Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 686358 times)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3525 on: Yesterday at 05:47:51 AM »

Well, as to what I would expect, I would expect a non-direct line, so something went through their phone exchange at that time. A simple DSL enquiry would give details of when the call came in, when it was routed to that room, and the number it called from.

No incoming, it was a desk call. Ergo, who was on desk? Simple.

Then you sit them down, shine a bright light in their eyes, and say, in a suitably cockney accent "Karm on, it was you what done it, warn't it? Own up or we'll do you!" (Oh go on, you all know what I mean . . . .)

If it WAS an incoming call, then the number will be present. And you still have a valid question and to why the call was routed, who by, what they claimed to get it routed to your room, and where it came from. If the Uni has a credit card with its details released into the wild, they need to know. But calling you by name is more suspicious. How did they know it was you if it was under the university bill?

Second, someone must have accessed the hotel database for the details. That's what access logs are for. For a business to be able to track who does what, when, and where they looked. Even something from the computer stone-age (pre-90) has some sort of log that will show that. It's a simple text file, but they can usually be accessed via a managers log-in in whatever back office they're using.

So no, I don't buy it. Something this serious, a major breach of a private and secured system, and this is their response? No. Years in retail and dealing with a computer and I can (figuratively speaking, this is) track a flea crawling across the office carpet.

4am (the ghosting hour, when people are at their least alert), your personal name (apparently unusual, so not a common misdirection claim), and a few "creative" mistakes regarding your folio? It screams in-house.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

kategillian

« Reply #3526 on: Yesterday at 08:14:34 PM »
I used to be a hotel manager, & I had the devil of a time training the staff to not say people's room numbers out loud when they were checking them in. No one could understand why that was such a bad idea.

jane7166

« Reply #3527 on: Yesterday at 10:43:14 PM »
I used to be a hotel manager, & I had the devil of a time training the staff to not say people's room numbers out loud when they were checking them in. No one could understand why that was such a bad idea.

I suppose the name "Connie Francis" means nothing to them.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3528 on: Yesterday at 10:47:11 PM »

Doesn't really mean anything to me.  I know she was a singer, but I'd have to google for anything more than that.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3529 on: Yesterday at 10:58:45 PM »

Doesn't really mean anything to me.  I know she was a singer, but I'd have to google for anything more than that.
I also. I saw Where the Boys Are when it came out . Scared me. I still like the song!.

doodlemor

« Reply #3530 on: Today at 12:21:04 AM »
Connie Francis was attacked in a hotel while touring in 1974, and subsequently was awarded a substantial settlement in a lawsuit. Connie's large judgment led to national reforms in hotel security.
In particular, the locks on her room were realized to have been inadequate.

Here is a link.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Francis

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3531 on: Today at 12:50:45 AM »
They know it was her because although her billing (aside from,  probably incidentals) goes to the university the actual room is in her name. That's the way it has worked in the hotels I've worked in for, oh, 16 years now. I know I know- to think I think this means I have any experience or knowledge in the matter!

And honestly when someone calls from an outside line and says "X's room,  please" as soon as I verify there's an X staying here I transfer it. I don't grill them on who they are and why are they calling. It's none of my business.  Even at 4 AM.

All it takes is one person leaving papers in the wrong place and boom- someone's got all sorts of access. And really- hacking a computer to pull a scam like this? They'd be going straight for the credit card numbers- which has happened.

I'll also point out this issue could easily be from the university's end. Someone in accounting somewhere knows Dr F is staying at the hotel, on which dates and how the account is set up.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #3532 on: Today at 08:15:56 AM »
About a year ago DH and I got the same call in a nice hotel.  We had checked in about 30 minutes before.  The caller didn't know my name - just said the server had to be reboot and lost all our information.  He needed the information for insurance purposes as well - if there was a fire they needed to know who was in what rooms.  Yeah, I'm an IT manager and if a server reboot loses all the information on the server then they have really big problems.  He said he could take the information over the phone or I could go to the lobby but at the moment there were over 15 people in line so the wait would be long.  I told him I'd go to the lobby, which I did.  The front desk clerk (no line in the lobby) had no idea what I was talking about.  The caller was extremely smooth and professional.  I have no idea if the call came from inside the hotel or not.

Dr. F.

« Reply #3533 on: Today at 09:10:06 AM »
I've been trying to remember if the scammer knew my name before I gave it to him. I don't *think* so. I think it was just a random call. That leads to another question - if these guys have to call 100 or something to get 1 bite, how do they do that? Even the sleepiest front desk clerk would catch on after a while.

The only reason for thinking that it was someone inside the hotel is that my folio was actually checked out when the scammer said it would be. It could be a complete coincidence, but that's pretty weird.

What finally twigged it for me was the caller not quite knowing what to do when I said the room was a direct charge to the University, and started arguing with me about it. Any big hotel near a University knows how to deal with that. Yeah, they needed my CC# for incidentals, but not at 4AM!

It was a completely weird experience, and I really don't quite know what all was going on.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3534 on: Today at 09:33:17 AM »
I want to give posters a heads-up about a begging scam that probably isn't new, but it is increasing: professional beggars who use their kids to elicit sympathy. This is becoming a problem in cities - NYC, for one. They identify themselves as Romanian, and they sit in high-volume areas like near the subways. They are not poor; in fact, most of them are quite well off.
When confronted with this, many of them just run away and set up camp in another area.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #3535 on: Today at 09:38:56 AM »
I want to give posters a heads-up about a begging scam that probably isn't new, but it is increasing: professional beggars who use their kids to elicit sympathy. This is becoming a problem in cities - NYC, for one. They identify themselves as Romanian, and they sit in high-volume areas like near the subways. They are not poor; in fact, most of them are quite well off.
When confronted with this, many of them just run away and set up camp in another area.

I saw this one:  http://abc7.com/news/possible-sighting-of-pregnant-beggar-who-drove-off-in-mercedes/392911/
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3536 on: Today at 09:47:24 AM »
Wow. I used to give money to people, no questions asked. It's sad that you can't do that anymore (although, TBH, it's probably always been that way).  :-\

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3537 on: Today at 09:49:15 AM »
What finally twigged it for me was the caller not quite knowing what to do when I said the room was a direct charge to the University, and started arguing with me about it. Any big hotel near a University knows how to deal with that. Yeah, they needed my CC# for incidentals, but not at 4AM!

If anyone called me at 4 am, unless the first words out of their mouth were 'The hotel is on fire.  Please evacuate immediately.', they'd be getting some very un-Ehell approved language and a slam down of the phone.  And if it actually was the hotel calling me at 4 am, I'd be demanding a refund the next morning.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3538 on: Today at 12:22:38 PM »

Last year I saw a family of 3 out begging in the winter and it was a cold one even when we didn't have snow.  There was a little one too in the mama's arms. What I really wanted to do was tell the mother to at least get inside so the little one wouldn't get sick, but figured she was probably out there to elicit guilt.  It was right by the grocery store too, and several fast food places.  So no shortage of places to sit and keep a baby warm till it was time to go home.

I'd love to go around and give people hats, mittens, socks or blankets. I figure the ones who really need them will be grateful and the ones just out for money will show their true colors when offered something other than money.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3539 on: Today at 03:40:59 PM »
As I picked up my coffee today, I once again noticed a man that appeared to be homeless near the dumpster enclosure and going inside it every few minutes. He then took out his sign and sat in front of the dumpster, where the workers couldn't see him, but all the patrons in the drive through could. I told the manager. Again. The manager mentioned that they are experiencing issues with the dumpster enclosure being used for toilet purposes.