Author Topic: s/o Parked in my space....don't park in front of my mailbox, please!  (Read 5844 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: s/o Parked in my space....don't park in front of my mailbox, please!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »
I would try and find out who's care it is, and let them know in a friendly manner that you aren't getting you mail because of the position of the car. If that doesn't work a friendly letter.

Hello Neighbor,
      We just moved into (House number street). We have been notified that we won't get mail delivery if a car is parked withing X feet of our mail box. Please park outside of this zone around our mailbox.

Thanks,
Your name

I had a similar problem with the people across the street. They would park smack in the middle of the curb in front of my house. Thing was due to the slope of my drive, a curve in the road, and the height of their SUV - they were blocking my view of approaching traffic as I backed out. I told them about the problem one evening and they started parking a few feet back. Now I could see the approaching traffic.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
I think it would be more neighborly to knock on neighbors' door and find out who owns the car rather than get the police involved.

You are new to the neighborhood.  Do you really want your first contact with the people living close to you to be that you called the police on them?

Find out who owns the car and go to them, introduce yourself and say "Please don't park your car there anymore, you're blocking my mailbox and making it hard for me to access my driveway."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
Ha!  I looked up the parking ordinances online and they say this: " No motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or mobile home may be parked within three feet of a driveway or mailbox, in such manner as to block the sidewalk and/or multiuse path or trail."

It's DEFINITELY in front of my mailbox.  I mean, DUH.  Not a hard concept.  Everyone has at least a two car garage and driveway.  Tiny car. Park it in your driveway already!

I'll be putting a call into the police non-emergency number.

Can you paint the curb?
I'd sure be tempted to!

And I agree--it's only one time so far. Don't assume it's bigger, and don't assume the person wouldn't be very happy to park differently if only it were brought to their attention.

If it turns out to be too hard to figure out whose car it is, then yes, a note would be great, and I like kherbert's suggestion.

kakack

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Is this particular spot in the shade or the sun?  I know I always try to find a shady spot first, before parking in full sunlight, when parking on the street.  Although, I do know better than to block mailboxes or driveways.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
The car was gone when my DH got home the next night, so we didn't have to escalate further with either the post office, the police, or with a note.

Today I saw my next door neighbor (one that I know a bit better) and asked her about the car.  She said it belongs to the house across the street from her.  They were cleaning out their house and had stuff in their garage, so apparently no room for the car.  Funny that they didn't park it in front of their house or my next door neighbors' house.  Perhaps they figured that we weren't living there yet, so they made an incorrect assumption that we didn't get mail yet and assumed that spot was fair game?  Don't know.  But if it happens again, at least I know who it belongs to so I can ask them to move it. 

PeterM

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
The car was gone when my DH got home the next night, so we didn't have to escalate further with either the post office, the police, or with a note.

Today I saw my next door neighbor (one that I know a bit better) and asked her about the car.  She said it belongs to the house across the street from her.  They were cleaning out their house and had stuff in their garage, so apparently no room for the car.  Funny that they didn't park it in front of their house or my next door neighbors' house.  Perhaps they figured that we weren't living there yet, so they made an incorrect assumption that we didn't get mail yet and assumed that spot was fair game?  Don't know.  But if it happens again, at least I know who it belongs to so I can ask them to move it.

Glad to hear it ended well. I have to say, I wouldn't even park that close to the driveway or mailbox of a house I believed to be vacant, at least not if there were other options available.  Why take the chance? Especially that close to the driveway - unsold houses could have all sorts of traffic moving in and out.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
If the mailbox is blocked, the po wont deliver the mail.  I believe it is illegal to block a mailbox.

The PO wont deliver if thr mailbox is blocked. 

I don't think there's any law about blocking personal mailboxes.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »

If you do end up having to ask the owner not to park in front of your mailbox, also add that they need to leave 10-15 feet on either side of the mailbox free. This is so that the mail truck can pull up to the mailbox.

I live in a two family house. When new people moved in downstairs, they parked right in front of the mailboxes. In a way, this is understandable, because what they were doing was parking so that the passenger door of the car lined up with the front door of the house. But this meant that the rear half of the car blocked the mailboxes. Our landlord told them to make sure the mailboxes weren't blocked.

So then they pulled up very carefully so that the front bumper of the car was about a foot away from the mailboxes. This was no better, because the mail truck still couldn't pull up to the mailboxes. It was three weeks of skipped mail deliveries before the landlord could get them to park correctly. (And they had assigned off-street parking spaces in the driveway. They just didn't to use them.)
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »

In the U.S., there's really no such thing as a "personal" mailbox. If you put out a mailbox for the depositing of U.S. Postal Service mail, it is governed and protected by U.S. law. At least, that has been my experience (as a paper carrier forbidden from putting newspapers into the safety of the enclosed box on rainy days)--and if anyone TRULY needs to know the legalities of this, they need to seek out a different source than EHell or any of us here.

But let's not get into legalities, because this is an etiquette forum, and none of us really know the laws anyway. And because it gets threads locked.

I only wrote the first paragraph to point out that earlier assertions of global fact of law were not to be relied upon. (Neither is my info--but taken together, the two pieces should clue someone that this forum is not a credible sourse.)

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
Maybe when the little car parked there were 20 other cars in the area, and the little car took the last sliver of space?  I'd leave a note on their windshield if it happened again, but I agree with other poste
rs--do you want your first contact with some of your neighbors to be a call to the police because you didn't get mail delivery on one day?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »

In the U.S., there's really no such thing as a "personal" mailbox. If you put out a mailbox for the depositing of U.S. Postal Service mail, it is governed and protected by U.S. law. At least, that has been my experience (as a paper carrier forbidden from putting newspapers into the safety of the enclosed box on rainy days)--and if anyone TRULY needs to know the legalities of this, they need to seek out a different source than EHell or any of us here.

But let's not get into legalities, because this is an etiquette forum, and none of us really know the laws anyway. And because it gets threads locked.

I only wrote the first paragraph to point out that earlier assertions of global fact of law were not to be relied upon. (Neither is my info--but taken together, the two pieces should clue someone that this forum is not a credible sourse.)

My point was that blocking a mailbox in front of someone's house is unlikely to have any other consequence than not getting any mail delivered to the box.    Is the letter carrier going to give you a ticket? No.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
But it's quite possible that a car could get ticketed or towed. Especially if a homeowner went to the cops to ask for help.

As posts here show, there *are* some municipalities where *local* law governs this, and you can get ticketed just as you would if you parked in front of a hydrant or on a no-parking side of the street.

So knowing one's local laws can be useful if you face a situation like that.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
I was thinking about this thread over the weekend because I live in a neighborhood where some people have their mailboxes attached to the house and some people have their boxes on a post at the curb. I've never lived in a house with the mailbox at the curb and it wouldn't have occurred to me that the post office wouldn't deliver if the mailbox was blocked. It just wouldn't enter my thoughts. I can see myself parking in front of someone's house and inadvertently blocking their mail delivery. I would hope that if I did that to a neighbor, they would just ask me to move my car and tell my why. Going to the police as a first step seems pretty un-neighborly.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

suekel

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
We've had a similar problem - about a year ago, a new house of worship was built diagonally across the street from us.  This particular religion has prayers multiple times a day, with a major one at 2PM.  They have very limited parking, so each day around 1:30, cars start parking up and down the street, including many in front of our house.  They usually start leaving by 2:30.  Nearly every time I've been home to witness it someone has parked blocking our mailbox and on a couple occasions someone has parked blocking our driveway!! 

Our mail generally gets delivered anytime between 1 and 4 PM.  Normally we aren't home at 2PM during the week, so I have no idea how many times there's been overlap between the parking and attempted mail delivery.  We did get a note in our box at one point saying mail was not delivered due to a blocked mailbox. 

Whenever I am home and someone has started to park there, I go out and nicely explain the situation and ask that they please not park blocking our mailbox, but I'm sure it still happens.  I've thought about going to talk to whomever is the head of the place in question, but I am a bit nervous because I believe there are some restrictions around where women can be in the building and while I do want this resolved, I also want to be respectful about it.  I think I'd have a hard time convincing my husband to go over and discuss it. 

To finally get to my point - I swear I have one - we are thinking of putting up a sign stating "Please do not park blocking mailbox".   However that is because it's not one particular person or neighbor doing it.  I agree that if it happens again, you should bring it up with them in as friendly a manner as possible, as they may not realize they were causing an issue.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »
Just a thought and a bit off topic--why will mail carriers put a note in your box saying they can't deliver the mail because the box is blocked?!?!  Do they fold the note like a paper airplane and sail it into the mail box?   ::)