Author Topic: New Baby Ideas... beyond the gifts  (Read 1648 times)

lowspark

Re: New Baby Ideas... beyond the gifts
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
My first thoughts were babysitting or cooking a meal (as has been suggested above). I also like the offer to run errands.

But yeah, I agree that just giving a small gift is also perfectly fine. No rule says you have to spend big bucks. "It's the thought that counts."

tinkytinky

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
It can be difficult when you are aware that they don't "need" anything. I like the idea of a simple gift that has meaning. I love the idea of the framed birth statistics. a memento box with a newspaper from the day the child was born (you can call the newspapers and get them usually). you can add in a list of common items prices: a gallon of gas, bread, milk, etc. and some current events that happened. (my brother was born just hours after Kennedy was shot, so it's interesting to see different takes on that).

I have given in the past a cute outfit with a handmade blanket (crochet). I make it out of chenille yarn and small enough to cover over car seats, or for baby to carry around when they are mobile.

But recently have been including an index card file with dated index cards (no year). I also give small decorative clipboard and pen. The idea is that the parents can put the new card on the clipboard and hang it like a calendar. at the end of the day, the parents can write what happened that day (just a few words), if there are any firsts, etc. then they put the card at the back of the stack and put the next card on the clipboard. It's a perpetual calendar, and when they start the next year, they can see how much the baby has grown and also assists in dates for the baby book. They can add pictures in every so often as well. The moms I have given these to have loved them. They said it's easier to remember on a daily basis what happened, and no matter how tired they are they will always write out a sentence or two.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

bonyk

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
TinkyTinky has some cute ideas.  Also, I know you said you can't afford to buy anything, but there are some baby essentials that are under $5 that parents don't usually think to purchase but come in very handy.  Baby nail files, infant qtips, head-to-toe wipes (love these - great for messy spit ups).

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
I have had friends that had limited means at the time but one made a small quilt...one got me some baby stuff from a consignment store...You could do something with baby photos...Customize a baby onesie/bib...it really is the thought that counts.

gmatoy

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 01:21:25 PM »
My "baby" is over 30 and I still remember a very good friend coming over and pruning my roses for me. She didn't come to the door or anything, just pruned the roses and gathered the clippings up and put the in our yard waste bin. Best gift ever! (And believe me, I told her so over the years!)

I think this is probably a case of knowing your audience. I'd be annoyed if someone rocked up and pruned my roses without asking. This is because:

- there are right ways and wrong ways to prune roses. And there are right / wrong times of the year to do so. I'd want to make sure that whoever was pruning my roses knew what they were doing; and

- I enjoy pruning my roses! If I was a new mum, I'd welcome the chance to step outside, and do something different for awhile that wasn't baby-related. So someone pruning my roses would take that away from me.

Yes, I realize that might be concerns for some people. Believe me when I say that she knew exactly what needed to be done and that I would love to have it done for me. She knew her audience!

z_squared82

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
With all of my cousins (and the few of my friends who have had babies), I'll wait  a couple of weeks and then try to find coupons for the disposable things from their registries, i.e., what brand of diaper (or soap or detergent or ointment) did they register for, and find those coupons. And if I know breast feeding didn't take, I'll ask what type of formula they're using, too. It takes me a little time, but it helps them save money.

(Coupons. com and the Sunday paper are the best resources.)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
One of my favorite gifts was a friend bringing lunch for me and spending a couple if hours during the day while I was home and a little bored. Newborns sleep a lot and though I took DD with me lots of places I did have a some days when my only adult interaction was when DD arrived home from work.

Another friend came to babysit for a couple of hours so I could get a haircut and manicure during the day.

lakey

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
Babies soil their clothes so often that giving a cute little sleeper, maybe for a baby a bit older would be appreciated. Another idea would be to bring over a treat to share, like home-made brownies, muffins,  or cookies.

yokozbornak

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
One of the most thoughtful gifts I received was a large box of baby wipes refills.  They cost is fairly minimal (around $10), and it was nice to know that I wouldn't run out of baby wipes any time soon.  It seemed like a used a pack a day sometimes!  I now make that one of my shower staples because many people buy diapers, but few people buy wipes.  Another plus is that the box is huge so it feels like a substantial gift, but it's fairly inexpensive.