Author Topic: Please educate me about skunks. OP #24, UPDATE #38  (Read 2350 times)

andi

Re: Please educate me about skunks.
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
My FIL has removed several skunks from his yard - we call him "the skunk whisperer". His trick is to plaice a "have a heart trap" in either a large black trash bag (open end of the bag at the front do the trap) or in a second box that can be closed.   Once the skunk is in the trap, the bag or box is closed and carefully placed into the open bed of his truck. He drives out a distance and carefully places the trap down and opens it and leaves. He does not wait around to collect the trap. The bag is not closed tight enough or long enough to suffocate or hurt the animal and it's easier to get than the right sized box

An exterminator might work as well- around here we have several that live trap many types of animals, skunks, raccoons, etc. (We live in the suburbs surrounded by some farm and wet lands). You could try gogglimg that type if you don't want todo it yourself. Its not something I would try.

Please say he went back and got the trap later and didn't just leave an open trap around for an animal to get into and trap themselves

Yes, usually the next day. I just meant he doesn't hang around and try to get the skunk out himslelf.  My ILs property backs to a greenbelt, so 2-3 blacks behind them is the spit he takes them, not miles away. 

I'd still call a pro. We have one hanging around neighborhood, I can smell it quite often, but I've never seen it. I'm afraid one of doge will corner it one night.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Please educate me about skunks. OP #24
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
I would bet the Inhumane label for the urine isn't for the use but for how it is gathered.  Since they have been there 3 months already I would be very tempted to just wait until they are gone and then make sure they can't come back.  How are they getting under your porch?

That makes a lot of sense. I'm betting you're right. Now I'm wondering how they actually do gather the stuff.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
I am affectionately known as 'The Skunk Whisperer' to my friends and coworkers.  The secret to dealing with skunks is to move slowly and talk softly to them.  If they are setting up shop under something, run the hose for a while to make them clear out then seal the area up with chicken wire or something else to keep them from getting back into the area.

If you still have them around, get a live trap.  Peanut butter is a great bait.  So is wet cat food.  Once you have the skunk in the live trap, cover it with an old blanket or towel.  When you go to let it go, winkle the blanket or towel just back over the opening.  Then prop the door open and stand back.  Pepe will leave on his own good time.  If your trap isn't big enough for Pepe to lift his tail, he probably won't be able to spray in the trap.  But as soon as he gets out, it is a different story.  Do check the rules for your jurisdiction.  It is illegal in some areas to trap animals without a trappers license and it can be illegal to let them go.

The babies, when small, are not able to spray.  Or if they do, it doesn't have that distinctive smell.  But skunks do carry rabies so you want to make sure you don't get bitten.  Wear heavy leather gloves if you have to handle the little ones.  Don't even try to handle the adults.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
I would bet the Inhumane label for the urine isn't for the use but for how it is gathered.  Since they have been there 3 months already I would be very tempted to just wait until they are gone and then make sure they can't come back.  How are they getting under your porch?

That makes a lot of sense. I'm betting you're right. Now I'm wondering how they actually do gather the stuff.

Well... this is juts a guess on my part but I would imagine they have the predator in a type of cage where the urine can drip down into a "bucket" or something to gather it. Which means a wire floor - which would not be something comfortable to sleep and live on for their entire lives.

Jloreli

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
I moved in with now DH because of a skunk.

It is possible to humanely trap and move skunks without being sprayed as other posters have described. Other ways to "encourage" the little family to move: Moth balls tossed under the porch. (Then you have a different smell to deal with). Litter box contents under the porch. (Again with the smells). Placing a radio under the porch and playing loud music 24/7. I don't know how your neighbors might react to that one. <insert> jokes regarding what music genre skunks will find unpleasant </insert>
Or you can wait until the kits are old enough to be on their own and the whole group *may* move on by themselves, especially if you make sure they don't have food sources. Secure your garbage/compost, etc.
All suggestions given to me by a friend who is a game warden.

POF

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:43 PM »
I am affectionately known as 'The Skunk Whisperer' to my friends and coworkers.  The secret to dealing with skunks is to move slowly and talk softly to them.  If they are setting up shop under something, run the hose for a while to make them clear out then seal the area up with chicken wire or something else to keep them from getting back into the area.

If you still have them around, get a live trap.  Peanut butter is a great bait.  So is wet cat food.  Once you have the skunk in the live trap, cover it with an old blanket or towel.  When you go to let it go, winkle the blanket or towel just back over the opening.  Then prop the door open and stand back.  Pepe will leave on his own good time.  If your trap isn't big enough for Pepe to lift his tail, he probably won't be able to spray in the trap.  But as soon as he gets out, it is a different story.  Do check the rules for your jurisdiction.  It is illegal in some areas to trap animals without a trappers license and it can be illegal to let them go.

The babies, when small, are not able to spray.  Or if they do, it doesn't have that distinctive smell.  But skunks do carry rabies so you want to make sure you don't get bitten.  Wear heavy leather gloves if you have to handle the little ones.  Don't even try to handle the adults.

Also Birthday Cake.  We had a BBQ once for DH's Birthday.  We put the cake ( covered with a plastic shell ) outside on a table under the tree as we were setting up.  DH's calls me quite urgently to look out on the patio.  A skunk was on the table, head buried in the birthday cake , frosting everywhere.  he ate his fill, hopped from the table to a smaller table and down to a chair and scampered off.

otterwoman

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

Also Birthday Cake.  We had a BBQ once for DH's Birthday.  We put the cake ( covered with a plastic shell ) outside on a table under the tree as we were setting up.  DH's calls me quite urgently to look out on the patio.  A skunk was on the table, head buried in the birthday cake , frosting everywhere.  he ate his fill, hopped from the table to a smaller table and down to a chair and scampered off.

Please tell us there are photos of this!

POF

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

Please tell us there are photos of this!

I need to look - it was before the digital camera - so its in a photo box somewhere. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Please educate me about skunks. OP #24, UPDATE #38
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
Well, I haven't seen nor smelled any skunks since I've posted, which isn't all that unusual since they've only been spotted the one time.

I cannot trap them (illegal in my area) and I called another trapping company and they, too, euthanize the animals. So I decided to get they coyote urine and sprinkle it around late in fall when they are thinking about hibernating.

In the mean time I've been sprinkling the used kitty litter on the ground around the perimeter of my deck and along the fence line where I have ground-hugging plants (Hostas, etc.) . . . I haven't noticed an odor.

Funny -- DD#1 came for a visit yesterday and she went to clean the cat box. I asked her to go sprinkle it around the deck. She looked shocked and said "Isn't that kinda gross?" I explained to her about the skunks and it was suppose to be a deterrent. She went outside still shaking her head thinking I was really weird.

I went out a little while later and saw that she did, indeed, sprinkle the litter all around . . . on the deck floor. ???

I should have been a bit more clear on what I meant by AROUND the deck. ::)

;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
  If your trap isn't big enough for Pepe to lift his tail, he probably won't be able to spray in the trap.

I would urge caution on this point.

My parents caught a skunk in a live trap and needed to figure out how to handle it.

The cage was small enough that the skunk could not lift its tail, so Dad thought it would be safe to transport.
He was very much mistaken.

In the course of a short drive to the forest, the skunk sprayed.
Possibly more than once.
With the tail down.
Inside the cage.
While in the trunk of Dad's Toyota Corolla.

It took *weeks* to get the stink out. People wouldn't sit next to Mom at church a month later if she had taken the car. And this after multiple washings, treatments and airings.