Author Topic: Snakes in a restaurant - not always consensus?  (Read 1713 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Snakes in a restaurant - not always consensus?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
It reminds me of the tradition among certain Society for Creative Anachronism members of 'freaking the mundanes'- that is, wearing your garb into a 21st century establishment, then acting in a manner that is supposed consistent with your 10th century persona, but which bore more resemblance to Conan the Barbarian. Getting a female convenience store clerk to draw back in fear was particularly witty. The attribution always was that she had to be a ridiculously uptight, or unimaginative, person if she wasn't amused by men with swords stabbing the merchandise. Ha, ha, we really showed HER a lesson!
You can imagine I was not popular among the young men who thought this was amusing. Fortunately I had enough rank in the SCA that they pretty much had to listen when I told them it was inconsistent with chivalric ideals to deliberately put a woman in fear for her life for their own entertainment. Now, I'd probably be asking them what was wrong with their heads, that they thought that terrorizing women WAS entertainment.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
I would not be worried about being considered uptight or unimaginative by their standards. I'd be far more concerned that I had a couple of people on drugs or with some sort of dangerous mental illness in the establishment. I wouldn't draw back in fear, but I'd be dialing 911 on my 21st century phone!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
It reminds me of the tradition among certain Society for Creative Anachronism members of 'freaking the mundanes'- that is, wearing your garb into a 21st century establishment, then acting in a manner that is supposed consistent with your 10th century persona, but which bore more resemblance to Conan the Barbarian. Getting a female convenience store clerk to draw back in fear was particularly witty. The attribution always was that she had to be a ridiculously uptight, or unimaginative, person if she wasn't amused by men with swords stabbing the merchandise. Ha, ha, we really showed HER a lesson!
You can imagine I was not popular among the young men who thought this was amusing. Fortunately I had enough rank in the SCA that they pretty much had to listen when I told them it was inconsistent with chivalric ideals to deliberately put a woman in fear for her life for their own entertainment. Now, I'd probably be asking them what was wrong with their heads, that they thought that terrorizing women WAS entertainment.

I'm a cosplayer and I HATE games like "freak the mundanes". Things like that make us look bad, and ruin it for others who come after, no matter how considerate and responsible they may be. This is something I advise cosplayers against doing. Not only is it rude, and damaging to the public's perception of cosplayers/SCA folk, but it can also lead to real world trouble- getting kicked out of places (and cosplayers who come afterward being unwelcome), unpredictable reactions from people who don't like being insulted, mock-menaced, or threatened, or even police involvement.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 03:38:43 PM »
The only way that I can see "freaking the mundanes" working as a game is if the players in costume are being more polite than the 21st century people around them. 

Sadly, neither side seems to "win" at the art of being more polite than those around them...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
The only way that I can see "freaking the mundanes" working as a game is if the players in costume are being more polite than the 21st century people around them. 

Sadly, neither side seems to "win" at the art of being more polite than those around them...

I have attended events by an English Civil War group where the guys went to the supermarket in their Three Musketeers style garb.  On the way out they carried a woman's grocery bags to her car, loaded them, and did a big sweeping bow before going to their own car.  I heard she looked confused rather than frightened.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

I have attended events by an English Civil War group where the guys went to the supermarket in their Three Musketeers style garb.  On the way out they carried a woman's grocery bags to her car, loaded them, and did a big sweeping bow before going to their own car.  I heard she looked confused rather than frightened.

Why do I never run into these guys when I'm grocery shopping?

The last time I ran into anyone that polite, it was an ogre who was polite enough to let me know that a young male (six years old) must be allowed to try to defend his mother - but I really did need to let the young one know that attacking was a sure way to get someone hurt...and he really didn't want to do that on Mothers' Day, in memory of his own mother!

VorSon was persuaded to keep a close eye on the ogre but reminded that there was a truce on for the holiday (holy day is the source of the term - although I'm pretty sure that it was not the holiday originally set up for early in May in King Arthur's court - I didn't get a chance to ask Queen Morgan Le Fay, though....as we were leaving at the end of the revels that day).  Both the ogre and VorSon seemed happier after that...

He slept well that night - and still has the wooden short sword (now more long dagger length)!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
Re: the musketeer
That's the way to play it... you want to leave people feeling charmed, so that they tell their friends about this amazing thing that happened. I've let little kids touch me, stroke my costume, etc- I've talked to people about the history I'm portraying. I was lucky that there was a major Ren Faire in our city, so that people weren't startled by seeing people in costume. But those young men who thought it was hilarious to stab the merchandise- thereby proving to the clerk that the blades were sharp enough to harm her if they wanted to...that was just disgusting.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
They were lucky she didn't call the cops.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »
One word:  Salmonella.  That makes them a potential biohazard.

That's reason enough right there that they are not acceptable in a food establishment.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."