Author Topic: extra Publicity Posters from a Band - how to handle.  (Read 3427 times)

snowdragon

extra Publicity Posters from a Band - how to handle.
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
 I used to be part of a "street team" for a band I like. We were encouraged to keep a couple of copies for ourselves, at that time. When de-cluttering lately I found 3 copies of the posters for each of three tours. Now, I have no wish or desire ever to hand them in my house again ( different decor now) and want to give these things away, along with a band t-shirt from a tour ( never worn). On the band site there are hundreds of folks who post semi-regularly. I want do this fairly, but also want folks in different timezones to have a chance ( We have posters who are in the UK, Japan and Australia and they would be at a significant disadvantage to those in my time zone, if it was 'first come; first served)
 Anyone have ideas on the etiquette this?

Curious Cat

Re: extra Publicity Posters from a Band - how to handle.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »
Wrote a post explaining what you have to offer and that anyone interested should post their sn by X time. After X time has passed put all the sn's in a hat and pick one at random.

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:42:03 PM »
I've usually just posted and the first person to respond wins.  You may ask to be contacted privately.  Post when the items are spoken for.

If there becomes a problem with exchanging necessary information (off list of course), I contact the second person who responded to see if they are still interested.  That's about all you can do as far as fair.  You could pick and choose who you feel would be the best fit, but sometimes that can make things more complicated.  First come, first served has worked best for me. 

List specifically what each item is one is as far as time zones go for people and any other necessary details.  List the size of shirt, women's/mens, runs small/runs large, etc.  Maybe add pictures (or links to website) or have pictures prepared to email to people. 

Still no takers?  Post one last time and then decide if you want to store the items or toss them.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
Can you post something like the contest starts 3 days from now at X time?

That way people in other time zones have seen the post, and have a chance to be at their computers at X time if they want the prize.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Is there a reason why you have to set the terms at "first come, first served"? I know when I offer things for free on Craigslist I don't necessarily give them to the first to contact me, I give them to the person who sends the politest, complete-sentence, response that I like. Set the terms in a way you are comfortable - maybe ask for a 100 word essay on why they deserve the items, or ask for the most creative reason, or whatever. That way you have license to pick who ever  you like best of the responders.

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
You didn't mention this, but do you really want to be on the hook for global shipping of these items? I guess if it were me, I'd want to give them to someone nearby so I wouldn't have deal with all the cost and hassle.

You definitely don't have to do first-come-first-served if you don't want to.

gmama

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
You could ask people to leave a post after yours, set a deadline (contest closes at xxx) so different timezones get a chance to post, and then use this random number picker  http://andrew.hedges.name/experiments/random/  to select which post # wins.

snowdragon

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:32 PM »
You didn't mention this, but do you really want to be on the hook for global shipping of these items? I guess if it were me, I'd want to give them to someone nearby so I wouldn't have deal with all the cost and hassle.

You definitely don't have to do first-come-first-served if you don't want to.

Yeah, I would do pay if someone in one of those places wants them.  It won't cost too much to send three posters.  :)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
You must know a lot of the other fans.  Why not message the ones you know and ask if anyone wants the items.  If you get no takers, then post it on their forum (if they have one) and let people know that its first come first serve.

I got a CD recently from a band that I follow.  The guy giving them away posted a list of the CD's he was giving away, told people to message him with the CD they wanted and their addy.  And only one CD per person.

I got the one I wanted and they all got given away without much effort.

If you try to be "fair," you open up a can of worms.  It's always going to be unfair to the person who didn't get it and people have a way of making you feel as if you were unfair even if you really weren't.

The goal is getting rid of the items and having them go to people who want them.  Don't try for more than that.  You'll save yourself a lot of headache.

For example, you get two people whose requests come in about the same time.  You know one of them is maybe a little more worthy to get it than the other.  So, give it to the one you think is more worthy.  No one else has to know it wasn't "fair."

Marguette

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 11:48:25 PM »
What Curious Cat said above. That is what people do when they know that they will have many more responses than items to give away (e.g. authors giving away advance review copies, or extra copies of their own books). They announce ahead of time, before the “contest” opens, that the items will be given away by random numbers.

Another way to do it, which at least one author does, is he asks one of his family members to pick a number between 1 and [a big number, bigger than the number of people who will respond], and write it down but keep it secret until the contest is over. He tells his readers what the range is. Everyone who wants the item picks a number and posts a comment or sends a message with their chosen number. The first one to get it, or the one who came the closest once the contest is over, gets the item.

ebelie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 03:30:53 AM »
You could give 24 hours for people to respond, thereby covering all timezones, and then draw names out of a hat. 

If it were me, I'd also state upfront that if the winner is outside the US (assuming you're in the US) then they'll be responsible for postage.  Then, if you want to be generous afterwards you can pay it yourself.  Or split it, or whatever.  I'm saying this as someone living in Australia who knows how expensive postage can get. 

And thank you for being inclusive of non-peak-time internet users.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:27 AM »
Are you looking for 10 people or if someone wanted a poster from each tour, could they have them?  I'd say you have x hours to show interest, I have y hours to determine winners.

Margo

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 06:38:32 AM »
If you're giving things away, you can do it on whatever basis you like.

I would just say "post your details before x date and I'll pick after that. You can also ask people to specify a preference for which poster / shirt they'd like and it's perfectly fair to ask for shipping / contribution to shipping costs, particularly if you're sending overseas.

If you've space, it's helpful to post what your criteria for choosing is - whether it is 'numbers out of a hat' or 'reason for wanting it I find most interesting' or 'best offer' or '1st come first served' but I don't think you're obliged to do even that. It's fine to say "let me know if your interested by [time] and then if there are more requests than items I'll pick winners."

Possum

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
I hate the "first person to post" method, because it's so abrupt.  Sure, only one person can "win" either way, but at least with a random draw, people can *feel* like they got to have a chance. 

CreteGirl

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
How about a band trivia contest, with the winners getting the posters and T-shirt?