Author Topic: s/o Parked in my space....don't park in front of my mailbox, please!  (Read 6517 times)

GrammarNerd

We're moving into a new house, albeit slowly.  Not there full time yet.  We've met most of our neighbors and have done the basic chat...names, kids' ages, etc, but haven't spoken with them much more than that. 

New house has a mailbox on the street.  Yesterday, I drove up to new house to find a cute little sports car parked right in front of our house.  The front bumper was almost right at the corner of our driveway, and it was smack dab in front of our mailbox.  The lot is wide enough where cute sports car could have easily been parked somewhere not directly in front of our mailbox.  I went to check the mail and we didn't have any.  Then later, I got to thinking.....what if the mailman won't deliver the mail if there's some obstruction (like a cute little sports car) in front of the box? 

So if we continue to not get mail, I almost have to assume that it's because cute little sports car is parked in front of the box and mailman won't deliver it.  And in that case, what do we do?  Leave a note under the wiper?  Call the police non-emergency line to ask for advice?  Knock on neighbors' doors and ask about the car?  Call the post office? (We're normally getting mail every day and have for a while, so to NOT get any mail is unusual.)

And seriously, the placement of this car in relation to our mailbox and driveway is really pretty nervy.  I know streets are public as far as parking goes, but in the stretch between our driveway and neighbor's driveway, about five of these little sports cars would fit.  So there's no way that the owner HAD to park it right there to block our mailbox and make us have to be extra diligent b/c he's so close to our driveway..

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: s/o Parked in my space....don't park in front of my mailbox, please!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
I would assume they are just oblivious. I used to live in a house that easily parked 3 cars in front of it, whereas most houses on my block only had room for 1 car in front. we definitely needed the 3 spots on the block. Well the guy across the street would park in front of my house. no biggie... except he liked to line up his drivers door so it was a perfect straight line across the street to his front door, thus taking up 1.5 spots. Once day i asked him - nicely - "hey George, would you mind when you park being about 4 feet further back? When you line up, there's only room for 2 cars, but if you backed up a few feet, 3 cars would fit." He looked at the street and realized, and from then on, he never lined up to his front door again. He just seriously never thought it through beyond the convenience to him - it wasn't malice so much as shortsightedness.

So first I think you should approach it like that - that for some esoteric reason this spot seems desirable to them, without them ever considering its disrupting you.

If all else fails, you might want to consider putting your mailbox at the corner of your driveway though, since people are less likely to block the driveway.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:33:38 AM »

If all else fails, you might want to consider putting your mailbox at the corner of your driveway though, since people are less likely to block the driveway.

The thing is that it already IS almost at the corner of the driveway.  Any closer, and it would pretty much be a hazard to pulling in.  It's within about 4 feet of the corner of the driveway.  This is a small car; two seater.  The bumper is by the corner of the driveway, and the door is in front of the box.  And the mailbox is on a post dug into the ground, so it's not easy to move.  And I just planted perennials around the post to make it look nicer.

I could ask the neighbors, but I just don't know who to ask.  We've never seen the car before yesterday, but it hasn't moved at all.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »
Stick a polite note on the windshield, explaining that you don't get mail when the car is blocking the mailbox.

CluelessBride

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:53:08 AM »
Was NewHouse previously unoccupied? If so, you may find that when the car's owners realize someone is living there now, they will be more mindful of where they park. Also, has this happened more than once?  First, I'd wait and see what happens - and if you happen to see the car's owner casually mention that it is causing a problem if you continue to not get mail (if you want to know quickly, you could always send yourself a letter - or postcard since they are cheaper to mail).

While you are waiting, I also suggest looking up the parking regulations for your new area. It's a good idea anyway, because you will want to know for yourself/your guests what the rules are. And what you find out can help guide you in how to proceed if this becomes an actual Issue. For example, in my area you can't park within 5ft of a driveway, so here it would be absolutely reasonable to escalate to "Neighbor, you need to stop parking so close to my driveway and blocking my mailbox" if they ignored a more passive first request like, "Hey neighbor, when you park in front of my box, I'm unable to get mail delivery. Would it be possible to park a few feet back?". In an area where the car is parked legally, if the first request is ignored talking to the post office about your mail delivery may make more sense.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:04:03 AM »
If the mailbox is blocked, the po wont deliver the mail.  I believe it is illegal to block a mailbox.   

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:18:31 AM »
If the mailbox is blocked, the po wont deliver the mail.  I believe it is illegal to block a mailbox.

I don't think there's any law about blocking personal mailboxes.

MindsEye

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »

I don't think there's any law about blocking personal mailboxes.

It might depend on the area... where I live, blocking access to a mailbox (personal or not) falls under the umbrella of "interfering with the delivery of the US Mail" and mail delivery people have the authority to ticket cars that are blocking mailbox access.

OP, I POD the others who advised you to look up parking regulations in your area and to also talk to your local post office to find out what your options are. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
From the USPS website:

Mailbox blockage by a vehicle may also prevent the delivery of mail. According to our policy, the city or rural carrier should get out of the vehicle to make delivery if the mailbox is temporarily blocked by a vehicle.  However, if the carrier continually experiences a problem in serving curb line or rural boxes where the customer is able to control on‑street parking, the postmaster may withdraw delivery service.

I'd contact the local Post Office a) to inform them that the car isn't yours and b) ask them what you can do--they might have some suggestions.

Then, as I met the neighbors, I'd try to find out who owns the car, so that you can ask them to please stop parking so close to your driveway and not to block the mailbox. If you can't find out the owner and the car is there on a regular basis, I'd write a nice note and leave it under their windshield wiper.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

GrammarNerd

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
Ha!  I looked up the parking ordinances online and they say this: " No motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or mobile home may be parked within three feet of a driveway or mailbox, in such manner as to block the sidewalk and/or multiuse path or trail."

It's DEFINITELY in front of my mailbox.  I mean, DUH.  Not a hard concept.  Everyone has at least a two car garage and driveway.  Tiny car. Park it in your driveway already!

I'll be putting a call into the police non-emergency number.

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
Maybe this is something that should go in the "things adults should know" thread -- you shouldn't park in front of a mailbox during potential mail delivery hours and you shouldn't park in front of trash bins when they've been pulled to the curb for pick-up. But yeah, there are some people who just don't know this.

When the mailbox is at the curb, normally that means that the mail carrier rides along in a vehicle designed for delivering to those mailboxes without the carrier having to get out of the car. So if s/he can't do that, yeah, they'll skip.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
We got a notice about the mailbox being blocked... in our case, it was our fault, as we didn't know our area requires 30 ft.  around the mailbox (15 feet on each side).  They definitely will get annoyed and leave a note, then stop delivering (we also once had a note left that we wouldn't get any more mail until we cleared away a spider's web, which was a hazard to the mail delivery person).

MrTango

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
The city I grew up in has an ordinance that makes parking in front of a mailbox an offense (same fine as if a person were parking in front of a fire hydrant), and allows for the post office or the property owner to call the police to have the offending vehicle tagged and towed.

I'm not sure about the city where I live now, however the mailboxes for my neighborhood are on private property, so the HOA or the management company can have vehicles towed at their discretion without having to involve the police.

My advice would be to call your local police department's administrative or non-emergency line and ask them about it.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
I had this happen to me.   I left a note for the mailman and I taped it to the top inside front of the box so he would see it.  It went something like this:

Mailman,
The blue car that sometimes blocks my mailbox is not mine.  It belongs to the XXXX house next door.  My Grandfather delivered mail, and I would never do anything to make your job harder.
Regards,
Sophia

After that, I always got my mail and I figured out that the house next door did not get their mail when they blocked my mailbox.  They stopped blocking any mailboxes. 

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
Another thing you could try would be to figure out whose car it is and then say "Hi! We are moving in to the house over there. I noticed that sometimes you parked your car by our mailbox but the postman has difficulty delivering if your car is there. We will be moving in next week so probably then is a good time to start parking by your house.  By the way, I love your hydrangeas! What garden center do you use? "