Author Topic: When people say "I left a message"  (Read 3136 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: When people say "I left a message"
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
Okay. Now this is very strange. Maybe the techno-gods are against me or whatever . . .

SIL called me last week asking if I would please be able to stop by a certain bakery in order to pick up a Cannoli cake that she ordered for her daughter's graduation party. I said "No problem just e-mail me the detailed info."

I talked to her tonight, because I never received an e-mail, and asked her if I still needed to pick up the cake?

She said "What do you mean you didn't get my e-mail? I sent you everything! A map, confirmation number, time for pick-up, etc."

I asked her what e-mail address she sent it to, she gave me the correct address . . . I'm here to tell you I did not received her e-mail. I double checked my spam/junk folder looked all over for an e-mail from SIL . . . nothing.

Maybe I'm just going techno-wonky, but this is really strange.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
The interweb spider ATE it?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 12:40:55 AM »
"Are you sure you dialed the right number?"

You know, that's an excellent point. I've received messages on my machine that clearly weren't meant for me. I've even called them back (if they left a number and it sounded important) and told them that they left a message at a wrong number.

No. I'm do not want to play the blame game.

In fact I bleeped over an "I never received a message" and went directly to "Since I didn't call you back by Xdate, is there something that we can do to solve this."

Everything turned out okay, I just had to jump through a few extra hoops. No biggie.

I was just wondering if there was a polite way to mention the lack of message without sounding like an "Uh, yeah, the check's in the mail" type of excuse.

From your responses, I'm guessing the answer is "No" and I handled the situation correctly.

Thanks! ;D

Feel free to add your funny "missed messages" stories! ;D

At a previous job (insurance adjuster) I got screamed at over the phone by a lawyer representing an injured person that they had faxed the paperwork to me three times - the last time, they dialed it themselves from their notes, so I was LYING if I said that I hadn't gotten it yet.

I asked him to read the number back...his handwriting must have been terrible because the area code had two errors in three numbers....I recognized the area code that he had inadvertently called as being about 800 miles WEST of where I was (somewhere in Texas) because it was the area code for San Angelo (since changed) and my in-laws (MIL, FIL, and Sister-in-law with her DDs) were living there - in the past, six or seven families (us, ILS, my parents, both brothers - one single & at home, the other married, and both of VorGuy's siblings) had been there.  I *knew* that area code well.

His "oh" was rather stunned but I got the impression that I should have made sure that he could read his own writing....somehow....over the phone.

A CW of mine had to fax something to Big Company (BC) that he was having problems with. He faxed the papers, then waited a few days and was upset that he hadn't received a response from them. He called them back and they said they never received the fax.

He verified the number and sent the fax again . . . by the 3rd time CW was pretty livid.

It just so happened that I needed to send a fax one day, so I waited while CW ranted about his problem as he was trying to send yet another fax. He asked me to check the number. He pushed the buttons and asked "That's the right number, Right?" Yup. Right number. "Then I put my papers in here and push this button, Right?"

As he pushed the buttons and the papers started going through I said "CW? Your papers are upside down. They need to be face up. You've been sending BC blank faxes."

So, yeah, I do understand how dialing wrong or leaving a message before the beep or not having your fax oriented correctly can come into play.

I'm glad I didn't press the issue.

I got a new cell phone about 1 1/2 years ago - actually, it was for my late Dh when he was in hospital, so he could contact me more easily.  We were never cell-phone people before that time.

Incredibly, these days I'm still getting plenty of text messages "hey Ken, I'm waiting for you at the ferry terminal!  Where are you??"  I can only conclude that Ken has a lot of stupid friends who can't figure out that the number was reassigned a long time ago.

OP, I realize that this doesn't solve your issue - just that it's easy for people to have the wrong number.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
Anytime I've gotten a new number, I've gotten an influx of calls for the last person who had the number and just my luck it's usually collections officers.  My current number I kept getting people looking for someone in the military.  Makes me wonder if he went AWOL.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kckgirl

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »
Anytime I've gotten a new number, I've gotten an influx of calls for the last person who had the number and just my luck it's usually collections officers.  My current number I kept getting people looking for someone in the military.  Makes me wonder if he went AWOL.

I'm so very tired of getting Katie's calls to remind her of Isabella's doctor appointments! I've had this number for more than a year. At first, I tried calling the (local) doctors' offices to let them know that they don't have this phone number anymore and to please take it out of their system. Since they still call, I just delete.
Maryland

rain

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
 ::)  I know from personal experience that voice mails can get lost in "the void"  ::)

there have been a few times that my cell doesn't ring - but I suddenly have an indicator saying I have a voice mail - once I listen to it, it's from several days ago (my vm dates my messages) -
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Jones

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »
It's the government.

They are currently backlogged on Verizon documents and will get to your correspondence in 3-6 weeks.

:P >:D

veronaz

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
::)  I know from personal experience that voice mails can get lost in "the void"  ::)

there have been a few times that my cell doesn't ring - but I suddenly have an indicator saying I have a voice mail - once I listen to it, it's from several days ago (my vm dates my messages) -

This has happened to me a few times.  Usually the time gap is several hours (not days) but still, it's weird.  The strange thing was that I got vms right away which had been left after those messages were left.  It hasn't happened a lot, but enough to make me think "huh?".   ???

Pen^2

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
I usually just say something like, "you know, I just checked my messages/email/voicemails a few minutes ago, but didn't get any from you. Maybe there was a problem with the number you typed. Nevermind; what did you want to talk to me about?" and just move on. Sometimes emails do get lost into cyberspace, yes, but I think a great deal more just don't get sent. It doesn't matter--state that you didn't receive it (so they can't blame you for not replying), encourage them to use the correct contact details in future (gives them an 'out'), and move on quickly.

One guy I used to work with was terrible with this kind of thing. Often, he would send you the email, but five minutes before he met with you, so most of the time you wouldn't have checked it yet. He'd get upset that you hadn't read six pages in five minutes. Once we had a meeting where he'd pulled the same trick, and he was (as usual) surprised that we hadn't all read his huge discourse sent only a few minutes prior about some presentation that was upcoming. And then, most frustratingly, he kept referring to the email he'd sent as though we all knew what he was talking about, and became frustrated when we couldn't follow what he was on about. Several times people asked him to just give us an overview of what was in the dingdangity email, since he wanted to talk about it so much and we couldn't follow him otherwise. He refused--"there's no point. If you decided not to read it, it's not my job to fix that." Ugh, loser.