News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 12:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread  (Read 271 times)

Cali.in.UK

Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« on: Yesterday at 02:52:55 PM »
Hey everyone. I've been job hunting for four months now and it's bumming me out. It's not a fun process but most people have to go through it at some point. Since I've been looking, the topic of job hunting comes into conversation a lot and my friends have shared cringe-worthy interviews or just funny things that happened to them in their own unemployment experience and those stories made me laugh so I thought we could do that as well.
My one friend is a dietician and at her hospital they need people who can hit the ground running because they are so busy. She said while they were interviewing a woman for the open dietician position she had the strangest things to say.
Q1:How did you become interested in this career?
A1:Well, I used to work at a senior citizen's home and I thought, ew old people!

Q2: Where do you see yourself in two years?
A2: Well, I really just want to get married and have lots of kids!
Q2: Um, we mean "professionally"

Are there other people on here looking for work and/or people who have words of advice or funny stories about job searching?

Cherry91

Re: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:50:27 PM »
I'm currently job hunting, with a little bit of temping thrown in when times get tight.

I went to a group job interview a few weeks back (7 candidates, each question was asked and then we went around the table and each person answered in a different order each time).

The interviewer asked where we wanted to be in 5 years, and everyone started giving their answers... until we reached one candidate, who shrugged and said in a very unbothered voice "Dunno."

Cue needle scratch sound.

Everyone was staring at him in shock. That is one of the most common questions in a job interview. Even if you truly don't know, you lie! Or at least pretty up your answer more than "Dunno!"

The group interview was weird in another way - everyone is trying to sell themselves, of course, but it's weird to be in a room where almost everyone there is doing the exact same thing. Everyone sounded a bit hollow and artificial, and I'm sure I sounded the same to them.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

Cali.in.UK

Re: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:25:18 PM »
Yeah, group interviews are rough and it always feels like you are a contestant on the Bachelorette or something. Good luck Cherry.

An interview technique that has really been throwing me off lately is the overly enthusiastic/praising/positive interviewer who has no intention of hiring me. It's so odd. I feel like in 95% of situations I can read people, which in the past included interviewers, but I've gone to a few job interviews in which the interviewer really made me feel like I was a good fit, and I left the interview feeling really confident and then.... nothing. Not even a second round interview.
Has anyone else encountered it? Now I don't know what to think after interviews.