Author Topic: When someone doesn't believe you.  (Read 5850 times)

BarensMom

Re: When someone doesn't believe you.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
This is a person I would avoid.

I try; she's my Mother.

I'd disown my mother if she couldn't tell Lee Marvin and Jack Palance apart.

Mind you, I wouldn't have to. She'd disown herself as soon as she realized it.

Anyone who could argue that Lee Marvin could have been in "City Slickers," has to be seriously mistaken, since he died in 1987.  "City Slickers" was released in 1991.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »

I try; she's my Mother.

I'd disown my mother if she couldn't tell Lee Marvin and Jack Palance apart.

Mind you, I wouldn't have to. She'd disown herself as soon as she realized it.

Anyone who could argue that Lee Marvin could have been in "City Slickers," has to be seriously mistaken, since he died in 1987.  "City Slickers" was released in 1991.

In all fairness, it didn't stop Bela Lugosi from starring in "Plan Nine from Outer Space" (released in 1959) even though he died in 1956.   ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

earthgirl

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
You mean like this?

Them: Who was the old guy in City Slickers. 
Me: Jack Palance.
Them: No, it was that other guy, the one in Cat Balou.

Grrrr.

I snipped a bunch of this because they're all similar examples -- it's especially frustrating, I think, if they disagree with your answer to a question they posed.  Why did they ask the question if they didn't want to hear your answer?

I remember having a similarly infuriating conversation with my SIL once:

SIL:  Is that part of the street called Main Street or Ridge Road?
Me:  It's Main Street.
SIL:  No it's not.
Me:  I pass it all the time, the street sign says "Main Street"
SIL: I don't think you know the place I'm talking about. 

I wanted to say, "Seriously? Why did you ask me if you think I don't know what I'm talking about?"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
I had a cw ask me once if I knew a specific area of the city  as she lives a few towns over and was not familiar with all the ones we have.  I rattle off the zip code and she argued with me about being wrong. and then tells me the whole address.  I tell her it's definitely the zip I gave her and if she didn't believe me to look it up on the post office website.

The address in question was my next door neighbor, but she refused to believe that I would know the zipcode even after I pointed out that it was for my neighbor.  Idiot.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MrTango

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
I have a few ex-coworkers who would ask me a question and then argue with me when I give them an answer.

I got to the point with a few people where I started responding to their questions with "Are you going to argue with me when I answer that?" Of course, they'd say "No" and then argue with me when I gave them the anser.

Finally, I got to the point of saying "Look it up yourself."

nuit93

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
When you tell someone a fact and they say, "No, that's not true.  I have never had to do that.  That is not the way it works.'

Do you just drop it and let it go or do you prove yourself right?

Depends on the issue.  If they're going to use it to judge me (such as a relative I have that doesn't believe that depression needs anything more than exercise and a better diet to cure it), then yeah, I'm going to press the issue.

If it's irrelevant to me?  Eh, I'd probably let it go.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
This happened to me yesterday.

I said "I am happy that my daylilies bloomed this year...usually the deer get them."
My brother, who works in landscaping said "They are toxic to deer."
I say well something eats them every year, and I am pretty sure it is deer.
He disagrees.
I go to the internet and see that I am correct...but does it really matter to me to argue with him?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
I remember watching a movie that starred Nathan Lane with my parents.  At one point my dad said "Isn't that the guy who did the voice for Timon?"

Me: Yeah, it looks like him.
Dad: *testily* No, you mean it SOUNDS like him, you've never seen him before.
Me: Actually I have seen a picture of him before, with his name in a caption below it. I know what he looks like so yes, I did mean it looks like him.

I got no answer to that one. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
A 14 year-old holds forth at length on the 'grossness' of Roman Vomitoria.  She's just repeating the old story that guides in Pompeii dreamed up in the late 18th century to get better tips from tourists.

She's wrong but she's absolutely certain that she's telling us something new and shocking.  This is thought to be especially indicative of her superior knowledge because she's doing it at breakfast. 

I know that I should keep my mouth shut about this but, I'm sorry.  I know what Vomitoria were and I just can't let this one go by.     

MOM21SON

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »
OP here.  Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

It was a summons that my DH got for jury duty.

It said, "Please visit our website and fill out the jury questionnaire and payment affidavit prior to your service date."

The conversation started because we were talking about jury selection for a big trial in my state.

They said, that there was no way that was EVER on a jury summons.  I said it is and so forth.  So I finally proved myself and that turned to "Well, that doesn't mean you have to."

I KNOW you don't HAVE to!  But it does say it.

EllenS

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
Unless it affects my or my family's health or safety, I just don't bother.  I used to worry about people knowing I was right.  Now I just don't care.
Universally useful answer:
"REALLY? well, whaddaya know."
Smart people realize what I am doing.  Stupid people (for example, those who argue that forms don't say what they do), think i have agreed with them. But I rarely have to use it on smart people anyway.

Coralreef

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »

Depends on the issue.  If they're going to use it to judge me (such as a relative I have that doesn't believe that depression needs anything more than exercise and a better diet to cure it), then yeah, I'm going to press the issue.

If it's irrelevant to me?  Eh, I'd probably let it go.

SIL, is that you? 

My stock answer is "Whatever..." 

The best one that ever happened:
Me : Oh, that's my dance teacher doing this number!
Ex : No, it's not.
Me : Yes, it's her, I would know who my teacher is.
Ex : It's not her.
Me : Whatever...

Phone conversation with Mom.
Mom : What brand is your TV?
Me : Brand X.
Mom : No, it's brand Y.
Me : I'm standing in front of it, it's brand X.
Mom : It's brand Y! 
Me : Whatever...

Unless it impacts me directly, I let them think / do whatever they want.  When they come back complaining about the epic fails, I just smirk. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:29:33 PM by Coralreef »

[/right