Author Topic: UP/DATE Violet is saved. if you have a my pal and need to cleaned it p19.  (Read 3089 times)

laud_shy_girl

We got up on Friday morning to a cot full of the natural repercussions of a baby with a tummy bug.

Violet was an innocent bystander and being Baby girls favorite snuggle means she was at ground zero so is a bit of a mess. She is a plush toy with electrics and as such I can't just machine wash her. I have sponged her down as much as I can but she stinks. She is in a bag with Baking powder right now.

Any suggestions for helping save her? If I can not get her smelling better by the morning I will have to buy a new one.

Baby Girl loves her and keeps looking for her.

http://www.leapfrog.com/en_gb/families/scout_/my_pals/my_pal_violet.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:56:00 AM by laud_shy_girl »
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Help me save Violet.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »
Upholstery cleaner? Febreeze?
NE England

minky

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
We got up on Friday morning to a cot full of the natural repercussions of a baby with a tummy bug.

Violet was an innocent bystander and being Baby girls favorite snuggle means she was at ground zero so is a bit of a mess. She is a plush toy with electrics and as such I can't just machine wash her. I have sponged her down as much as I can but she stinks. She is in a bag with Baking powder right now.

Any suggestions for helping save her? If I can not get her smelling better by the morning I will have to buy a new one.

Baby Girl loves her and keeps looking for her.

http://www.leapfrog.com/en_gb/families/scout_/my_pals/my_pal_violet.html

I think I would just buy a new one.  You'll never really get rid of the stuff that soaked in.  I know if it was me, I would always think it smelled a little, no matter how much I cleaned it.

On the other hand, you could try pet enzyme cleaner (known in my house as pee-pee spray) -- it's pretty good at eliminating biological smells.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
My granddaughter has Violet too, and she just loves her. I was thinking of trying some dryall to clean her. It's for dryclean only products and works in the dryer. I was going to do it on the lowest possible setting so not to hurt anything.

I thought it was really great of a company to make a product that the kids will love, and not make it somewhat washable.

You could always contact the company and see what they suggest.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
Get a spare Violet just in case the original ever gets lost. I did that with my son's favourite cuddly at the time.
NE England

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
As a last attempt, locate the battery compartment, remove the battery, wash on a short gentle cycle with ammonia and gentle detergent, air/sun dry.

I saved some of our things from the flood that way. Sometimes the battery compartment was sewn in so I had to perform surgery.

It worked for everything we had in the flood that we wanted to save, but I still won't promise success.

(Both dehumidifiers, all of the small cooking appliances,  and all of our cleaning equipment still work, as well as most of our small Christmas stuffies.)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
Buy a new one.  Seriously - I think we've gone through at least half a dozen singing seahorses in the last five years, and Babybartfast only knows about two of them  8)

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
To be honest I can't really afford to replace her right now and she is Baby girls favorite. Things are a bit tight at the moment and the "my pals" are not cheep. Baby girl got her for her 1st birthday off her aunt because I couldn't get hold of one AT. ALL. for getting on 4 months. I wanted to get her one for Xmas.

Her paws have come out OK using the Baking soda and Shake and vac. Her heads still a we bit stale. Her head has no electrical parts so I might hang her by her feet and thoroughly wash her head in water detergent. I figure as long as I keep all the electrics above the water and I don't turn her on until she is completely dry (I took the battery's out as soon as it happened.) she should be OK.

I think they makes toys like this deliberately so you have to keep replacing them. need to put this in the "up the wall" thread.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

ClaireC79

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »
Check the electric part - my daughter's favourite toy had a voice pack sewn into a pouch, so I cut it out and chucked it in the washing machine

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Dunno if it makes a difference, but eBay has some new and almost-new available as "buy it now" in the $12-$13 range, half the price of new.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
I would contact the company and asks what do they suggest. But really, I would chuck it in the machine and pray. I mean, your kid can't use it now anyway, and there is a 50% chance that violet will come thru OK.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
I would buy a new one.  Not only does it smell but probably has residue that could be unhealthy.  And if you manage to get rid of the smell you probably will still have the residue.  As for things to mask the odor or dry cleaning stuff, I would avoid that like mad, as it could be unsafe for the little child to have contact with it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowdragon

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
Try placing it out in the sunshine for several days. I worked at a camp for disabled children awhile back and we used that technique for everything that got to smelling. ( You'd be surprised at what we came across at that camp)  you also might try carpet cleaner.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »
As a last attempt, locate the battery compartment, remove the battery, wash on a short gentle cycle with ammonia and gentle detergent, air/sun dry.

I saved some of our things from the flood that way. Sometimes the battery compartment was sewn in so I had to perform surgery.

It worked for everything we had in the flood that we wanted to save, but I still won't promise success.

(Both dehumidifiers, all of the small cooking appliances,  and all of our cleaning equipment still work, as well as most of our small Christmas stuffies.)

This would wreck her. Violet has a computer chip in her in which we can update all kinds of different things in her as she gets older. It's really a cool toy.

Her paws have come out OK using the Baking soda and Shake and vac. Her heads still a we bit stale. Her head has no electrical parts so I might hang her by her feet and thoroughly wash her head in water detergent. I figure as long as I keep all the electrics above the water and I don't turn her on until she is completely dry (I took the battery's out as soon as it happened.) she should be OK.

This might work, it sounds like a good idea, too. Leave her upside down while she dries.

I think they makes toys like this deliberately so you have to keep replacing them. need to put this in the "up the wall" thread.

Isn't that the truth!

Arrynne

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:14 AM »
Can the battery pack / "brain" come out ?  My son is currently sleeping with his Scout, so I can't check.  I know with the sea horses mentioned up-thread the electronic innards come out.

If not, try pulling out the battery pack as much as you can and putting a plastic bag on it. The wash the head as best you can and hang upside down to dry.