General Etiquette > Life...in general

Male Friend and Women's Changing Rooms

(1/13) > >>

LittleLou:
Mods, please let me know if any of the below is inappropriate for this forum or if you'd prefer I word something differently.

I have a transgender friend who is currently biologically male but wants to transition to female. He has only very recently come out, has fairly substantial anxiety issues and is generally very shy.

I would like to take him shopping for female clothes next time I see him - he's tried shopping online but it's a bit hit and miss with the sizing etc. at the best of times. My question is does anyone have any experience with what to do about the changing room issue?

My current feeling is that I should find a shop assistant and explain that my friend wants to try on some clothing from the Women's department and where would be the best place to do so. Does that seem appropriate to everyone here? Etiquette-wise I think it's far far better for me to approach it head-on and ask an assistant, but does anyone have a thought on wording or is there anything I've missed?

There's at least one department store in town that has multiple changing rooms for both men and women, of varying sizes, and not all are open all the time. I was think that might be the best place to start, as the assistant might be able to guide us to a smaller / more private room or open one up for us.

Sharnita:
This has been a heated topic before but your approach and the dept. store you mention sounds like the best idea.

mechtilde:
Are the changing rooms communal or are there individual cubicles?

I don't see a problem with cubicles, but a changing room would be a different issue.

Redsoil:
I think your idea is good, to be upfront and check with an assistant.  After explaining the situation, simply say something like "I want to make it as comfortable as possible for all concerned, so if you can guide us to an appropriate changing room, that would be appreciated."

Hopefully, you girls can have a great shopping trip and find some clothes that fit well and flatter your friend's figure.

Carotte:

--- Quote from: mechtilde on June 23, 2013, 07:31:46 AM ---Are the changing rooms communal or are there individual cubicles?

I don't see a problem with cubicles, but a changing room would be a different issue.

--- End quote ---

Wait, that exist in stores?  :o

There's no reason why with individual cubicle there would be a problem.
A store where they are unisex (most likely between departments) would be a bonus, no reason for another patron to be rude about it.
And doesn't most changing rooms that say lady/men changing room are only set up that way because they are in the middle of the lady/men department, so that the attendants don't get stuck with clothes from the other dep ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version