Author Topic: s/o Parked in my space....don't park in front of my mailbox, please!  (Read 6502 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: s/o Parked in my space....don't park in front of my mailbox, please!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
They put the note in the next day.

kckgirl

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
Just a thought and a bit off topic--why will mail carriers put a note in your box saying they can't deliver the mail because the box is blocked?!?!  Do they fold the note like a paper airplane and sail it into the mail box?   ::)

I think it's to get their point across. My son blocked my mailbox once in the evening, intending to leave shortly after. The vehicle wouldn't start and he had his wife pick him up. The next day I had a note from the mailman about the blocked mailbox. I couldn't move the vehicle because it was locked. Son had to come and put it in neutral to move it out of the way.
Maryland

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
We've had a similar problem - about a year ago, a new house of worship was built diagonally across the street from us.  This particular religion has prayers multiple times a day, with a major one at 2PM.  They have very limited parking, so each day around 1:30, cars start parking up and down the street, including many in front of our house.  They usually start leaving by 2:30.  Nearly every time I've been home to witness it someone has parked blocking our mailbox and on a couple occasions someone has parked blocking our driveway!! 

Our mail generally gets delivered anytime between 1 and 4 PM.  Normally we aren't home at 2PM during the week, so I have no idea how many times there's been overlap between the parking and attempted mail delivery.  We did get a note in our box at one point saying mail was not delivered due to a blocked mailbox. 

Whenever I am home and someone has started to park there, I go out and nicely explain the situation and ask that they please not park blocking our mailbox, but I'm sure it still happens.  I've thought about going to talk to whomever is the head of the place in question, but I am a bit nervous because I believe there are some restrictions around where women can be in the building and while I do want this resolved, I also want to be respectful about it.  I think I'd have a hard time convincing my husband to go over and discuss it. 

To finally get to my point - I swear I have one - we are thinking of putting up a sign stating "Please do not park blocking mailbox".   However that is because it's not one particular person or neighbor doing it.  I agree that if it happens again, you should bring it up with them in as friendly a manner as possible, as they may not realize they were causing an issue.

I would contact the clergy-person, explain the problem to them and ask them to please remind their parishioners from time to time not to block mailboxes or driveways. If that does not help I'd look up appropriate ordinances and start calling the police or a tow truck as applicable.