Author Topic: Running out of series! (Reader's Dilemma)  (Read 7359 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: Running out of series! (Reader's Dilemma)
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 12:52:22 AM »
Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet. The first one is "A Shadow in Summer." (Focuses more on male than female characters; there are also a few non-gendered ones.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Library Dragon

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2013, 01:58:51 AM »
Forgive me if I missed anyone's recommendation of Lloyd Alexander.  Great fantasy that is often overlooked.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Alexander#Prydain_series  For some reason Disney made the "Black Cauldron" into an animated movie instead of the first book.

Lev Grossman's The Magicians and The Magician King were both good.  

Karen Moning's Fever series may be more sex than you want, but if you are really stuck it's not bad brain candy. 

I'm not a fan of the Mists of Avalon.  Too much agenda getting in the way of the storytelling. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ebelie

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2013, 02:49:07 AM »
I'm a big fan of Ursula Le Guin and Tanith Lee (more so Le Guin) for fantasies with well developed female characters. 

Gene Wolfe writes dense fantasy that I read when I'm up for a challenge, although he's sadly lacking in strong female characters.  His Latro in the Mist series and Book of the New Sun series are possibly my all time favourite fantasy books ever. 

Isobelle Carmody is an Australian fantasy author who writes more young adult and has a terrible record for finishing series in a timely manner, but her female characters are wonderful and I love her stories.  Alyzon Whitestarr and The Gathering are great stand alones about ordinary teenagers who discover they have special powers, and I think she finally, finally got around to finishing the Obernewtyn Chronicles.

If you're interested in historical, then my favourite author is Sharon Penman (I think she's Sharon Kay Penman in the US) - particularly The Sunne in Splendor, which is a sympathetic look at Richard III, and Here Be Dragons, which looks at King John and Wales through his bastard daughter's eyes.

ETA: After thinking about it and re-reading your initial post, I strongly recommend Isobelle Carmody's Alyzon Whitestarr.  It's available on Kindle although it's not cheap, and even though it's YA, I read it as an adult and really enjoyed it.   In fact, I think I'm going to go re-read it right now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:54:40 AM by ebelie »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2013, 04:55:53 AM »
The Vicki Nelson Series (also known as the Blood Books)  by Tanya Huff.  It's a fanstasy about a former cop turned PI who is losing her sight and a vampire she teams up with to solve supernatural cases. There's even a spinoff called the Smoke Books featuring one of her informants and the Vampire...

She's written other stuff too. Here's a wikipedia link for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanya_Huff

cabbageweevil

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
I can recommend the "A Land Fit for Heroes" quartet of novels, in sequence action-wise, by Phillip Mann. Rather weird, but fascinating.  Premise is: the Roman Empire did not fall, but lasted up to the present day and spread throughout the whole globe; developed advanced technology, often along very different lines from what came about in "our time-line". The quartet is set mostly in northern England, taking place at the present day -- concerns the often uneasy relations between the Roman overlords and the subjugated Britons.

I gather Phillip Mann has written other sci-fi / fantasy works as well; but I've read only ALFFH.

SpottedPony

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Another author you might find interesting is P. C. Hodgell.  The reader meets the main character, Jame, when she is injured, missing much of her memory, and on the run from zombie like creatures.  She must take the pieces of her father's sword and his ring(still on his finger), to her twin brother.  She gets side tracked by a city that is infested with gods, and that's understating the situation, Jame and her people have only one god and can't wrap their minds around the possibility of more than one existing.  The books in the series are;  The God Stalker Chronicles, Seeker's Bane, Bound In Blood, and Honor's Paradox.  She has just sent the next in the series to the publisher, Sea Of Time.  She also has a short story collection with stories relating to the series, Blood And Ivory:  A Tapestry.  Don't be put off by the covers, apparently the publisher wanted to attract more male readers. 

Spotted Pony

Reika

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »
I just remembered another excellent series with a strong female lead: Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. It was originally a trilogy, but it's been expanded. It was one of the few series that I liked how paladins were portrayed. It can be brutal in spots though.

Library Dragon

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. It is the prequel to The Blue Sword. This book is Aerin's evolution from the shy, retiring daughter of the King to heroic queen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
If you like historical fiction with strong female leads you might like Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series. The heroine is an Irish lawyer in the nineth century, and since the author is a professional expert on the period the research and detail is fascinating.

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
I quickly skimmed and didn't see these mentioned:

1.  Anne McCaffrey's Rowan Series (sci fantasy)-Rowan and Damia and are all awesome.
2.  Anything by Beverly Lewis (Amish fiction)
3.  Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini (fantasy-Arya is a great character)
4.  The Cat Who....fun loving mysteries with many females. 

magicdomino

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »
I just remembered another excellent series with a strong female lead: Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. It was originally a trilogy, but it's been expanded. It was one of the few series that I liked how paladins were portrayed. It can be brutal in spots though.

While we are recommending Elizabeth Moon, her hard science fiction is excellent.  I particularly enjoyed the Heris Serrano trilogy.  Serrano is a career Navy spaceship captain who was dishonorably discharged after refusing an admiral's stupid orders.  She saved her crew and ship, but lost her position.   Serrano's new job is captaining a rich old lady's yacht, complete with obnoxious relatives, careless (and crooked) crew, and a gaudy uniform that would embarrass a hotel doorman.  ;)  I might add that Ms. Moon has a military background (Marines, I think).

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »
Try Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series. It's been a few years since I read them but IIRC, they have many of the elements you're looking for.

As a one-off, you may enjoy The Golden Key by Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson and Kate Elliot. It's a fantasy, but a near-Earth setting with lots of dynastic conflict mixed with some compelling individual characters.

I liked Rawn's first two books in the Exiles series; sadly, the third book has been "forthcoming" since about 1999.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...

Kaymyth

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:11 PM »
Another vote for The Dresden Files.  It's definitely good stuff.

Also, you might try The Ring of Fire series, starting with 1632 by Eric Flint.  The premise takes a year 2000 small American town and drops it into Germany in the middle of the 30 Years' War.  Really dense books, written by multiple authors, and coordinated by Eric Flint.  The idea is to try and make the story as much like real history as possible, with all sorts of people going off and doing different things.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:32 AM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned Elizabeth Lynn's Chronicles of Tornor: Watchtower, The Dancers of Arun, and The Northern Girl. (If you don't like explicit Scrabble, these might not be for you.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.