Author Topic: Is this too harsh? A family of girls...  (Read 17738 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Is this too harsh? A family of girls...
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
Oh, trust me, we're trying hard to interest our girls in engineering.  :) 

Off topic, but have you seen GoldieBlox?  http://www.goldieblox.com/  I saw the kickstarter campaign when it was funding and it looks like a really cool concept. 

Incidentally, my parents got two girls both of whom defied gender stereotypes by going into engineering. And my dad coached my softball team when I was growing up. So gender doesn't have to have anything to do with passing on passions.

Yes, I've seen those!  They look neat, but limited in scope at the moment.  I'm waiting to see where they end up going with it.  :)  I'm really loving LEGO Education stuff.  My oldest has the LEGO Simple & Motorized Mechanisms set, and she just did her first build that used a motor, which she really loved.  I'm planning to get her the LEGO WeDo Robotics set soon.  These sets are *so* neat.  There are a lot of cool things you can do.  She started with the LEGO Duplo Easy Simple Machines set when she was 4-5, I think.  I'm trying to get the 4-year-old interested in those, but she'd rather play with the "big girl" LEGOs like her sister, even though she can't really follow the directions yet.  She just likes putting gears together and making things that spin.

Well, would you believe that since I posted this, the number of people asking/commenting on the lack of a boy has gone *way* down?  Funny how that works, isn't it?  I've had several more "wow, looks like you have your hands full," which is more in reference to total number of children and not their sex.  I have had a few ask if the baby is a boy (in the Ergo it's hard to tell) and say, "All girls?  Wow!" and remind me how hard the teenage years are going to be, etc.  But nothing *too* bad, and the "houseful of PMS" comment was out of the girls' hearing, so not as much of a problem.

Toots, my 4-year-old would love a giraffe!  :)  Alas, we only have 7 foot ceilings.  So it would have to go live in the backyard.

Pandora

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:59 PM »
 I watched the first of the Duggar family specials 14 children and pregnant. She was going for her ultrasound, and the midwive said in front of the whole family It needs to be a girl. There are just too many boys in this family.  ???

Child in utero was a boy.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
Ouch!  Yeah, while I think they have plenty of both, they seem to have a bunch of older girls, then a whole bunch of boys in the middle, then a bunch of little girls at the end.  At least, last time I saw a picture.  :)  It's such a great example of this kind of thinking, though.  I might, if they'd started later or stopped earlier, they could easily have had all of one sex or another.  And they do have groups that are all the same sex together.  But the overall picture is fairly balanced (I don't know how close they are to 50/50).  It's a great example of how the whole process works, and how you don't end up boy girl boy girl boy girl boy girl boy girl, etc.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
Ouch!  Yeah, while I think they have plenty of both, they seem to have a bunch of older girls, then a whole bunch of boys in the middle, then a bunch of little girls at the end.  At least, last time I saw a picture.  :)  It's such a great example of this kind of thinking, though.  I might, if they'd started later or stopped earlier, they could easily have had all of one sex or another.  And they do have groups that are all the same sex together.  But the overall picture is fairly balanced (I don't know how close they are to 50/50).  It's a great example of how the whole process works, and how you don't end up boy girl boy girl boy girl boy girl boy girl, etc.
And an even bigger ouch... There was a modern translation of an Italian Renaissance marriage manual online some years ago (I can't find it now!) wherein was detailed the directions for how to ensure the desired gender of one's offspring.  They were correct in that the male partner was responsible for the child's gender, but they thought that male children came from the right ... er... "side," and female children from the left side. So to get a child of the desired gender, among other things, the gentleman was supposed to firmly tie off the side of the gender that was NOT wanted.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
And an even bigger ouch... There was a modern translation of an Italian Renaissance marriage manual online some years ago (I can't find it now!) wherein was detailed the directions for how to ensure the desired gender of one's offspring.  They were correct in that the male partner was responsible for the child's gender, but they thought that male children came from the right ... er... "side," and female children from the left side. So to get a child of the desired gender, among other things, the gentleman was supposed to firmly tie off the side of the gender that was NOT wanted.

Funniest thing I've read all day. Wish I'd known this when my Dad, father of 4 girls, were alive. We'd have had a ton of fun picking on him about having his right and left confused.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
I wonder how many men damaged a side of themselves trying really hard for too long for a gender?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
I wonder how many men damaged a side of themselves trying really hard for too long for a gender?
Too many, probably.  There was a lot of other advice which I no longer remember distinctly, some aimed at the prospective mother, that was much more palatable.   What she should eat, for instance; IIRC sweet foods for a girl, meat for a boy.  What positions, what sort of thoughts.  Even what sort of tapestries or pictures on the walls!

There was also advice on prophylactics to bar conception should it be necessary for the health of the mother.  Early forms of c0ndoms made of sheep's gut, and a diaphragm/spermicide of sorts made of lamb's fleece soaked in vinegar.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

I hadn't heard that one! That's really scary.

The version I have heard is that male babies come from the eggs from one of the mother's ovaries and female babies come from the eggs of the ovary on the other side.  (I don't remember if right and left were specified or if it was just that they were separate.)  So, supposedly, a woman with only one ovary could have babies of only one gender.

With the amount of times that this must have been proven false, I don't know why it stayed an "old wives' tale" for so long, but apparently it lasted a long time and only died out when we learned about this genes and DNA thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if some people still believe it, though.

ClaireC79

« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
I remember seeing a Jeremy Kyle show (trashy UK show bit like Jerry Springer) with some man claiming he couldn't possibly be the father of a women's daughter - because he only had one testicle and already had a son, so knew he could only produce boys (I was willing it to be his just to stop the myth - she was his)

Pandora

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »

I'd have been resisting the urge to grab the scanner and thump the midwive over the head with it.