News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 12:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 574012 times)

mime

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1020 on: September 18, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
And here are some of mine: http://mamaalanna.imgur.com/

Someone asked me how much I'd charge for the mermaid quilt.  I quoted her $5000, and that's probably not paying myself minimum wage.

Those are so gorgeous. The fairy tale ones reminded me of the Reading Rainbow, which I haven't thought of in years. Thank you for sharing so much loveliness.

One of my favorite things about Burning Man is the number of crafters there who know what it takes to make something, and will compliment you lavishly for things that you've created (also, being there is like a visual fairyland of craftiness for a number of arts). It was actually sort of amazing, because some friends of friends who saw a few costume pieces that I was working on for Burning Man (skirts made to be worn over a hoop skirt or a crinoline) started doing that "oh, can you make one for me! that's so cool!...it would cost HOW MUCH?!?!?!?! $700!?!?!?!?! <eye roll> you'll never make money selling it for that price!".

1) The base fabric was $25/yard, and it took nearly 6 yards of fabric to make it
2) I'm pretty sure that I said it was for me to wear to burning man, not something I'm trying to sell
3) the LED lights that I'm placing all over the skirt cost another $60
4) just taking the time to piece the fabric, poke the LEDs through from the inside and then stitch the cord to the inside of the skirt took around 20 hours. drafting the pattern, making a mock-up, & finalizing the pattern took another 12 hours. Cutting & sewing the actual fabric for the skirt took 10 more hours (the fabric was a satin that had giant roses all over it made out of the same satin, so I had to sew it super-slow, so that there was less chance of my machine becoming miscalibrated from going from thicker to thinner fabric over & over again). Binding all of the edges, & seams because it could have absolutely no fabric exposed that could shed loose thread was another 6 hours (and I kind of wanted to shoot myself by the time that was done). And then there was putting on the waistband, and the hook and eyes, and ties I'd added, so I could tie a giant bow at the waist. Oh, and sewing the inner bags for the LED battery boxes to go into, and applying those.

So yeah, it was a lot of freaking work. And cost a lot of money to make. And I think $700 is about right for that much effort. If I was going to sell it, but I probably wouldn't, because I don't like listening to idiots natter about the cost of things when they have no idea how hard it is to make them.

** mime does some mental math..... **
The way I see it, you wouldn't even be clearing $9/hour if you were to charge $700. You actually didn't give yourself nearly enough credit for skilled work and artistry!

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1021 on: September 18, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
Picture! Picture!  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #1022 on: September 18, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »

Someone asked me how much I'd charge for the mermaid quilt.  I quoted her $5000, and that's probably not paying myself minimum wage.

Those are so gorgeous. The fairy tale ones reminded me of the Reading Rainbow, which I haven't thought of in years. Thank you for sharing so much loveliness.

One of my favorite things about Burning Man is the number of crafters there who know what it takes to make something, and will compliment you lavishly for things that you've created (also, being there is like a visual fairyland of craftiness for a number of arts). It was actually sort of amazing, because some friends of friends who saw a few costume pieces that I was working on for Burning Man (skirts made to be worn over a hoop skirt or a crinoline) started doing that "oh, can you make one for me! that's so cool!...it would cost HOW MUCH?!?!?!?! $700!?!?!?!?! <eye roll> you'll never make money selling it for that price!".

1) The base fabric was $25/yard, and it took nearly 6 yards of fabric to make it
2) I'm pretty sure that I said it was for me to wear to burning man, not something I'm trying to sell
4) just taking the time to piece the fabric, poke the LEDs through from the inside and then stitch the cord to the inside of the skirt took around 20 hours. drafting the pattern, making a mock-up, & finalizing the pattern took another 12 hours. Cutting & sewing the actual fabric for the skirt took 10 more hours (the fabric was a satin that had giant roses all over it made out of the same satin, so I had to sew it super-slow, so that there was less chance of my machine becoming miscalibrated from going from thicker to thinner fabric over & over again). Binding all of the edges, & seams because it could have absolutely no fabric exposed that could shed loose thread was another 6 hours (and I kind of wanted to shoot myself by the time that was done). And then there was putting on the waistband, and the hook and eyes, and ties I'd added, so I could tie a giant bow at the waist. Oh, and sewing the inner bags for the LED battery boxes to go into, and applying those.

So yeah, it was a lot of freaking work. And cost a lot of money to make. And I think $700 is about right for that much effort. If I was going to sell it, but I probably wouldn't, because I don't like listening to idiots natter about the cost of things when they have no idea how hard it is to make them.

The way I see it, you wouldn't even be clearing $9/hour if you were to charge $700. You actually didn't give yourself nearly enough credit for skilled work and artistry!

True...but I also wouldn't feel like I was giving it away. Because really, the possibility of me making something like that for anybody other than myself is zero to none. I don't even like sewing. I just like what I can make for myself.

The one thing I have been debating is letting people rent my costumes, but I'm not even sure how I'd feel about that. Maybe if I end up with some that I really don't want to wear any more.

I sadly have no good photos right now. Not even one. I didn't put it on until the evening, and although it looked gorgeous in person, in photos, it just looks like a black blur with glowy blurs sprinkled on it. I can't figure out how to take a good photos of the thing.

But I should post some photos of a few others. I have one that I made out of this amazing fabric that has little bits of rainbow-hued mylar covering it like fur (and boy did I test that stuff before using it; it needed to not pull out easily). It looks awesome & is very photogenic. :)
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #1023 on: September 18, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
Okay, new to the site, but I have a story of my own.

BG: I make pony bead keychains and braided bracelets in my spare time.

A friend of a friend contacted me saying that she heard that I made bracelets and keychains and wanted to know if I could make some for her to sell for a charity she does. I said that I would do it and only charge for supplies (Since after all, they were for charity).

Her reply: "They are for a CHARITY. We're trying to raise money here, we can't have you being obsessed with your own gain."

::) Really? It would cost you the same to make them yourself. I don't just have $50 worth of beads/hemp laying around that I can just give away.

What did she say after you told her you don't want to go into debt for her charity?

Thankfully, she just left after that and found some other poor sap to beg.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1024 on: September 18, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »

True...but I also wouldn't feel like I was giving it away. Because really, the possibility of me making something like that for anybody other than myself is zero to none. I don't even like sewing. I just like what I can make for myself.

The one thing I have been debating is letting people rent my costumes, but I'm not even sure how I'd feel about that. Maybe if I end up with some that I really don't want to wear any more.

I sadly have no good photos right now. Not even one. I didn't put it on until the evening, and although it looked gorgeous in person, in photos, it just looks like a black blur with glowy blurs sprinkled on it. I can't figure out how to take a good photos of the thing.

But I should post some photos of a few others. I have one that I made out of this amazing fabric that has little bits of rainbow-hued mylar covering it like fur (and boy did I test that stuff before using it; it needed to not pull out easily). It looks awesome & is very photogenic. :)

You may need to get a longer exposure of the outfit.  Or you'll want to merge several pictures together.  One that shows the dress properly and the other that shows your face properly. 

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1025 on: September 18, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »

A friend of a friend contacted me saying that she heard that I made bracelets and keychains and wanted to know if I could make some for her to sell for a charity she does. I said that I would do it and only charge for supplies (Since after all, they were for charity).

Her reply: "They are for a CHARITY. We're trying to raise money here, we can't have you being obsessed with your own gain."

::) Really? It would cost you the same to make them yourself. I don't just have $50 worth of beads/hemp laying around that I can just give away.

I would've pointed out, as "nicely" as possible, what you just said, "You do know that it would cost you the same to make them yourself?  Anyway, I'm no longer available."

weeblewobble

« Reply #1026 on: September 18, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »

Some of my favorite authors have discovered that a web site is offering their books as ebook downloads for a few dollars each. The web site is not a legal vendor.  The sales are not counted towards the authors' royalties.The authors will never see a dime of the money.  And when the authors protest this practice, the admins of the web site defends themselves by saying, "Well, we're giving part of the proceeds to a good cause! You are so selfish!  You must HATE CHARITY!"

No, you're stealing. Full stop.  And you're trying to dress it up with altruism.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1027 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »

Some of my favorite authors have discovered that a web site is offering their books as ebook downloads for a few dollars each. The web site is not a legal vendor.  The sales are not counted towards the authors' royalties.The authors will never see a dime of the money.  And when the authors protest this practice, the admins of the web site defends themselves by saying, "Well, we're giving part of the proceeds to a good cause! You are so selfish!  You must HATE CHARITY!"

No, you're stealing. Full stop.  And you're trying to dress it up with altruism.

Could you please share what website? I have a hunch but I want to be sure - and avoid it like the plague.

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #1028 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »

Pictures? Please! :)
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

weeblewobble

« Reply #1029 on: September 19, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »

Could you please share what website? I have a hunch but I want to be sure - and avoid it like the plague.

Sent you a PM

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1030 on: September 19, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
Thanks!

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #1031 on: September 19, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »

Yes, could you also share this site with me. Its one thing if the authors post their stories online for everybody to enjoy with their free will, or its a long dead author like Poe who's work is now public domain, but its another if the author is alive and has no idea.

Back when I first really got into writing, somebody copied (I mean they used the copy paste tools, not write a very similar plot.) one of my first fanfictions and pasted it on their account.

When I messaged them about it, I got a snotty, "I'm just helping you get more popularity, plus its public domain, anyways. Honestly, it wasn't even that good, anyways."

::) Uh, no. Your discaimer said, "I do not own (fandom) or (Characters)." It said nothing about me in there. Second, even if its Fanfiction/Online, that does not make it public domain. It is only public domain if the author says so. Three, if it was so bad, then why did you steal it?

Of course, I was a bit naive at the time, so I just believed that she was right. She did get reported, though, and got "her"  ::) story removed. She of course, female dogged and moaned about how unfair it was and how she didn't know. Well, apparently she stole a few other stories later on, and tried to claim ignorance again.

She got banned. The mind, it boggles.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #1032 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »

Sent you a PM

Could one of you PM me as well, please? I'd hate to accidentally purchase a book from them!

dawnfire

« Reply #1033 on: September 19, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

Sent you a PM

Could one of you PM me as well, please? I'd hate to accidentally purchase a book from them!

can you PM me too?
Whittlesea Victoria

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1034 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
can I join the PM bandwagon here? I really hate it when people steal stuff.