Author Topic: Confusing response from big boss - update #21  (Read 6460 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Confusing response from big boss - another incident #13
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
I would have said, 'I'll be out of the office from 12 to 1 on Friday but could meet before or after.'  I don't think saying you are having lunch with friends is so overly personal as to invoke him speaking to your supervisor to speak to you but it is more information than he needed.

It's not like you went on and on, 'I'm having lunch with my friends Carrie and Penny.  Carrie is the one going through the messy divorce because her husband cheated on her with his secretary and Penny is the one going through chemotherapy for breast cancer after having a double mastectomy.  Her reconstructive surgery is scheduled for the end of next month!'   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
  My only suggestion is to become stiffer in your emails to that boss. 

I wouldnt call it too much personal info but I;d never tell me boss "I can't met with you then because im meeting friends"  I would leave it as I'm not available after noon on Friday.  I know its a little crazy but "because of friends/I have a date/ I'm spending time with family" as a reason not to do a work thing sounds more like you're asking for time off of work to go met friends then why you are not available to come on on your off time. It's not correct or logical but its happens.

or

He really might think mentioned anything about even vaguely is wrong.

or
He might feel the email had too much of a causal conversation feel. 

If you had sent that email to a client I would have told you it was a bad idea to mention why you were unavailable.

bonyk

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
I agree that having a supervisor speak to you is a bit over the top, but I guess the lunch with friends bit could be seen as unprofessional.

I think you need to make sure your email communication with big boss is extremely succinct.  Make sure the email subject tells the main idea of the email, and keep the narrative to a minimum to give him less to nitpick.  I noticed the subject of the email in the OP was "Good to know we're not alone in this".  Going forward, something a little more direct might be better, "Problem notice at 2nd location."

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
I agree that having a supervisor speak to you is a bit over the top, but I guess the lunch with friends bit could be seen as unprofessional.

I think you need to make sure your email communication with big boss is extremely succinct.  Make sure the email subject tells the main idea of the email, and keep the narrative to a minimum to give him less to nitpick.  I noticed the subject of the email in the OP was "Good to know we're not alone in this".  Going forward, something a little more direct might be better, "Problem notice at 2nd location."

RE equipment failure type 101* whatever they called what was going on* troubleshooting progress/eliminated causes/probable cause

Arila

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »
I agree with the others that the emails seem to be a bit casual, and I would never in my wildest dreams tell my direct boss that I wasn't available due to plans with friends, let alone anyone higher than him. Come to think of it, if I had lunch plans with friends, and even an equal level colleague asked for my time, I would very lightly make sure that this was the only time they are available, and then cancel lunch if necessary. When I go out to lunch on work days with friends, it's ALWAYS understood that work comes first.

I am really disappointed that I had to continue literature type English courses, when what I really could have used was technical writing and PROFESSIONAL communication classes in college. This is a huge deficiency for me, and unfortunately, I'm learning more as I go along (and leaving bad impressions in my wake).

Also, along with the professional communication subject, you might ask your supervisor if big boss should be copied on lower, group-level emails, and when it's appropriate to do so.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Confusing response from big boss - another incident
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »

Today I sent the following e-mail to big boss following up on his request that we meet tomorrow or Friday:

Would you have a time to meet tomorrow to discuss the [TCP Reports]?  My time is most flexible tomorrow.  On Friday I am having lunch with friends but can schedule a time before or after that.

Dear Boss,

As you requested, we need to schedule a time before close on Friday to discuss the TPS reports.  I expect it should take about 45 minutes (30, 60), based on the information you had me prepare.

Which times work best for you? 

Th. 10am
Th. 1pm
Th. 2:45pm

Anytime Friday between 8am and 10:30am, with advance notice so I can arrange my meetings/filings/other reports

Fri. 2:15pm

Meeting in my office/conference room B/have your secretary set up the place.

OP

If two people say, "we need to meet sometime," then one has to set up times to have the meeting, otherwise, you get floundering. 
And it sounds a bit like you were floundering off with friends. 

Boss is trying to assert dominance, esp/ with reporting a minor TMI incident. 

That is why I had my letter for you tend towards submissiveness. 

Hope it all works out!

Tone in typed words is VERY hard to read! 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

DollyPond

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
UPDATE

So Big Boss and I met today at 2PM and there was no mention of the TMI of my e-mail. 

I am now thinking that maybe the "speaking to" came from the supervisor only (even though she did deflect it to him) as my e-mail was probably forwarded to her in order to schedule the meeting.  She may have taken it upon herself to find that the e-mail was too personal as she is much stiffer in her dealings with all Bosses.

I was confused because my usual dealings with Big Boss and others are very comfortable.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
UPDATE

So Big Boss and I met today at 2PM and there was no mention of the TMI of my e-mail. 

I am now thinking that maybe the "speaking to" came from the supervisor only (even though she did deflect it to him) as my e-mail was probably forwarded to her in order to schedule the meeting.  She may have taken it upon herself to find that the e-mail was too personal as she is much stiffer in her dealings with all Bosses.

I was confused because my usual dealings with Big Boss and others are very comfortable.

The boss may or may not have.  A minor correction like" tell employee her emails are a little too informal and include too much unneeded personal info."  I would have let it go after that and not mentioned it , it would be harping over minor correction.