Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 175078 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
When I was a kid I remember my mom spent months making clothing for my sister's Barbie dolls.  For Christmas, one of their presents was a one foot deep, 3 feet square box packed full of little designer outfits.  Mom had copied outfits out of every fashion magazine, there were even little mink Hand Warmers and stoles.  There were easily over a hundred separate outfits.

The lady across the street became very upset that my sisters had things that her daughter didn't have and told my mother that she expected mom to make twice as many clothes for her daughter for free.  Mom laughed.

edit - changed to Hand Warmers

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »
I just purchased a new 8" square cake pan with no welds, so the corners are perfectly straight. Square cakes can be very difficult to decorate. I will be making a cake in it this weekend for DS. I'll post any pictures here.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »
My SOís mother strikes again: she wants me to repair a blanket for her, for free, of course, on her time table. I wasn't around when she asked SO if I could do it, but evidently "I don't know if she can, why don't you ask her next time we're over; Iíll warn you that she probably won't have time, since we're moving," wasn't acceptable to heróshe wanted him to bring it to our house, you know, the place that we're packing up and moving out of and trying to remove things from.

No is pretty easy for me in this case, since my machine is going to the shop today to get pampered before I move somewhere with no good shops for my machine type, but still. I also mentioned that she owns a sewing machine and does know how to use it, right?

So, not only do we have "itís not like itís work!", itís also another chapter in the narcissistic "you can't move, because we neeeeeeed you" saga.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
Reminds me of a request that was definitely not a freebie - a good story, if you will.

One of my coworkers asked me if I thought I could repair an afghan of her husband's that his blind grandmother (now gone) had knit for him.  I told her that I'd have a look and see what I could do.  She offered to pay me and I told her we'd talk about it once I saw how much work it would be.

This afghan was not the most appealing looking thing with the colour combinations but it turned out most of the repair needed to be done on seams - just sewing them back up.  There were a few spots where the yarn had split and there were holes so I just used a modified sock darning technique with a somewhat matching yarn and patched the holes.  Considering its less than appealing appearance, I wasn't hugely worried about exact matches.  Its value was sentimental.

When I brought it back to her, I explained that it was pretty fragile; wash it once, gently, and then keep it somewhere where it wouldn't get too dirty, to need a lot of washing.  She was so grateful and wanted to pay me.  I suggested that she take me out to lunch one day, instead.  So we went to our favourite all you can eat sushi place and pigged out.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

z_squared82

« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »
I just purchased a new 8" square cake pan with no welds, so the corners are perfectly straight. Square cakes can be very difficult to decorate. I will be making a cake in it this weekend for DS. I'll post any pictures here.

Square cakes and black icing. I only know b/c my mother's friend's daughter (follow that?) demanded her brother, the culinary *student* make her a three-tier, square wedding cake, with black fondant. To match the bridesmaid's dresses of course. And for free, of course (although mom's friend probably paid for the ingredients).

I saw the outcome. It looked exactly like a student did it. You really do get what you pay for. I hope it tasted good and that the bride didn't express her displeasure ever, period.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
My son, who is a Boy Scout, plans to earn his Eagle Scout rank in the next year, which is a very big deal. I am going to make the cake for his ceremony, and I am trying to prepare for it by lots of practice and slowly buying the pans I will need.

Shalamar

« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
For Christmas, one of their presents was a one foot deep, 3 feet square box packed full of little designer outfits. 

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful present, and how talented your mum must be!  I'd love to see pictures.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
For Christmas, one of their presents was a one foot deep, 3 feet square box packed full of little designer outfits. 

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful present, and how talented your mum must be!  I'd love to see pictures.

I wish I had some - it's been about 44 years now.  I will write and see if either sister has any of them left.

snowflake

« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
I have a question for the crafters: Suppose I were to approach you and ask, 'Would you be interested in doing <commission>?  What would you charge?'  And after hearing the charge, I said, 'Oh my, I had no idea...I'm afraid I can't afford this right now'.  Would you be offended by this exchange? I'm not saying that your time and skill aren't worth the price, more that I didn't know what that price was and now that I know, it's just out of my budget.

I wouldn't be offended by this exchange.  Though it rarely happens like this.  Most of the time I am explaining that the opportunity cost for me is too much.  I knit on the bus or at conferences.  I can manage to make a few cute items for my kids and myself with that time.  If I knit other times, that means something isn't getting done: work, I'm not spending time with my kids, I'm not cleaning my house that sorely needs it, etc. 

"Your work isn't worth that." stings a little bit.

"You should be glad to make a low wage" Is annoying because- Hello? Do they think I've been working at McDonalds for the past 20 years?

"You should blow off your kids for my whims."  Yeah, don't got there.  It's beyond rude. It's treating me like a machine without a life.

snowfire

« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
I bow down to your mother, zyrs.  Barbie clothes are so tiny and fiddly to make, the whole idea of doing that many....WOW!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
I bow down to your mother, zyrs.  Barbie clothes are so tiny and fiddly to make, the whole idea of doing that many....WOW!

But they go fast!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
I have a question for the crafters: Suppose I were to approach you and ask, 'Would you be interested in doing <commission>?  What would you charge?'  And after hearing the charge, I said, 'Oh my, I had no idea...I'm afraid I can't afford this right now'.  Would you be offended by this exchange? I'm not saying that your time and skill aren't worth the price, more that I didn't know what that price was and now that I know, it's just out of my budget.

Not offended, and I may even follow it up with some suggestions for similar things I could do for less.  (Although my jewelry making is a higher ratio of materials cost to time than some of the other crafts listed here, so that may not hold for more time-intensive work.)  Usually it comes down to speed, color, and price for me - pick two.  I can make the exact color necklace you want relatively quickly if I buy the (more expensive) beads at the local shops, or I can make it more cheaply if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for me to order online and get the same beads shipped from China for a third of the cost, or I can make you something with the beads I have on hand but it might not be the exact shade you expected.

Hillia

« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »

But they go fast!

One Christmas my mom made not only Barbie clothes, but a few outfits for Chrissie and Kerry dolls (remember those?  They had long hair that could be retracted into the top of their heads or pulled out to various lengths).  What makes it so impressive is that my mom couldn't sew.  My grandmother could, and beautifully, but my mom never had the knack - so those tiny doll outfits were quite an accomplishment for her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
my skill is not a craft - but it isn't FREE either...

"Can you look at my tax return, I think my CPA made a mistake..." 
I sure can, I will need all of your original documents and it might cost about xx dollars for me to put it all together to check their work.  Why don't you just go see them and have them explain it to you, since you've already paid them to do it?

"Can you take a look at my financials, I think my bookkeeper is posting some stuff to the wrong places..."
I sure can, I will schedule an appointment to come to your office, visit with your bookkeeper and look over some random documents - just like an audit.  I charge xx dollars per hour, sometimes it can take all day if something looks amiss to me.  Let me get my calendar, what day might be good for you?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »

That is awesome!

I remember one time for a birthday or Christmas, I got a box of knitted Barbie doll outfits (and a couple of Barbie knock-off dolls) from someone I'd never heard of - turns out my Mom's old scout leader, a woman I'd never met, had made them all.

I love to knit, but I can't imagine trying to make all those little outfits, but then again, I am the World's Slowest Knitter.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture