Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1323654 times)

AustenGirl10

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6255 on: Yesterday at 03:36:50 PM »
And accessory!

z_squared82

« Reply #6256 on: Yesterday at 03:36:59 PM »
There is an open case in my area that is disgustingly/scarily similar. It's getting settled and the settlement agreement will not be confidential. There is already a plan to get that document to the media. I'll have to post that link when it comes out. Fingers crossed for Darwin to come through!

nuit93

« Reply #6257 on: Yesterday at 04:13:30 PM »
Gonna stick this link up here with a big old trigger warning: This story pretty much deserves all the cuss words you can't say here on eHell.

(Summary: a middle school boy in my city has had repeated disciplinary incidents in the past for harassing and inappropriately touching other students, but some were brushed off as "we don't have good enough proof" and some were swept under the rug.  A 14-year-old girl was repeatedly harassed and propositioned by this boy and took it to administrators, but was ignored until she was eventually told "you should go along with it and then we can have a teacher there to catch him in the act."  She followed their advice, no teacher came, and she was raped.  The boy got five days of suspension, went to a different school for a bit, and then came back.  The girl moved to another state.  The justice department now says the administrators did a bunch of stuff wrong in how they handled the boy's behavior and the girl's complaints, and I fully expect at least a few people to lose their jobs over this.)

I hope that the people responsible are not only fired, but prosecuted.

Unfortunately, if the way other schools have handled similar cases is any indication, I'm not holding my breath.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6258 on: Yesterday at 04:54:44 PM »
I am too furious to reply intelligently.

Sputtering like Donald Duck when he gets upset does not add anything to the situation.

But I really, truly hope that the idiots involved realize that what they did was wrong and that they must never allow such a colossally epic blunder to occur again.  Not on their watch and not on the watch of anyone they have a hand in training of "the next generation".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

otterwoman

« Reply #6259 on: Yesterday at 05:08:08 PM »
She was a special needs student?!! What type of idiot sets up any girl as bait, but to coerce an underage special needs girl?! I am livid!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6260 on: Yesterday at 05:31:41 PM »
And accessory!

Oh, I'd love for them to get more than just negligence; I was just saying "at the least" while wanting so much more.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Chipmunky

« Reply #6261 on: Yesterday at 07:58:07 PM »
The idea that a child was raped as a direct result of the administration's incompetence....makes me say non ehell approved words and throw things in the privacy of my own home.

Not PD, but had the potential if not for the precise circumstances (and will provide a much needed laugh).

Earlier this summer, I broke a finger in my right hand. Specifically, the middle finger. At first the clinic thought it was sprained, and gave me a splint due to the amount of typing I do (and my polite insistence). Luckily, I'm a lefty so this didn't impede my handwriting.

My boss is BBL of my previous post about Princess. BBL does not suffer fools, but she does have a wicked sense of humor. She came by my office 2 days after I got the original splint (and one day after the clinic called to tell me my finger in fact had a break near the knuckle).

She asked if I had any new case updates for her. I got a huge grin on my face, held up my right middle finger in the splint, and proudly announced "I broke it!!"

A few moments stare, and she burst out laughing before giving me a high five.  Not very often you can give the boss the bird and get away with it, but this was the one opportunity I had! To make up for any unintended insult, I bought her one of her favorite candy bars. (no worries, she got the joke).  She had me "demonstrate" my injury to 3 of the senior attorneys in the office, including one whom I'll post PD/ Special Snowflake stories on in the future.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6262 on: Yesterday at 09:02:47 PM »
I seriously cut the same finger in college - three or four stitches.  The cut was deep enough that I had no sensation on the last digit of that finger for over seven years (it still has a small numb spot - but most of the feeling has returned).  But it reacts a bit like my funny bone if I hit just the wrong/right spot...

I was shooting the bird at the doctor, the professors, and such - it was the finger on my left hand and I'm right handed, so I could still take notes...the bandaid covering the stitches got a lot of odd looks...

Never use a paring knife to separate frozen meat patties so that only one is gotten out to cook for a quick lunch...

I didn't get lunch that day, either, as I stuck the food in the freezer, wrapped the finger in paper towels, and drove back on campus to the infirmary for the stitches....
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:05:02 PM by VorFemme »

Jocelyn

« Reply #6263 on: Yesterday at 10:22:07 PM »
I did the same thing!
Watch out when cutting raw potatoes for soup...if they roll, you can get a nasty cut.
It is not good to be in the ER,  and have the doctor unwrap your hand, and turn pale.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6264 on: Yesterday at 10:38:16 PM »
I had an elderly WWII vet who told me a story about the time he *almost* met General Patton while stitching me up (it was Monday and uniform day for the ROTC cadets - so I was in uniform).  I don't remember the story - but I do remember being distracted quite pleasantly while he stitched my finger up (I have scars on my chin and one toe where I had accidents as a much younger VorFemme and got stitches - being old enough to follow his story from history might have helped - at four and five(?), I wasn't as easily distracted if you were coming at me with a needle....).

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6265 on: Today at 12:02:06 AM »
Broke the middle finger of my left hand playing basketball in junior high.  I got to flip off so many teachers and never got in trouble...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.