News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 10, 2016, 04:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help with contact info for Muehlebach Hotel  (Read 985 times)

MaryR

• Will work for cupcakes.
Please help with contact info for Muehlebach Hotel
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:35:16 PM »
It is a historical landmark in Kansas Mo.

Way back in the 70's I bought a small silver bowl at a thrift store. It had a motel marking on it, but I thought it was like a marked ashtray, mug or candle stick. I didn't stop to think that a solid silver bowl wasn't something that the establishment would want to be stolen.

It was heavy enough that the cats couldn't dump it and small enough to have on the headboard to hold little things.

Today I was dusting and looked at the bowl and noticed the motel name again. Google told me that it came from a historical landmark from the 50's. I feel obligated to try to return the bowl if they want it back, but my googlefoo faile when it came to contact numbers.

If anyone has better success than me, thank you in advance.

PS I did try calling the contact number I found with google. The very confused, but nice  sounding desk clerk told me to keep the bowl because she didn't have a clue as to who I should call.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Please help with contact info for Muehlebach Hotel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:43:06 PM »
Is this the number you tried?

Kansas City Marriott Downtown.  Attached to the KC Convention Center by an enclosed walkway, this contemporary hotel is a 9-minute walk from the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and 1.9 miles from the historic Union Station.

Modern rooms have flat-screen TVs, desks, coffeemakers and paid WiFi. Some have access to a lounge with free continental breakfast and evening appetizers. Suites add separate living areas.

The property offers an American restaurant, a bar and a coffee shop, as well as an indoor pool, a spa, a hot tub and a gym. Other amenities include a business center, paid parking and laundry services.
Address: 200 W 12th St, Kansas City, MO 64105, USA
Phone: +1 816-421-6800

In 1996 Marriott Hotels bought the Muehlebach and made it into an extension of the Kansas City Marriott Downtown, a huge adjacent hotel originally built in 1985 as the Vista International Hotel. They imploded the 1952 Muehlebach Towers annex building and in 1998 built a new, modern tower in its place. The original 1915 Muehlebach building's lobby and ballrooms were restored and are used as banquet and convention facilities by the Marriott, though the hotel rooms above have been gutted and those floors remain unused.[1]

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

MaryR

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:52:10 PM »
Thank you so much for trying to help. I just got the same very nice desk clerk.

This is rather frustrating, I want to do the right thing. I also want to keep my little bowl which probably has very little monetary value, but is handy for me.

Kaymyth

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »
Speaking as a Kansas City resident, I think you're fine.  I mean, seriously, you bought that thing in a thrift store 40 years ago.  I'm sure they've cycled out the decor since then and would have no use for it anyway.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:09:43 PM »
Also, it may not have been stolen.  Hotels routinely refresh their decor and get rid of the old stuff to bring in the new.  Many times companies will bring in wholesalers to get rid of large quantities of items...yes even custom bowls.

Agreed with Kaymyth, you got this 40 years ago, the hotel no longer exists, and what exactly do you want from them?
Maryland

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »
You're quite welcome, I love a chance to stretch my google-fu.

I do agree with the PPs though.  In between the name change, refurbishment and length of time, I suspect you should just keep the bowl. 

I inherited a silver and tortoiseshell bowl from my birth mother and her husband.  It was engraved with information about a Masonic lodge in the UK.  I emailed them several times with descriptions of the bowl, and never heard anything back.  That was some years ago.  I still see that little bowl and wonder, but I figure if they wanted it back they'd have contacted me by now.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

MaryR

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »
Thank you all. I have gotten what I wanted. I tried to return the bowl with no success. People I respect are telling me to just enjoy my bowl.

My conscience is eased. Thank you.

Sara Crewe

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 06:11:09 AM »
It sounds to me that it would clash with the current decor.  My guess it was valuable enough to be sold off not just dumped which is probably how it eventually ended up in a thrift store.  In other words there is no reason to think it was stolen.

Enigmatism

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:48:00 AM »
You're quite welcome, I love a chance to stretch my google-fu.

I do agree with the PPs though.  In between the name change, refurbishment and length of time, I suspect you should just keep the bowl. 

I inherited a silver and tortoiseshell bowl from my birth mother and her husband.  It was engraved with information about a Masonic lodge in the UK.  I emailed them several times with descriptions of the bowl, and never heard anything back.  That was some years ago.  I still see that little bowl and wonder, but I figure if they wanted it back they'd have contacted me by now.

Most items like your bowl would have been given to a member of the lodge as a presentation for an event of some kind.
There are certain items that a member of the Masons, or rather their family, have to return when they die, but I don't think a bowl is one of them!!

Twik

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
It sounds to me that it would clash with the current decor.  My guess it was valuable enough to be sold off not just dumped which is probably how it eventually ended up in a thrift store.  In other words there is no reason to think it was stolen.

I agree. There are lots of legitimate ways, such as liquidating outdated décor, in which the bowl could have left its original service. I don't think the Marriott chain would particularly know what to do with the bowl now.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rose red

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 09:41:14 AM »
I was thinking the same thing as others. Perhaps it was a giveaway, sold in their gift shop, or they got rid of a box of them at the thrift shop. There's no need to think it was stolen.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »
One possibility, if you really want to return it home, would be to see if a history museum in Kansas City might want it. These people might be able to help: http://www.historickansascity.org/

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
It occurred to me if it's "solid silver" or even silver-plated, it's unlikely it was ever part of the hotel furnishings. Much more likely it was a souvenir sold by the hotel.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."