General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Language Etiquette on a Dual Speech Board

<< < (3/3)

artk2002:
At the risk of sounding like a Sherman brothers song, thank you is thank you, no matter what the language. If you post regularly in English, I doubt that you're going to get flooded with German simply because you say "danke."

Onyx_TKD:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on June 26, 2013, 12:11:39 PM ---At the risk of sounding like a Sherman brothers song, thank you is thank you, no matter what the language. If you post regularly in English, I doubt that you're going to get flooded with German simply because you say "danke."

--- End quote ---

And I'd add: If someone does reply to you in German, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong in posting "danke." It's just a misunderstanding that you'll have to correct. I once sent an author an email entirely in English about his English language paper...and I got a reply entirely in the author's native language. I can only guess he saw that my surname comes from his language and assumed I spoke it (I don't, beyond a few basic words like "hello" and "thank you"). I had deliberately not used any words (e.g., "thank you") in his native language to avoid just that assumption--see how well that worked for me.  ;) People sometimes just make silly assumptions.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on June 26, 2013, 12:11:39 PM ---At the risk of sounding like a Sherman brothers song, thank you is thank you, no matter what the language. If you post regularly in English, I doubt that you're going to get flooded with German simply because you say "danke."

--- End quote ---

I agree.

I also don't think they'd particularly notice. they might, and if they do it'll be a little pleasant blip for the vast majority of them. (A few cranks might think it's a tad patronizing, but they're cranks, and you can't please them so don't try.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version