Author Topic: Delusional power freak at work  (Read 16146 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Delusional power freak at work
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
Bad on boss for not telling all the rest of you!

Now that you know, you can tell him what your plans are (I'm not feeling well and want to wrap this up and go home, but I need a break. Instead of lunch, I just want to take my afternoon break, and then I'll finish), and he can't accuse you of "doing whatever you want."

And it explains why he asked you to talk to him in Boss's office.

But he's still really annoying.

bloo

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Sounds like a horrible place to work.  Blame goes squarely on the boss here.

This...

Time to polish up that CV!

...and this!

You have a somewhat delusional Power Freak because your boss created a situation for this to flourish. Your boss seems like the nice guy and the employees get irritated at Power Freak. Win/win for the boss and the power freak. Lousy circumstances to work in for the employees.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:37 AM »
In my experience, people who behave like this tend to work as Assistant Manager.  (Not all assistant managers are like this, but I've had more than a few who are). Kind of power hungry, but they don't actually have the power that they want, so they nitpick on  lower-ranking employees just to find a way to show everyone how important they are (because they aren't).

This guy isn't even Assistant Manager; it's an awkward situation though, because he is the boss' friend, and boss has created that awkward situation by not spelling out his exact role when boss is away.

He then came over again and questioned me as to "why was I so angry and throwing things?" I looked up and said what on earth are you talking about, I am not throwing anything. He then started bugging me as to why was I angry. "I said it was all over, why are you angry?"

Classic gaslighting tactic.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
I don't think this guy is Boss's Friend; I got the impression from the OP that he's a third person.
Because the OP knows that Boss's Friend sometimes acts on Boss's behalf, but then said that this person had no authority.

OP, are you still around, and can you clarify?

Craftymom

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »
PF IS Boss' friend. Bottom line,  he does not have any real authority, he just keeps an eye out, as do at least 2-3 other people.

finecabernet

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
I once had a coworker just liked this, and she wreaked havoc over the department (and our manager allowed it because he was a weakling and mistakenly thought she was his ally). Since your boss sounds like a weakling as well, you need to think of leaving before coworker is allowed to get worse (because that's what is going to happen).

Jocelyn

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »

Boss agreed that PF should not have been crawling all over me like he did. He wanted to bring him in for us all to clear the air-not a chance in ehell. PF IS intimidating, and I was not up to him basically bowling over me with the boss right there.
Boss offered to speak to PF again, but I told him that I did not want him to, I just wanted him to be aware of the situation.
I think you made a mistake there.
This is what we call in my line of work 'collapsing the triangle'. Triangles are very stable- they hold up roofs, they keep going in human relationships. By meeting together, you have a chance to hear what the boss says to PF, and PF cannot later pretend that he was told one thing and you were told another. PF can remain in his belief that he is treating you exactly the way the boss wants him to treat you, because he knows you don't know WHAT the boss tells him.

And if you don't want the boss to talk to PF, and you don't want to talk to PF, what do you want to happen?

dragon_heart

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »
This happened to me at my previous work. The only difference is, the PF in my case was formally promoted
to supervisor. Now he had all the right to micromanage and to turn our workplace into his "kingdom".

There was nothing we could do but look for other jobs( almost half of the office quit, we are less than 10 people ).
Last I heard from a coworker who hadn't found a new job yet, PF got worse and he will take the first offer that comes along,
even if it meant a pay cut.

tinkytinky

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
I think I would get boss' definition of "keeping an eye on things". Is it to make sure there isn't an injury/building emergency type of thing, or is it more of the "here is my whip and if somebody stops working you have my permission to use it" type?  I think that everyone is interpereting it differently.

I think you should just go ahead and do your work, leave if need be, whatever. If PF starts to question you, the answer should be (in alightly distracted nature) "I have discussed (situation/illness) before with boss, but if you have concerns about it, I'll get with you and boss tomorrow. oh, by the way, do you have those documents for the beandip project?"

This is helpful twofold. 1: it brings to his attention (hopefully) that his own job is being neglected while he is micromanaging, which is something you can bring up to the two of them the next day; and 2: you don't have to be summoned to another room for him to bawl you out because you aren't trying to hide anything and are willing to go to boss WITH PF to clear up any misconceptions. Chances are, he isn't going to want to go in front of boss with you because of his own actions and the chance he will be found to be at fault. In essence you are calling his bluff, but in a polite non agressive way.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter