Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 1620 times)

The Wild One, Forever

Re: Time Travel
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
I had to scroll to the bottom before reading, just to say that I deliciously look forward to reading this thread and all links within.  Time travel fascinates me like almost nothing else, and is my favorite situation in fiction, as well.  I have been working on a time travel story for many years, (fiction, sadly), and want to thank DottyG for starting this.

Off to read and savor now!    8)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

holly firestorm

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Everytime I see the Charlie Chaplin cell phone one I just wonder who he's calling - and where the hidden cell phone towers were back in those days.

;)
Did they have walkie talkies back then?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
I had to scroll to the bottom before reading, just to say that I deliciously look forward to reading this thread and all links within.  Time travel fascinates me like almost nothing else, and is my favorite situation in fiction, as well.  I have been working on a time travel story for many years, (fiction, sadly), and want to thank DottyG for starting this.

Off to read and savor now!    8)

:)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but there is a used bookstore in Montreal that my friends refer to as "the time travel bookshop," because when it opened, all the stock was books published in the 1960s and 1970s. A normal used bookstore will have a wider range, including quite a bit of fairly recent stuff. We don't actually believe that the shopkeepers are traveling in time, but it would be an interesting cover for time travelers who didn't want to be noticed: in almost any other business, people are going to notice that your stock is badly out of date.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
I swore I once posted my crazy time warp experience in the personal mysteries thread.  I don't remember the specifics since it's been a few years, but basically I drove through some weird fog and got home in an impossibly short amount of time.  I was two towns over and more than 30 minutes from my home, but arrived home like 5-10 minutes after I left even though I caught a bunch of red lights. 

I'll have to look for the post.

ETA:  Found the post

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=78048.msg2065664#msg2065664
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:39:25 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but there is a used bookstore in Montreal that my friends refer to as "the time travel bookshop," because when it opened, all the stock was books published in the 1960s and 1970s. A normal used bookstore will have a wider range, including quite a bit of fairly recent stuff. We don't actually believe that the shopkeepers are traveling in time, but it would be an interesting cover for time travelers who didn't want to be noticed: in almost any other business, people are going to notice that your stock is badly out of date.

Maybe this was what happened.  I know of three really wonderful used bookstores that were opened in order to sell one person's really really large library.  Well, one was a room added onto a fireplace supply store to sell the daughter's old paperbacks.  But, two were full stores.  What clued me in to the source of one of them was that most of the books were ones I would never ever sell and I am pretty ruthless about getting rid of books.  The other had an extensive Star Trek collection with no duplicates. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
I swore I once posted my crazy time warp experience in the personal mysteries thread.  I don't remember the specifics since it's been a few years, but basically I drove through some weird fog and got home in an impossibly short amount of time.  I was two towns over and more than 30 minutes from my home, but arrived home like 5-10 minutes after I left even though I caught a bunch of red lights. 

Speaking of time warps, there used to be a restaurant where time seems to go extra fast.  I told the story to coworkers and they admitted the same thing and just thought they were crazy.  We stopped going there because we only have an hour lunch.  No, it's not because it's an extra fun place or service is slow, it's just weird.  They are no longer in business.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

My theory would have been that they bought up their stock or inherited it when various people of their acquaintance were cleaning out houses of accumulated "stuff"....

But time travel is an interesting angle....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
I believe it was Isaac Asimov who wrote a story about time travel that made a horrifying point: how long ago is the past? A second ago? A millisecond? By putting a camera into the past, could you monitor someone's actions a fraction of a second ago?
As the author said, welcome to the fishbowl.