Author Topic: Son of "Brain-Hurty Conversations"  (Read 2674 times)

LazyDaisy

Re: Son of "Brain-Hurty Conversations"
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
I can only speculate that the suggestions are based on keywords from the original purchase:

Three different versions of the Christian bible (the keyword was probably "stained glass" and since many well-known christian churches feature stained glass... ok it's a stretch)
Natural pest control (are Bush Babies considered a pest where they are native?)
Diabetic cooking (a stretch but was anything key-worded for "sweet" At first I thought they might be fruit eaters but nope, they eat insects so I can't think of a reason for Diabetic references)
An Official Game Guide to something called "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" which seems to be some sort of computer game. (animals -- or else there is a Bush Baby character in the game)
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls  (what is with the diabetes thing? ??? ) (OWLS?!?)
1001 Things You Never Knew (I can imagine that trivia about Bush Babies appears somewhere in the book -- one thing I didn't know until just now, Bush Babies are actually found in Africa)
2013 Rand-McNally Road Atlas of the US (no idea unless the keyword was something about travel)
1907 Daily Heavenly Manna for the Household of Faith (same as above for the Christian reference)

And the topping on this Weirdness Cake:
The Pistols of Germany and It's (sic) Allies In Two World Wars.  Volume I (that one does take the cake. Wow.)

Edited because I just realized I mis-read the OP about "Bush Beauties" instead of Bush Babies. Although the artwork looks very much like a Bush Baby to me. So please disregard.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:06:49 PM by LazyDaisy »
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Pioneer

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
Ha!  My college-aged kids -- each pursuing vastly different degrees - use my Amazon account to buy textbooks.  Mix in some tunes, DVDs and books (including a really wacky gift for a friend,) and we get some incredibly odd "You might also likes."

The best was when we helped plan and purchase the music for a "Hillbilly Hoedown" themed convention.  There is some heinously awful music in the world, and the computer thinks I want to buy every single trangy song it can recommend!
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
I use a homeschool curriculum to teach my kids, and sometimes I'll look up books on Amazon to see reviews and more information.  It always amuses me that *almost* every time, most of the "suggested" books are also used in this same homeschool curriculum!  So I'm sure there's a huge bias for some items because they're on some list or something, and then a ton of people look up everything on the list at the same time, so you end up with a bunch of items that aren't at all similar being grouped under "suggested" because of some list they ended up on (which might even be as disconnected as somebody's favorites, or the like).  The more popular/widely-read the list or the more obscure the item, the more likely it would be that the connected items would end up on the "suggested" list.

I did end up with some really creepy books ending up on my Amazon suggested list at some point, and no idea how.  And my in-laws  had some weird issue with Netflix at one point, where it suddenly decided that if they like historical British drama, they MUST also like S&M, anime, and urban movies, too.  And maybe gay cowboys.  Because, hey, all *very* similar to Foyle's War, you know?  I think it stopped doing that after a while but they never knew what set it off.

cwm

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
We get some pretty strange Netflix recommendations as well.  The household members are:

64yo woman who likes chick flicks and lifetime movies
66yo man who likes Scifi and documentaries.
37yo woman who likes crime dramas and medical dramas, along with a few documentaries and suspense movies
14yo boy who likes crime dramas, scifi and action flicks, and military documentaries
11yo boy who likes Rocky and Bullwinkle, Phineas and Ferb, and anything related to ghost stories and/or paranormal activity
11yo girl who's pretty stereotypical in what she likes to watch: princess, mermaids and most Disney stuff
10yo boy who likes military stuff and not much else.

I think we pretty much have everything covered.

Nope. My BF shares his Netflix with his sis/BIL/their kids and his dad. And there's always some...uhm..."romantic" movies listed in the recently watched. He's been getting some VERY interesting recommendations. At first when I didn't realize how many people watched stuff on there I was a bit weirded out. Now having The Babysitter's Club and some adult movies on the recently watched makes a bit more sense.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »
Oh our Netflix recommendations are rather interesting as well.  It's listed under DH's name since he started up the account and one of the first things he selected to give them an idea of what we as a family like to watch?  My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic.

Since then I've upset the balance by streaming Dark Shadows, the tv series, The Poker House, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Stand and a few others.  :) 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »
OK, so it's not exactly a face-to-face conversation.  It's Ebay.   

I just bought a stained-glass pattern book called Bush Beauties.  It's Australian animals and flowers. 

Now I wouldn't think it was strange if Ebay then thought that I might be interested in other stained-glass pattern books, or other books by the same author, or other books about Australian flora and/or fauna.

What Ebay actually does think I ought to be interested in, "based on what I just bought" is the following:

Three different versions of the Christian bible
Natural pest control
Diabetic cooking
An Official Game Guide to something called "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" which seems to be some sort of computer game.
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls  (what is with the diabetes thing? ??? ) (OWLS?!?)
1001 Things You Never Knew
2013 Rand-McNally Road Atlas of the US
1907 Daily Heavenly Manna for the Household of Faith

And the topping on this Weirdness Cake:
The Pistols of Germany and It's (sic) Allies In Two World Wars.  Volume I

Too funny.

Apropos of nothing, I LOVE Jillian Sawyer's work! I've made most of the fairies in her first fairy book. Lovely, lovely pieces.
I use mine for quilts instead of stained glass, but I agree.  I did one for Elfqueen from the Sea Faeries book. Lots of fun, finding just the right fabric for this and that mermaid.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

whatsanenigma

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
On a slightly different note, I have been watching on Youtube a lot of "bad auditions" for shows such as X Factor, American Idol, etc.  And for some reason, Youtube seems to think that this means I would like to watch a video called "conversations with my two year old".  I haven't actually watched it yet, but it is almost always in that sidebar of suggestions throughout a bad auditions binge.

Maybe it is because so many of these rejected contestants act like two year olds, who knows?   :D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
On a slightly different note, I have been watching on Youtube a lot of "bad auditions" for shows such as X Factor, American Idol, etc.  And for some reason, Youtube seems to think that this means I would like to watch a video called "conversations with my two year old".  I haven't actually watched it yet, but it is almost always in that sidebar of suggestions throughout a bad auditions binge.

Maybe it is because so many of these rejected contestants act like two year olds, who knows?   :D

It's one of those clips which suddenly get really popular on the social media circuit.  I was "meh" on it - it's a guy who wrote down what his two-year-old said, then did some video clips putting the two-year-old's words in another adult's mouth.  It came off more creepy than funny, IMHO.

SheltieMom

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
Only slightly off topic, I saw this on Pinterest today:
http://www.magnificentbliss.com/2009/07/28/even-more-evidence-that-im-a-dork-diaper-genie-refills/
She shows how to use trash bags to make Diaper Genie refills.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!