News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 11:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 592103 times)

Mustard

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1755 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
Thought of you all when I saw this on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/mysweetBcreations/videos/931940353619164

(I hope the link works!)

The link works: so true!

Hillia

« Reply #1756 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »
And she's not using expensive materials, either.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #1757 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:03 AM »
Last year, I made two of those wreaths that you do with a wire frame and the mesh fabric. Same idea here: http://www.minimalisti.com/decoration/christmas-decoration/08/how-to-make-a-mesh-wreath-tutorial.html. I had them hanging inside the house. My sister's friend see them and asks where I got them. I said I made them. She then announces to my sister, "That's what I want for Christmas next year and SingMeAway can make it! ??? Really. Sister, of course, thought this was a lovely idea. She's good at being magnanimous with other peoples' time and possessions sometimes >:(. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next November when sister remembers, but she might be a bit surprised at the cost of the materials.

lilfox

« Reply #1758 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
I thought of this thread the other day; someone in a FB group for my hometown posted a picture of a really cute scarf, asking if someone had a pattern and could make one "reasonable" for her.

The scarf (someone else posted the pattern they found) appears to be a large triangle, with several holes of varying sizes and you wrap the scarf around your neck, and  you can thread the other end through, and it ruches nicely. I know I'm not describing it that well, but suffice it to say, it was more involved than just knitting a long straight muffler scarf. Which I also know takes time.

a whole bunch of people said oh my mom, or i know someone, again i'm guessing having no clue what goes into something like that.

Someone else posted yeah, i found that pattern, and by the time you buy the yarn (not Michaels') and the time, it will be far from reasonable! It was very pretty too, but I had to laugh since i know nothing about knitting, and yet knew that it would be nowhere near reasonable, and guessed the poster's idea of reasonable would be $25 or less.

I've done triangle scarves and scarves with a hole to pull the other end through.  They don't have to be particularly difficult (depends on your choice of stitch, I always go for easy), but definitely time consuming and cost will vary by quality of yarn.  $25 might be what you can pay at a store for a mass produced version in acrylic knit, but custom handmade with quality yarn will always be more.

Last year, I made two of those wreaths that you do with a wire frame and the mesh fabric. Same idea here: http://www.minimalisti.com/decoration/christmas-decoration/08/how-to-make-a-mesh-wreath-tutorial.html. I had them hanging inside the house. My sister's friend see them and asks where I got them. I said I made them. She then announces to my sister, "That's what I want for Christmas next year and SingMeAway can make it! ??? Really. Sister, of course, thought this was a lovely idea. She's good at being magnanimous with other peoples' time and possessions sometimes >:(. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next November when sister remembers, but she might be a bit surprised at the cost of the materials.

Ooh, thanks for the link!  I now have a wreath frame and have been wondering what to do with it.  All you'll need to do if/when your sister remembers is send her that same link and let her decide if she wants to do that herself.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1759 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »

Materials and your time to go shopping for the materials and actually make the wreath, I'd say. Plus a surcharge for the fact that the friend was referring to you in the third person as "SingMeAway can make them" while you were in the room.

Or, I suppose, send your sister to the craft store with a shopping list, and your Christmas gift to her can be the work of making her Christmas present for her friend.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #1760 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »

Materials and your time to go shopping for the materials and actually make the wreath, I'd say. Plus a surcharge for the fact that the friend was referring to you in the third person as "SingMeAway can make them" while you were in the room.

Or, I suppose, send your sister to the craft store with a shopping list, and your Christmas gift to her can be the work of making her Christmas present for her friend.

I love it! I think I may do that after I try lilfox's suggestion of "make it yourself"  :D

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1761 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
I may have mentioned this story before.  I forget where I read it.

Lady has a booth at a craft fair with fairly low prices set for her wares (she enjoys doing it and isn't trying to get rich off doing her *whatever they are* - say rag dolls).   She just wants to be able to sell the dolls for a bit more than the materials and the cost of the table at the craft fair cost her and a reasonable amount for her labor, as the craft (whatever it really was - I don't recall) was something that she liked to do.

Picky customer (Call her Sally, because that was not the name the friend called her) comes the first year and then drags a friend (call her Josephine) over to look at one of the dolls for an hour or more...they leave with a comment about friend Josephine making her one "because it will be cheaper".

Next year, Sally shows up again to look at the new, improved dolls for year two with Josephine while asking Josephine if she'll make her one of these, as they are "too expensive" again this year.

Josephine flat out tells Sally that it cost her several times that amount of money over the last year and more than six months to make *one* doll that Betty thought was good enough to pay her for.  Which added up to a lot more time & aggravation than she'd planned on to make "just one doll".   She's not spending the time or money to learn how to make the new doll and practice enough times to make it well enough to satisfy Sally, who you can tell she thinks is rather picky for someone who doesn't do any craftwork herself.  Sally can just buy one of those dolls on the table or live without a new, improved doll.   And Josephine refuses to look at the new doll because she apparently knows Sally well enough to know that looking the thing over will mean it turns into a project for Josephine to make for Sally, at least in Sally's mind.

Sally apparently does buy a doll, but is still making comments about how "expensive" they are compared to the cost of materials for "just one".  Sally apparently has never tried to make one herself...and I don't remember seeing an update the next year - I don't know if the Lady went to the craft fair, if the craft fair shut down, or Sally just came in and bought something without mouthing off about "how expensive" it was after that.

Definitely give your sister the option of making one for her friend while handing her the shopping list of materials and the place to find the instructions - but give her the option of paying you a lot more than it would cost for "just the materials" if she wants you to make one.  You might as well get some spending money for your time - which can be spent on something besides just covering the materials for the one you're making.  You might want to be able to buy yourself lunch once or twice, too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:51:09 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Luci

« Reply #1762 on: January 12, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
Years ago I read about an artist commissioned to design a piece for a hotel chain for $50. He did, it got approved and several more were ordered. The price at that point was $200 each. When the difference was questioned, Artist said that the first was creative fun. The rest were work.

That is anther reason I would never do a craft for selling and made very few duplicates for friends and family.

I know that the appreciation for the time involved as well as the skill is appallingly lacking by many.