that moment.  And it'll be something so mundane that I'll have been doing.  It's not like I'm reliving anything exciting.  Just daily life.  But so much more clearly than regular deja vu would be.

Again, maybe not time traveling.  But can be unsettling at times when I'm not expecting it!

I've had dreams about the next day.  Really vivid and perfectly ordinary dreams that could be memories.  Except that there have been a few about places I'd never been.  One where I "remembered" my best friend telling me about something that happened to her.  We got into an argument where I insisted she'd already told me the story, and I finished it for her.  (I was unhappy about the whole thing because she was sleeping with a guy that was using her.  So, I didn't want to hear it twice)  She became quite upset, because not only had she not told me, she'd told no one and it had only happened a couple of hours before, during which time I had talked to no one (this was in high school during morning classes). 

Nothing has been remotely helpful, just freaky.  My explanation is Quantum Mechanics.  We know that matter is partly ahead of itself in time.  I figure people are too, and that the memories I'll make about 12 hours later leak back to my dreams.  Maybe the same thing happens to you.

hjaye

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
A good friend of mine has a daughter that is working on her PHD.  I'm not sure of the exact field, but I know she graduated from RPI in New York, which is a top rated technical school for engineers.

I'm always kidding my friend, telling her, that her daughter should be working on creating a time machine.  I'm counting on it because there really are a few things I would like a do over on.  We just never realized at the time the impact some simple decisions can have on our life.

Jones

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
I believe, to an extent. It helps that I once experienced something in which I traveled either time or to a different dimension, visually the area around me seemed to regress to an older feeling, and some modern signs on the canyon wall in front of me were just vanished.

There's a book about my area, Hunt For the Skinwalker, that tells a bunch of stories of a particular ranch. The history is not just on that ranch though, but many people in my county have experienced either strange (brief) visions of a past or future, or a different dimension (I have a preference to the idea that we are living in one layer and occasionally get to see a glimpse of another layer); UFOs, ghosts, strange other-worldly creatures, etc. Some stories I totally discount, but there are quite a few that ring truth, especially when told by someone I know well and trust deeply. Also, sometimes I think people are very willing to jump to a conclusion that is the most fantastic; when a down-to-earth, solidly macho 50 year old man shakes a little and quavers his voice as he tells a story that happened 20 years ago, it's hard to not believe him. When a drama llama dramatically screams and describes a very generic ghost-busters type vision that tried to strangle her just a second ago, it's something I'm less inclined to believe.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

Redwing

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
I would love to believe it because I would love to do it.  I want to think it's possible and I want to do it.  Always thought it would be so fantastic to be able to go spend a week in another time.  Of course, I'd want the guarantee that nothing bad could happen to me there!  If I'm going to dream about time travel, I'm going to have it my way!