News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 02:17:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very good tip to clean a pizza stone  (Read 742 times)

POF

Very good tip to clean a pizza stone
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
I make a lot of pizza and use my pizza stone.  Because I store it on the bottom rack of my oven - its become quite stained and nasty. 

I read on-line to clean by putting it in your oven and using the self cleaning setting.  I tried it and fully expected to buy a new stone.     IT CAME OUT PERFECT.  IT LOOKS LIKE NEW

I could not believe it and had to share !

diesel_darlin

Re: Very good tip to clean a pizza stone
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:45:49 AM »
I'm going to have to try that!

Susiqzer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 12:07:01 PM »
I make a lot of pizza and use my pizza stone.  Because I store it on the bottom rack of my oven - its become quite stained and nasty. 

I read on-line to clean by putting it in your oven and using the self cleaning setting.  I tried it and fully expected to buy a new stone.     IT CAME OUT PERFECT.  IT LOOKS LIKE NEW

I'm not saying that I haven't done this, buuuuut... 

- Make sure that there's no soap or rinse aid in the dishwasher before you run it, because stones are porous and you don't want soapy pizza the next time you use it
- Use a quick wash setting if you have one, so it's in the dishwasher for as little time as possible.
- Stones are usually safe until about 450*, so there's the possibility of breakage if your dishwasher is hotter than that.
- It will probably void the warranty, so maybe don't mention it if it breaks and you try to call customer service for a replacement... ;)

I usually just use a baking soda paste to remove any lasting oil/grease every once in a while, and that helps immensely.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

- Make sure that there's no soap or rinse aid in the dishwasher before you run it, because stones are porous and you don't want soapy pizza the next time you use it
- Use a quick wash setting if you have one, so it's in the dishwasher for as little time as possible.
- Stones are usually safe until about 450*, so there's the possibility of breakage if your dishwasher is hotter than that.
- It will probably void the warranty, so maybe don't mention it if it breaks and you try to call customer service for a replacement... ;)

I usually just use a baking soda paste to remove any lasting oil/grease every once in a while, and that helps immensely.

The OP is talking about putting it in the oven, not the dishwasher.

Susiqzer

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »

The OP is talking about putting it in the oven, not the dishwasher.

And I go to the eye doctor next week.  ;) Sorry about that!

Ignore everything except the part about the temperature... I know that my oven gets super-hot on the self-cleaning cycle, so it could be more than the stone can handle.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
DH & I went the Alton Brown route for our pizza stone - buy a marble flooring tile from the hardware store. Under $5 (US), works like a charm, and if it breaks, no biggie. We really don't worry about stains on it, either - just anything that might have spilled on it. Which is just as well, as our lousy oven doesn't have  self-cleaning option. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:21:32 PM »

Ignore everything except the part about the temperature... I know that my oven gets super-hot on the self-cleaning cycle, so it could be more than the stone can handle.

That would definitely be something to be concerned about!  Some of the Pampered Chef baking stones are only heat resistant up to  450F.  I'm sure the self-cleaning cycles are hotter than that.

POF

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
True  about the temp - mine is from Williams Sonoma and can stand up to 550. 

Dishwasher is a no no.  ( Ask me how I know )

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
I have several Pampered Chef stoneware items, including a pizza stone. I remember being told by the consultants that the darker and smoother they are by being used, the better they are. I keep my pizza stone on the bottom rack of my oven all the time - it's supposed to help retain and regulate the heat. It's also a very dark brown at this point.

However, sounds like the OP has found a easy-peasy solution to keeping the stone looking brand new (and, probably more important - clean). So that's good, too!

doodlemor

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
I tried leaving my pizza stone in the oven all of the time, and it disintegrated.

Now when I  make pizza I put the dough in the pans and bake it halfway.  Then I add the toppings, and slip the pizzas directly onto the oven racks for the second half of the baking.  Works great.

POF

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
I have several of the bart pans from Pampered Chef - and these are a wonderful dark brown and very seasoned.  my pizza stone ( Williams Sonoma ) just looked really ugly - plus it had some burnt on area and was blotchy. 

I kept hoping it would season, but I could not stand it anymore.