Author Topic: Running out of series! (Reader's Dilemma)  (Read 7415 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Running out of series! (Reader's Dilemma)
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga.  We named one of our sets of fosters after characters/animals in the series: Zap, Butterbug, Bel Thorne and Boojum (for Bujold)
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
And another high/epic fantasy: Jane Lindskold's Wolf series.

I send Michelle West, too.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
Wow, this is such an awesome thread. :D I wish I had more time to read. I'm pretty slow, though, and I lack follow-through...  ::)

I was about to come back and list Robin McKinley as well. I thought "The Blue Sword" was really well-done, especially for being a bit older, with a strong female protagonist. I recall it as a gloss on British-controlled India only "the hill tribes" have mysterious magical powers, and an "English" woman ends up living among them and becoming a warrior. To my mind it avoided a lot of the cliches/tropes that similar stories often fall into. That book is fairly short and complete in and of itself, but it seems like she later wrote other books in the same universe.

Someone recommended the Belgariad series by David Eddings to me as a good place to start for hardcore fantasy. I was intimidated by the length, so maybe that would be good for you. ;)
~Lynn2000

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
Wow - what a pleasant way to spend a quiet day at work - checking in occasionally and seeing that my etiquette friends have made a million suggestions. Thanks so much, everyone - and keep them coming, I'm not the only one making a list I suspect!

Firecat

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga.  We named one of our sets of fosters after characters/animals in the series: Zap, Butterbug, Bel Thorne and Boojum (for Bujold)

The Sharing Knife series by Bujold is good, too (it starts with "Beguilement"). I also just recently finished her "Curse of Chalion," which has two other books in the same world, "Paladin of Souls" and...something with "Hunt" in the title.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
You might possibly like some of Harry Turtledove's in-the-general-fantasy-area series.  His "Videssos" novels -- eleven or twelve in all, covering between them three widely-separated-in-time "historical" periods.  The realm of Videssos greatly resembles Earth's Byzantine Empire (and the various neighbouring nations closely correspond to Byzantium's neighbours in "our" history; but in this universe of Turtledove's, magic is commonplace, and put to a great many uses.

Also, Turtledove's "Darkness" series -- six novels, taking the events of World War 2 as a "template", so to speak; but in a fantasy universe with a quite strong "medieval" feel to it -- where, again, magic is commonplace, and largely substitutes for our world's technology. I love the "Darkness" series; but in this, I seem to be in a minority among Turtledove fans, most of whom seem to think it a complete "turkey".  Might be worth giving it a go, anyway?

Like you -- I've been an S.M. Stirling enthusiast, but got highly fed-up with the "magical / mystical / mythological" turn which the Emberverse series has taken. There's a series of novels (six or seven, I think) written a couple of decades ago by Stirling and David Drake, in collaboration -- the "General" or "Raj Whitehall" series. Humans, with some cultures recognizable from earth, who via space travel have colonised a distant planet, Earth-like but with various interesting detail differences: much warfare, bound up with a hard struggle to preserve civilisation on the planet, and prevent a wholesale collapse into barbarism. I found this series, an agreeable read.

I realise from your posts, that single novels are liable to keep you going only for very short spells; but I presume you know Stirling's stand-alone novels, "The Peshawar Lancers", and "Conquistador". I find both these, superb; and do wish that SMS would write more books set in the universes of those two, instead of the endless dratted Emberverse.

Pietri

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »
You might like Maria V. Snyder - I loved her "Study" books (Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study). It's not set in a standard "swords & stuff" fantasy universe, has a strong female main character and even though there's a bit of a love story from perhaps the end of book 1 it didn't annoy me - I usually run if somebody recommends a romance novel ;)

MummySweet

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »
I'm not sure if the OP would like these, but the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima is excellent.   It's aimed at a YA audience, but feels a lot fresher and more character driven than a lot of current YA offerings.   

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
If you don't mind romance as a side dish to other happenings in a plot, I might recommend the Seal Island trilogy by Sophie Moss.  It takes place in Ireland and has a lot of fantasy elements such as witches, selkies and mermaids. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sophie-Moss/e/B0064DR39I/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1371846914&sr=1-2-ent
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro`s Saint-Germain series. Many strong female characters, a couple of whom have their own books.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

snowfire

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Seconding the St. Germain books.  I've got them all, mostly in hardcover.  I've had some fun trying to research the real St. Germain. (Yes, he was a real man, very mysterious.  She talks about him in some of the early books.)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »
What a great thread!  I love big meaty book series.  Most of what I read has been mentioned, but there's a few that haven't.

Julian May - Saga of the Exiles - a four book series.  She also wrote other related books such as Intervention, Diamond Mask, Jack the Bodiless, all of which are sort of concurrent / precursors to the Exile series.  It's a mix of sci fi, fantasy and I love them.

Second the suggestions for Raymond Feist and Edward Rutherfurd.  The ER novels are big, fascinating and enjoyable.

Nobody has yet mentioned Anne Rice.  I pretty much love anything she's written, but the Mayfair Witch saga and the Chronicles of the Vampires are probably the best known. 

There are heaps of low-priced series available on Amazon-format ebooks.  Deborah Geary's Modern Witch series is entertaining - they're light and fluffy, but I love the warmth, charm and humour of the characters. 

MummyPumpkin83

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »
Seconding the David Eddings suggestions. He also has some stand alone books, TheRedemption of Althalus is one, and The Elder Gods is another series of four.

Also Garth Nix has a couple of series, I've read tha Abhorsen series and the Seventh Tower, he has another one at least.

Robin Hobb has a few series set in the same world with different characters. Just found out that she has also written under a pen name.

Stephen R Lawhead has quite a few series. I have started his Pendragon cycle. A retelling of the Arthurian legend, starting at Atlantis and merlin's parents/grandparents.
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

Reika

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
If you don't mind epic fantasy there's Malazan Book of Fallen series by Steven Erikson, possibly the grandest fantasy ever with tons of races and cultures and gods and magic and main characters (including some strong women). I've tried recommending it to people over the years but I don't think that anyone of them has read it, probably because the series is ten books of about 800 pages each but that wouldn't be a problem for you. They aren't the easiest and fluffiest fantasy but I found them well worth the effort (and I tend to only read books with guaranteed happy endings but I'm willing to make an exception for Erikson). He's writing a new trilogy in the same world and his friend (and co-creator of the World) Ian Esslemont has written maybe six thick novels about it too. They created the world together, I think that they're both archeologists or anthropologists and it shows.

Yes! Someone else who has read this series. I agree, it isn't very light hearted (though there are moments of dark humor), but it is a very vivid setting with some amazing characters. And Erikson did have me bawling my eyes out in a few spots. But it was nice to have such a massively epic series to sink my teeth into. The funny thing is that I just started re-reading the series.

For something that isn't quite as epic, I have to second Anne Bishop's Dark Jewels series, and while not as dense as the Malazan series, Bishop knows how to craft an emotional rollercoaster.

If you don't mind fluff, you may want to check out Debora Geary's Modern Witch series, I can rip through one of the books in a day, but it's full of very strong women and it picks me up emotionally when I'm having a rough time.

Have to agree about checking out the Dresden Files. It's a first person from Harry's POV, but there's some incredibly strong women that he deals with. And often bucks heads with. Sometimes it's debatable as to who has the thicker skull. ;)

I used to love Lackey's stuff, but she's churned out so many books, the quality has gotten really hit or miss in my opinion.

Also have to agree about the Soprano Sorceress by Modesitt. The same with the Talent series by McCaffrey.

While I'm not that big of a fan of John Ringo anymore, and never was a fan of David Webster, you may want to check out their Empire of Man series (though I don't think all the books are available as electronic format). Lots of strong female characters in that.

Hm, will have to mull over what else I've read (feel like I'm forgetting something).

jolyan

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2013, 12:15:48 AM »
If you like mystery/crime I suggest Stuart Woods. He has a few different series and they all have cross overs. There is over 40 books, I believe. Start with the Holly Barker ones since you like strong female leads. Karin Slaughter is a good one too.