News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 24, 2017, 01:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changeable weather?!  (Read 448 times)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
Changeable weather?!
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
I walked home about 30 minutes ago in light rain, dried off, put the shopping away and just looked out of the window. There's over an inch of snow already settled, more coming down heavily - good luck seeing the other side of the street - and a bus stuck at the end of the road with emergency flashers on! When did all this start?

Have you had any instances where the weather has changed on you without warning?

(I'm just off to deal with the 9 month old kitten who thinks the world has just ended and is racing from window to window trying to see if the white menace is on each of them.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:45:12 AM by atirial »

rose red

Re: Changeable weather?!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
I live in the Midwest of US. I've gone from needing the heater, to AC, and back within a few hours.

I've experienced bright sunny day, then a 5 minute thunderstorm complete with black clouds, and back to normal sunny (like the weather decided to throw a toddler temper tantrum and all is well after 5 minutes) ::)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
I think "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" was the motto of my old town. Aside from extreme heat for months at a time, nothing much lasted. Lots of rainbows!

I currently commute 50-ish miles each way a few days a week. The elevation changes a lot on my commute, which is mostly just east-west, and the weather is often drastically different here vs. home. It's wetter and five degrees colder at work, on average. Makes for some dangerous driving -- if you don't know you're headed for bad weather, you often don't drive defensively enough, I suppose.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
More than once it's been raining in the front yard and not in the back yard.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

malfoyfan13

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
I've seen it raining in one area and sunny in another, both here in So. Calif. and in Hawaii.

We in California are suddenly having a LOT of rain, in spite of the weather predictors saying it is supposed to be a dry winter.  Uh, not right now!  LOL  Not that I'm complaining since we've been in a drought so long.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
I remember waiting 25 minutes at Liverpool Street for the torrential rain to abate, before giving up and (literally) wading to the tube; I was thoroughly soaked head to foot.  I dripped all the way to "sunny" Brixton, got out of the tube to blazing sunshine, and steamed all the way home.  A ten minute walk left me fully dry.

I got a lot of funny looks on Brixton High Street! ;D

My mum's house is up a hill, and they often have snow when half a mile away in all directions it's raining/dry.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

GardenGal

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »
I lived for 9 years in Durham, North Carolina, and the weather was very changeable on very many days. Now that I'm in the San Diego area the weather is generally more predictable, with more gradual changes.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

sandisadie

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
When I lived in Miami, Fla the weather was more changeable then about anyplace else I've ever lived.  You could literally be at a stop light in full sunshine and look ahead to the next block and see a raging thunderstorm with lightening and pouring rain.  You would drive through that for a block with your wipers going furiously and then you'd be back in the calm with bright sunshine.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »
I'm in Central Florida, and the weather is highly changeable, all year around!

We were at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon one day in August. It was hot as blazes, but suddenly a front moved in, and it dropped from the low 90's to the 70's, with cool rain. Everyone was freezing due to the sudden change, and we had about 3 dozen people under a small shelter huddling together.

My office building frequently has rain on one side and not the other.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien