News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 29, 2015, 03:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "D'oh!" Moments (or the V-8 headslap ;))  (Read 3591 times)

darling

Re: "D'oh!" Moments (or the V-8 headslap ;))
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »
When you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, remember to turn it on before you leave for work.  That pork roast will not be done when you get home otherwise.   :(

Along the same lines, when you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, and you have turned it on, remember to check if the stupid thing is plugged in. 
Your beef barley soup will NOT be done either.   :-\

Yup, I have done both.  And I may or may not have done them both within a month of each incident.  (I think it was possibly 6 week span.)

(I now touch the side of the slow cooker to make sure it is hot just as I am leaving the house.)

Yep, did the unplugged thing when my son was having a friend over to play after an outdoor scout activity (in winter). I thought we'd have a nice, hot lunch without much effort on my part. Got back from our winter outdoor activities, only to find a ruined batch of stew because I had forgotten to plug in the stupid crockpot. Luckily, we have lots of delivery pizza places in town, but that was disappointing.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
No matter how many times you push the paper towel dispenser, it will not give you soap.
It is the policy of the United States Navy to neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons aboard its vessels.

Specky

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »
You can't open the car with your cell phone (maybe you can these days, but my tech was not up to that).

You can't open your front door with the car clicker.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »
I tried to open my front door with the key fob to my car

I picked up my TV remote, to turn down the volume on my computer

I threw the egg in the trash and put the shell in the frying pan

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
You can't open the car with your cell phone (maybe you can these days, but my tech was not up to that).

You can't open your front door with the car clicker.

Nor will your bus pass activate the security gates at the office. 

oogyda

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
When you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, remember to turn it on before you leave for work.  That pork roast will not be done when you get home otherwise.   :(

Along the same lines, when you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, and you have turned it on, remember to check if the stupid thing is plugged in. 
Your beef barley soup will NOT be done either.   :-\

Yup, I have done both.  And I may or may not have done them both within a month of each incident.  (I think it was possibly 6 week span.)

(I now touch the side of the slow cooker to make sure it is hot just as I am leaving the house.)

The same goes for the oven. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Margo

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
it was a one-off, but probably only because the opportunity has only ever arisen once.
If you are driving very slowly in 1st gear, to get to the garage so they can fix whatever it was that broke as you were driving home, meaning that you could not change gear, do not absent-mindedly turn, on autopilot, into your front gateway, particularly if the driveway is too small to allow you turn around without having to use reverse gear.  (the garage was about 3/4 mile past our house. Our gateway was quite awkward, and trying to work out how to get the truck into the driveway, in such a way that it could get the car out, when there wasn't space to turn around was... interesting. And may have involved having to stand in the road stopping traffic for a while.

My grandfather - if you have painstakingly trimmed and sliced a vast quantity of runner beans, make sure, before taking the trimmings out and throwing them on the compost heap, that you have in fact picked up the bowl of tops and strings, not the bowl of sliced beans... If you don't, you will spend the net half hour picking sliced runner beans out of the grass clippings, and your family will not be wholly sympathetic.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #37 on: Today at 01:27:06 PM »
If  you're going to take the time to put the coffee maker together before you go to bed and set the timer, be sure that you've actually put coffee in it.

And months later, after patting yourself on the back for remembering to put coffee in it this time, don't forget the water!