News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 28, 2015, 06:10:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?  (Read 29896 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?
« Reply #255 on: Yesterday at 10:45:54 AM »
[snip]

Friend's son has become enamored of a MLM company, and constantly posts about how he is going to be a millionaire. I truly hope so. Today's post, complete with misspelling:
My dream has always been to have an international business and now I have members ranging from Australia to Japan to Nigera. Dreams do come true.

Is that member in "Nigera" the widow of a recently deposed dictator?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #256 on: Yesterday at 10:47:21 AM »
[snip]

Friend's son has become enamored of a MLM company, and constantly posts about how he is going to be a millionaire. I truly hope so. Today's post, complete with misspelling:
My dream has always been to have an international business and now I have members ranging from Australia to Japan to Nigera. Dreams do come true.

Is that member in "Nigera" the widow of a recently deposed dictator?

Who is "just a little girl"?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #257 on: Yesterday at 11:12:18 AM »
Here's one for ya:

http://www.uexpress.com/sense-and-sensitivity/2015/2/27/friend-asks-reader-to-help-raise

My friend just announced that she's having a baby, and she has asked all of her girlfriends to agree to help her raise this child. This is because she is not in a relationship with the baby's father, and she is currently unemployed. She asked us to sign a legal document that she had an attorney to write up that says that we -- her three close friends -- would commit to contributing a particular amount of money and time to raising this child over the next 18 years. I'm not kidding.

Wow! That would move me from inclined to help a friend to not wanting to whatsoever.

z_squared82

« Reply #258 on: Yesterday at 12:00:45 PM »
Here's one for ya:

http://www.uexpress.com/sense-and-sensitivity/2015/2/27/friend-asks-reader-to-help-raise

My friend just announced that she's having a baby, and she has asked all of her girlfriends to agree to help her raise this child. This is because she is not in a relationship with the baby's father, and she is currently unemployed. She asked us to sign a legal document that she had an attorney to write up that says that we -- her three close friends -- would commit to contributing a particular amount of money and time to raising this child over the next 18 years. I'm not kidding.

Wow! That would move me from inclined to help a friend to not wanting to whatsoever.

Yeah, I read that and I was thinking, "Why are you even writing in? The answer isn't even a regular 'No', it's a 'Don't be ridiculous!'."

Reika

« Reply #259 on: Yesterday at 12:34:51 PM »
Here's one for ya:

Yeah, I read that and I was thinking, "Why are you even writing in? The answer isn't even a regular 'No', it's a 'Don't be ridiculous!'."

Or "Run away as far and as fast as you can!"

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #260 on: Yesterday at 12:46:15 PM »
Here's one for ya:

That's nuts. Since she's seeking financial rights from her friends, is she going to give them legal parental rights in exchange? I can answer my own question that it's a big fat No. I bet her idea of "help raise my child" is free money and babysitting and (possibly) a place to live but "don't you dare discipline my kid because I'm the mother, not you."

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #261 on: Yesterday at 12:46:49 PM »
Here's one for ya:

I've actually heard of this before. I live in a part of the country that has a variety of people and an old acquaintance from high school was telling me that he would only have a kid if he had a community to help take care of/raise the kid. And he was serious! I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and say, "oh yeah it would be nice if people helped a bit but you shouldn't have a kid expecting others to take care of them for you", but he was adamant that his community of friends were really close an that he would be expecting a joint-raising effort.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #262 on: Yesterday at 04:24:48 PM »
Here's one for ya:

...And yet the advice columnist's answer starts with "Your friend deserves credit for creative problem solving." Um, no?
"Set aphasia to stun!"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #263 on: Yesterday at 07:46:59 PM »
Here's one for ya:

...And yet the advice columnist's answer starts with "Your friend deserves credit for creative problem solving." Um, no?

It's so hard to speak clearly when your tongue is shoved that far into your cheek (English idiom for sarcasm)...

Guess the advice columnist needed to use the "emoticon" that I read about in the Readers' Digest - a woman was using it about forty years ago on her typewriter.

It's  -) - the hyphen is the tongue and the curved line (use either right or left parenthesis mark) is the cheek.  I have no idea what her name was - but I think that she submitted the tale to the Readers' Digest with her name on it....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #264 on: Yesterday at 10:06:12 PM »
Here's one for ya:

"Sure Friend, I'll raise your baby. Just come to the courthouse with me and we'll get the adoption written up. Oh, and I can't handle an open adoption, so after we get the paperwork done, you'll of course have the class to not bring it up around the child, won't you?"
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

darling

« Reply #265 on: Yesterday at 10:10:05 PM »
Well, another GoFundMe plea just went out from an acquaintance on Facebook (she linked to it, but I have no idea who these people are). In a major coincidence based on the recent discussions in this thread, it's for a family who is expecting a child any day now. The sob story this time is that they were unable to save more than $xxx, meaning that the Dad would only get to stay home for two weeks on paternity leave. The plea is to raise another $xxxx (almost twice the first amount) in order to "allow him more time to bond with the baby and help after the birth".

Yes, I'm sure the father would love to spend more time at home with the baby, but the reality of the situation is that if you don't have paid leave, or don't have any left, then you do what you have to do to support your family, even if it is emotionally hard to do so. I just feel that maybe this family has unrealistic expectations.