Author Topic: Polite way of suggesting that hostess' baby shower theme is awful?  (Read 6605 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: Polite way of suggesting that hostess' baby shower theme is awful?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »
Decorating decisions should be worked out by the hosts, ideally with some input from the GOH.  Ugly decorations will not ruin the shower.  O.P. can help to ensure the success of the event by welcoming guests, keeping the group energy up, gushing over gifts, and helping out in ways like offering to record the gifts.  Concentrate on making the shower so much fun that the decorations are irrelevant.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

ClaireC79

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
Could you get away from the pink by posing it as a gender issue - you don't know the baby is going to be a girl so why not stick to a gender neutral colour (and even if they do know it's a girl scans can be wrong), and how would her son feel if he looks at the shower photos and thinks his mum wanted a girl?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
...    and how would her son feel if he looks at the shower photos and thinks his mum wanted a girl?

Oooo ... good point!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »
OP is also friends with the hostess, so I think she can maybe mention it if they are talking about the planning of the party.  But it was already stated by the owner of the house that there are some restrictions (I have never been to a baby shower with silly string!) and mom is forking money over to help, so there are 3 people who need to sit down and come to an agreement. 

And, I'm sorry, but I will stand by my point of, if you are throwing a party for someone, be it a shower, birthday, anniversary ect, the GOH's tastes and likes and dislikes need to be taken into consideration.  I have been to some appalling showers that were so tacky (every game at one bridal shower was filled with sexual innuendo and there were kids in attendance!) and the GOH seemed so disappointed because it was not anything like them..it was all what the host wanted.  Yes, the host's are spending the money, but if they are offering to throw this party to celebrate the GOH, it should be something the GOH should not have to endure. 

EllenS

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:57 PM »
Naturally, the GOH's preferences *should* be taken into account, and the owner of the house, and the mother who is paying, all have some say in the way the party is thrown.

But OP is not, herself, any of these people.  So is it her place to say anything? Is there any way for her to inject her opinion without it being rude?  I still think, NO to both questions.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »
Naturally, the GOH's preferences *should* be taken into account, and the owner of the house, and the mother who is paying, all have some say in the way the party is thrown.

But OP is not, herself, any of these people.  So is it her place to say anything? Is there any way for her to inject her opinion without it being rude?  I still think, NO to both questions.

POD to this. Now if the OP's question is, "My mom/the GOH wants to say something to Friend, but they don't know how to phrase it, do you have any advice I can pass on?" then I think we could work with that. But if the GOH has already decided not to say anything, the owner of the house has already decided on some mild restrictions, and Mom has already decided not to exercise any veto power, then I don't think the OP should step in.
~Lynn2000

rain

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 07:24:15 AM »
OP - update?
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"