Author Topic: UP/DATE Violet is saved. if you have a my pal and need to cleaned it p19.  (Read 3413 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: Help me save Violet.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
All the wires and stuff are integrated. She has interactive buttons on her hands and feet and her belly plus her collar lights up.

We went with the hang by the heals and wash her head method. I am just waiting for her to dry completely. I love my dehumidifier it's making this job much easier.

I did contact leap frog.

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the control unit is hard wired into the product and is non-removable. The washing recommendations are stated on the label, we would only recommend cleaning the product with a damp sponge.

If you have any other questions please let us know."

Helpful  ???

Try placing it out in the sunshine for several days. I worked at a camp for disabled children awhile back and we used that technique for everything that got to smelling. ( You'd be surprised at what we came across at that camp)  you also might try carpet cleaner.

This did cross my mind and I would have done it but unfortunately we have not had much sun. she better be good to go by the morning. I can not handle another night of a crying little girl looking for Violet. Mini mouse and her lullabies just do not cut it.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

ktelderkin

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »
If you're still trying to clean her, you might try a mild solution of white vinegar and water.  We have had good luck removing smells with it.  My other go to is oxi clean.  Make a solution with water, scrub and then rinse well.  I hope she got cleaned. Violets loved in our house too.

Bright

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
Poor Violet. I googled and found:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/october-2009-babies/archives/ideas-on-cleaning-my-pal-violet-scout.html

Unfortunately the link there doesn't work but hopefully the comments will be at least slightly helpful.

I also found http://armywife-style.com/2012/07/how-to-clean-my-pal-violetmy-pal-scout/

I hope you manage to save Violet.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:14:36 AM by Bright »

snowflake

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
Nature's Miracle.  It really is a miracle.

Do not skimp on it.  Saturate the toy so it goes deep (but not as deep as the chip) and then let it drip dry in the shower.  (I've done this before.  The toy was not as complex as Violet though.)

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 04:53:04 AM »
She has been saved!

I was just not happy with how she smelled. DH thinks I am a bit of a freak and that I have a nose like a blood hound. I can smell anything even days later.
she was just not clean enough.

So planning on a kill or cure (was going to look at removing the wires from the main "box" and re soldering them back on if we had to) we opened her up.
Her wiring we shocking easy to remove. It all comes out in one unit. The paw pads are held in place with a small pocked of cotton with a single stitch. once the stuffing was taken out it was childes play.

All her inner fluff and plushiness went in to a light pillowcase and got washed at 60C with the oxi stuff I use on her nappies. Then she was tumble dried on high with lavender oil.

Putting her back together took about 15mins. Baby Girl is cuddling her as we speak and she smells nicer now than when he got her new.

thank you for the suggestions. I am off to find forums to post this on so other mummys and daddys can save there child's bedtime toy.

The funny thing is, I really wanted to just pull her apart to begin with but didn't as I was sure I would destroy her. As it was, it meant I just wasted a weekend 
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Iris

Hurrah!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
I am going to file this information away for the future--my daughter also has a Violet, and I bet this will come in handy someday.  ;)

Glad it worked out!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
She has been saved!

I was just not happy with how she smelled. DH thinks I am a bit of a freak and that I have a nose like a blood hound. I can smell anything even days later.
she was just not clean enough.

So planning on a kill or cure (was going to look at removing the wires from the main "box" and re soldering them back on if we had to) we opened her up.
Her wiring we shocking easy to remove. It all comes out in one unit. The paw pads are held in place with a small pocked of cotton with a single stitch. once the stuffing was taken out it was childes play.

All her inner fluff and plushiness went in to a light pillowcase and got washed at 60C with the oxi stuff I use on her nappies. Then she was tumble dried on high with lavender oil.

Putting her back together took about 15mins. Baby Girl is cuddling her as we speak and she smells nicer now than when he got her new.

thank you for the suggestions. I am off to find forums to post this on so other mummys and daddys can save there child's bedtime toy.

The funny thing is, I really wanted to just pull her apart to begin with but didn't as I was sure I would destroy her. As it was, it meant I just wasted a weekend

Congratulations! I was going to suggest disassembling/unstuffing the toy, but with the pads in the hands, it sure sounded like that would be too complicated.

I know a family that had to pull apart and unstuff a critter with a music box inside to wash it (but no wires to the paws, etc.). The kid wanted it back before it they had it restuffed, so they ended up giving her the plush "skin" of the toy without the stuffing or music box, just to tide her over until they fixed it all. Well, turned out that the kid was perfectly happy with "Flat [Critter]" (as she was redubbed), and "Flat Critter" was loved for many more years without ever being restuffed. Sort of a combination blankie and (un)stuffed toy. The kid's mom apparently found it quite convenient that she could fold Flat Critter to put in her purse when they were out and about.  ;D So if you ever have to unstuff Violet again like this and if you don't think your DD would be upset by seeing her unstuffed, it might be worth seeing if she'd be happy with "Flat Violet" until she's out of the nausea stage. That might save you from having to do the unstuffing more than once during an illness.

kelly_jeanie

That's great information, glad you were able to save Violet!  My DS has a Violet (hand-me-down from big sis) so this is great to know for future reference. :)

snowdragon

Fantastic! So glad to hear this.

What oxi stuff do you use?

laud_shy_girl

What ever is on offer normally. This time it was Tesco's oxi-clean. I think they are all much the same.