Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 247501 times)

knitwicca

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1020 on: August 07, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »

And here are some of mine: http://mamaalanna.imgur.com/

Someone asked me how much I'd charge for the mermaid quilt.  I quoted her $5000, and that's probably not paying myself minimum wage.

Your quilts are truly works of art and artistry.
I am in awe.

And will stick with knitting....I cannot see myself having the patience to piece and quilt such beauty.

Phoebelion

« Reply #1021 on: August 07, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »
Mammaalanna

As one quilter to another, I humbly kneel before you in hopes of being gently smiled upon for my unworthy attempts at the craft.  You are a treasure with the inner eye and perseverance of a true artist.

Margo

« Reply #1022 on: August 07, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
Those are wonderful! I particularly love the medieval one!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1023 on: August 07, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
Thank you all.  I enjoyed making every one.  You'll notice that something that elaborate gets given only to family members.  The simple ones that go to the Wounded Warrior Project and Project Linus don't always get photographed.  Sometimes they fly out the door before I can get the camera out of its bag.   ;)

And DH complains  :o "Why do you need to buy more fabric for backing, when you have box after box?"  Because it's all in 1/8 or 1/4 yard pieces, dear. 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:10:08 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1024 on: August 16, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
Whoever came up with the phrase, "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life" had no idea what they were talking about - and has poisoned the well for those of us who craft.

I love my soapmaking business.  The amount of joy and happiness I get from designing, making and selling my products is slightly unreal. 
Standing outside in 90 degree heat while uncounted numbers of people say things like, "Oh, it's really cool that you have something fun to do on weekends!" and "Oh, I bet it doesn't feel like work at all when you make something so fun" or the rare, "I don't think I should have to pay for this; after all, it's just for fun!" (followed by laughter at their "joke") makes me feel all stabby inside. 

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1025 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:18 AM »
I was thinking about this thread a few weeks ago when I visited a farmer's market.

A vendor had some nice planters that I liked. I wasn't ready to purchase any right at that moment but I did make sure to get a copy of his brochure and price list.

I looked at it and commented "These prices are right in line for what I would expect to pay for hand made, custom planters."

The vendor literally blinked in surprise and actually thanked me.
Sadly, I wasn't surprised that he was surprised.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #1026 on: August 17, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
^
That is so sad.

It's a shame that craft artists are not given the respect (and money) they deserve for the lovely original things that are created.

There is no true comparison between quality hand-crafted items and items that are cheaply mass- produced found in the big box stores.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1027 on: August 17, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »
LadyJaneinMD had a great idea in the Beggars & Moochers thread of starting one specifically for those who craft and are constantly begged for work to be done cheaply or even for free. Happily, here it is.

I write. Not surprisingly, I get asked (more accurately, it's assumed) to write for free because "after all, you like to write so it's not like it's work for you." Closely related to that is the "you like to read so you can edit my book (note: for "royalties")," followed by "you can review my book on Amazon!" Ugh. I also love the "I have this great idea for a book! I'll tell it to you, you write it, and we'll make lots of money!"

How about you?

*edited to add one more example*

We used to get that sort of thing quite frequently at the library.   

'I want to write a children's book about the mystery of the Great Pyramid but I don't know of any.  Can you help me find a mystery and solve it for me?'

Oooookay, you've just asked us to provide the plot for your book.  As we say in Brooklyn, 'Fuggedaboutit!'

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #1028 on: September 18, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
Okay, new to the site, but I have a story of my own.

BG: I make pony bead keychains and braided bracelets in my spare time.

A friend of a friend contacted me saying that she heard that I made bracelets and keychains and wanted to know if I could make some for her to sell for a charity she does. I said that I would do it and only charge for supplies (Since after all, they were for charity).

Her reply: "They are for a CHARITY. We're trying to raise money here, we can't have you being obsessed with your own gain."

::) Really? It would cost you the same to make them yourself. I don't just have $50 worth of beads/hemp laying around that I can just give away.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #1029 on: September 18, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »
^
That is so sad.

It's a shame that craft artists are not given the respect (and money) they deserve for the lovely original things that are created.

There is no true comparison between quality hand-crafted items and items that are cheaply mass- produced found in the big box stores.

Too true. We aren't just vending machines where you can pop in a few dollars (Or just a request), and out comes a story/bracelet/drawing/ect.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1030 on: September 18, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
Okay, new to the site, but I have a story of my own.

BG: I make pony bead keychains and braided bracelets in my spare time.

A friend of a friend contacted me saying that she heard that I made bracelets and keychains and wanted to know if I could make some for her to sell for a charity she does. I said that I would do it and only charge for supplies (Since after all, they were for charity).

Her reply: "They are for a CHARITY. We're trying to raise money here, we can't have you being obsessed with your own gain."

::) Really? It would cost you the same to make them yourself. I don't just have $50 worth of beads/hemp laying around that I can just give away.

What did she say after you told her you don't want to go into debt for her charity?

lowspark

« Reply #1031 on: September 18, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Whoever came up with the phrase, "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life" had no idea what they were talking about - and has poisoned the well for those of us who craft.

I love my soapmaking business.  The amount of joy and happiness I get from designing, making and selling my products is slightly unreal. 
Standing outside in 90 degree heat while uncounted numbers of people say things like, "Oh, it's really cool that you have something fun to do on weekends!" and "Oh, I bet it doesn't feel like work at all when you make something so fun" or the rare, "I don't think I should have to pay for this; after all, it's just for fun!" (followed by laughter at their "joke") makes me feel all stabby inside.

I've been keeping up with this thread but this is my first comment.

I went to a woodworking event/sale this weekend. It was pretty small and most of the items didn't interest me. But there was this one guy there who was actually doing some carving at the event. I watched him for a couple of minutes as he carefully and gently tapped his chisel to get the exact right dent in the wood. I was thinking to myself what intricate and difficult work that was.

He paused and asked how I was, so I replied, "fine thanks, how are you?" and he said, "great! I'm not working!" I did a double take and said, "Yes, you are!!" We both laughed because it was clear he meant not working at his "day job". But to him, the work he was doing wasn't work.

But yeah, no doubt about it, that was work:D

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #1032 on: September 18, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »

Someone asked me how much I'd charge for the mermaid quilt.  I quoted her $5000, and that's probably not paying myself minimum wage.

Those are so gorgeous. The fairy tale ones reminded me of the Reading Rainbow, which I haven't thought of in years. Thank you for sharing so much loveliness.

One of my favorite things about Burning Man is the number of crafters there who know what it takes to make something, and will compliment you lavishly for things that you've created (also, being there is like a visual fairyland of craftiness for a number of arts). It was actually sort of amazing, because some friends of friends who saw a few costume pieces that I was working on for Burning Man (skirts made to be worn over a hoop skirt or a crinoline) started doing that "oh, can you make one for me! that's so cool!...it would cost HOW MUCH?!?!?!?! $700!?!?!?!?! <eye roll> you'll never make money selling it for that price!".

1) The base fabric was $25/yard, and it took nearly 6 yards of fabric to make it
2) I'm pretty sure that I said it was for me to wear to burning man, not something I'm trying to sell
3) the LED lights that I'm placing all over the skirt cost another $60
4) just taking the time to piece the fabric, poke the LEDs through from the inside and then stitch the cord to the inside of the skirt took around 20 hours. drafting the pattern, making a mock-up, & finalizing the pattern took another 12 hours. Cutting & sewing the actual fabric for the skirt took 10 more hours (the fabric was a satin that had giant roses all over it made out of the same satin, so I had to sew it super-slow, so that there was less chance of my machine becoming miscalibrated from going from thicker to thinner fabric over & over again). Binding all of the edges, & seams because it could have absolutely no fabric exposed that could shed loose thread was another 6 hours (and I kind of wanted to shoot myself by the time that was done). And then there was putting on the waistband, and the hook and eyes, and ties I'd added, so I could tie a giant bow at the waist. Oh, and sewing the inner bags for the LED battery boxes to go into, and applying those.

So yeah, it was a lot of freaking work. And cost a lot of money to make. And I think $700 is about right for that much effort. If I was going to sell it, but I probably wouldn't, because I don't like listening to idiots natter about the cost of things when they have no idea how hard it is to make them.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

mime

« Reply #1033 on: September 18, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »

Those are so gorgeous. The fairy tale ones reminded me of the Reading Rainbow, which I haven't thought of in years. Thank you for sharing so much loveliness.

One of my favorite things about Burning Man is the number of crafters there who know what it takes to make something, and will compliment you lavishly for things that you've created (also, being there is like a visual fairyland of craftiness for a number of arts). It was actually sort of amazing, because some friends of friends who saw a few costume pieces that I was working on for Burning Man (skirts made to be worn over a hoop skirt or a crinoline) started doing that "oh, can you make one for me! that's so cool!...it would cost HOW MUCH?!?!?!?! $700!?!?!?!?! <eye roll> you'll never make money selling it for that price!".

1) The base fabric was $25/yard, and it took nearly 6 yards of fabric to make it
2) I'm pretty sure that I said it was for me to wear to burning man, not something I'm trying to sell
3) the LED lights that I'm placing all over the skirt cost another $60
4) just taking the time to piece the fabric, poke the LEDs through from the inside and then stitch the cord to the inside of the skirt took around 20 hours. drafting the pattern, making a mock-up, & finalizing the pattern took another 12 hours. Cutting & sewing the actual fabric for the skirt took 10 more hours (the fabric was a satin that had giant roses all over it made out of the same satin, so I had to sew it super-slow, so that there was less chance of my machine becoming miscalibrated from going from thicker to thinner fabric over & over again). Binding all of the edges, & seams because it could have absolutely no fabric exposed that could shed loose thread was another 6 hours (and I kind of wanted to shoot myself by the time that was done). And then there was putting on the waistband, and the hook and eyes, and ties I'd added, so I could tie a giant bow at the waist. Oh, and sewing the inner bags for the LED battery boxes to go into, and applying those.

So yeah, it was a lot of freaking work. And cost a lot of money to make. And I think $700 is about right for that much effort. If I was going to sell it, but I probably wouldn't, because I don't like listening to idiots natter about the cost of things when they have no idea how hard it is to make them.

** mime does some mental math..... **
The way I see it, you wouldn't even be clearing $9/hour if you were to charge $700. You actually didn't give yourself nearly enough credit for skilled work and artistry!

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1034 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »
Picture! Picture!  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.