General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Confusing response from big boss - update #21

(1/5) > >>

DollyPond:
Dear All,

I'm asking for some help understanding an e-mail response from big boss.

Today I sent an e-mail to our group (big boss copied) with the news that a problem we have been experiencing has also been seen at a colleague's site.  In other words, the problem is not unique to us (i.e. we are not making some kind of annoying mistake) but seems to be a more generalized failure of one vendor's equipment.

Big Boss responded to all saying that he does not like this kind of thinking and that we should be looking into the future so as to achieve the highest standards.

I am confused by this response as are a few others in the group.  I'm not sure how identifying the root cause of a problem is not forward looking.

I don't plan to respond.  I am hoping that his wife, who is a member of the group, points out to him that he may have missed the point of the e-mail.

Thoughts?

NyaChan:
 ??? Yeah I can see how that would be confusing - I'm fairly befuddled myself.

Harriet Jones:
My guess is that he zeroed in on some phrasing in your email without paying attention to the entire content. 

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: DollyPond on June 22, 2013, 09:56:26 PM ---Dear All,

I'm asking for some help understanding an e-mail response from big boss.

Today I sent an e-mail to our group (big boss copied) with the news that a problem we have been experiencing has also been seen at a colleague's site.  In other words, the problem is not unique to us (i.e. we are not making some kind of annoying mistake) but seems to be a more generalized failure of one vendor's equipment.

Big Boss responded to all saying that he does not like this kind of thinking and that we should be looking into the future so as to achieve the highest standards.

I am confused by this response as are a few others in the group.  I'm not sure how identifying the root cause of a problem is not forward looking.

I don't plan to respond.  I am hoping that his wife, who is a member of the group, points out to him that he may have missed the point of the e-mail.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Maybe this is a time to go into detail with the big boss as to why you sent the email and what it means for the company.  He may just see this as a general complaint regarding the vendor and not how it affects company as a whole.

I wouldn't copy the whole group just reply directly to Big Boss

Pen^2:
Yeah, I'm thinking he skimmed it, and thought you were trying to blame the other vendor for a problem, and didn't bother reading it properly before replying.

Not sure what to reply though! Some people don't like being corrected, and it can be dangerous if such a person is a big boss.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version