Author Topic: TMI in the workplace, hopefully I handled it okay.  (Read 1993 times)

LadyJ3000

• Cinemania
TMI in the workplace, hopefully I handled it okay.
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »
   My co-worker S. has recently suffered through a number of medical problems. Unfortunately she also has a habit of explaining these problems in revolting detail to both co-workers and customers. The boss has talked about this to her a couple of times but it hasn't stopped her.

Yesterday, she begins telling me something gross and highly inappropriate for work. I cut her off firmly and told her that I did not want to hear about that. She ignored me and kept talking to which I again stated that I did not want to hear about it. At this point I went into the break room to calm down for a couple of minutes. When I came back she did apologize and didn't say another word.

Did I handle this appropriately? Should I bother letting boss know that she is at it again? And any suggestions on what to do if this situation comes up again?
My Media Blog
http://ladyj3000.blogspot.com
Updated Weekly

auntmeegs

Re: TMI in the workplace, hopefully I handled it okay.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
I think you handled it beautifuly.  Since she appologized I would not go to your boss about it. 

cwm

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »
You handled it great. You got her to stop, and on some level recognize that her behavior was inappropriate. I wouldn't go to the boss unless she starts up again.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:30:11 PM »
You handled it perfectly. For the time being, I wouldn't go to the boss about it. However, keep a mental note of this incident should she fall back into the habit again.

White Lotus

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
Lather, rinse, repeat.  That was perfect.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
Also "Co-irker, clearly you need someone to talk to about your medical issues, but I am not that person.  Have you tried an online board that covers your issue or a support group?"