Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1036936 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9735 on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
Sometimes you can use a sturdy trash bag to "hand wash" things - it's a technique I've seen recommended for camping. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9736 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

...  I actually never thought of that one. I guess I never thought feet could get something clean! ;D

Hey, if they're good enough for grapes ... !   ;D

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9737 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »

...  I actually never thought of that one. I guess I never thought feet could get something clean! ;D

Hey, if they're good enough for grapes ... !   ;D

;D ;D ;D There is that!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9738 on: September 26, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
Once or twice, very early in our marriage, there was too much month left over at the end of the money.  Not even change for doing laundry.  I "foot-washed" a whole batch of uniform shirts this way, and ironed them dry.

Elfmama -- my kindred spirit! ;D  I've done the same thing for the same reasons and it truly works quite well! Necessity is the mother of invention.

Truth be told, and I am ashamed to admit this . . . the uniforms were my then-DH's (now my ex, gee I wonder why? ::)) and his work place actually had a free laundry service for the uniforms. He didn't like using the service because they mixed up the uniforms (sometimes different sizes) and came back scratchy and stiff. So, being the newlywed (21-yr-old, 30 years ago) happy homemaker that I aspired to be, I used this approach when we were broke. :P

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9739 on: September 27, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
I didn't know clothes with flammable liquids on them shouldn't be machine washed! Why is that? Does it harm the machine's innards?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9740 on: September 27, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
I didn't know clothes with flammable liquids on them shouldn't be machine washed! Why is that? Does it harm the machine's innards?

There have been fires started that way...sparks from the machinery.  It is a safety hazard, as the washing machine & dryer (heat) work best when closed - which would concentrate any flammable fumes...

I've never seen it happen - but I have talked to at least one repairman who had.

I think one time it was a dishwasher - which had the "heated dry" option selected - so fumes & a metal heating element added up to a very bad day for the owner of the dishwasher...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Redsoil

« Reply #9741 on: Yesterday at 09:33:03 AM »
I would think that even with limited facilities, one could "spot-wash" the portion the spill was on, then wash normally in the machine.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!