Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 173882 times)

o_gal

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
This is not a craft skill but it will take time, energy, and work. And all for that lovely "but you'll get free publicity for your sport!"

Our orienteering club has been asked by another organization to put on a small event/course in about 2 months as part of Other Event. Other Event (OE) is doing something focusing on various outdoor activities and doing healthy stuff outdoors. Problem #1 - there is no map for this venue, so we would have to find the time for DH to go out and map the venue. Problem #2 - it's at a bad time for finding volunteers to help. Problem #3 is the one that will determine whether we do this or not.

We are required to send a set amount of money to the governing body (US) for the sport, in order for participants to be covered under insurance. Since our sport requires walking/running through areas that can potentially be dangerous (rocky soil, uneven ground, streams, pits, cliffs, karst, etc.) we have to have insurance. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. So we have to pay that, it's not optional.

The other costs could actually be minimized enough to not charge for entry - we probably have enough map paper and punch cards (no e-punch for this event) in stock. So conceivably we could do this for "free". After all, according to the organizers of OE, it would be such great! free! publicity! for us. However, they would also have to cover us under THEIR insurance, or we will have to turn them down. I can't wait to hear the report after DH calls them to ask, how oh noes! they couldn't possibly carry us too - can't we still just fork over money from the club treasury to governing body so that we can still not charge anything? After all, given that we only have our own web site, presence on governing body's web site, we advertise on all the local running and active sports websites, and we get publicity from the local metroparks, we couldn't possibly pass up this golden! opportunity! for! free! publicity!  ::)

cwm

« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
My son, who is a Boy Scout, plans to earn his Eagle Scout rank in the next year, which is a very big deal. I am going to make the cake for his ceremony, and I am trying to prepare for it by lots of practice and slowly buying the pans I will need.

Do you have a cake decorating shop or similar near you? Some of them will rent out pans.

Some libraries rent out cake pans as well.

weeblewobble

« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »

I write. Not surprisingly, I get asked (more accurately, it's assumed) to write for free because "after all, you like to write so it's not like it's work for you." Closely related to that is the "you like to read so you can edit my book (note: for "royalties")," followed by "you can review my book on Amazon!" Ugh. I also love the "I have this great idea for a book! I'll tell it to you, you write it, and we'll make lots of money!"

It's like we're living the same life.  I'm a professional writer. If I don't meet my deadlines, I don't get paid. Somehow, people do not grasp that if I'm writing, editing or reviewing their work, I'm not doing MY work. and yet, I get all sorts of people telling me, "Oh, I just need you to 'put together' this press release/detailed family history/master's thesis for me." Because "put together" sounds so much easier than, "spend a number of hours ignoring your own work to do my work for me."  Or I am asked to "edit" something, which means cobble together a non-sensical document comprised of patches of text into a coherent flowing work.  And no, I shouldn't want to be paid for this work, because I make SO MUCH money writing my own pieces, right? (HA! Wait, just one more... HA!!)

Unfortunately, I'm also a bit crafty (jewelry making, baking, decorative sewing).  I can't tell you how many times I have been asked, "So when are you going to make ME a time-consuming necklace made of sterling silver and expensive semi-precious stones/extremely involved embroidery piece/fancy decorate cake involving several obscure, expensive ingredients?"  And of course, they don't plan on PAYING for those ingredients or materials, because they're a friend!  They want the friend discount!  Which is "free," of course!

I have gotten really good at saying no.

snowflake

« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »
I knit Aran sweaters.  Mainly just for family as we have our own pattern.  However my mother's best friend - mentioned in a previous thread  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=91621.msg2222244#msg2222244- asked me to make her one.  At the time we had a small baby and only one income, so money was very short.  I explained that I could not afford to buy the wool.  so she could either buy the wool herself  to my specifications or I would buy the wool as I could afford it and then knit it up.  She wanted me to buy the wool, so that's what I did.  It took quite a long time to purchase all the balls, but I spent the time designing a pattern for her and working it out.  She would ask how her jumper was coming along, and I would tell her how many balls left to go.  Eventually I finished which took about three months.  She took the jumper and aid she would not pay me for either the wool or the time, as I had taken so long!
My Mother eventually said she would collect the money and paid it to me, but I found out afterwards, it was not from her friend but out of her own pocket.
I now only knit for family.

Um, yeah.  Sweater making is just like delivering a pizza!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »
The best way of getting a friend discount is never to ask for one!
NE England

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Some years ago, I was asked to donate a hand-made quilt to a charity auction. The bidding was fast and furious and the final price was about $500. A man came up and expressed to me his disappointment in not winning the bidding and asked if I would make him a duplicate quilt. Sure, I said. My fee would be $375. That fee would compensate for materials and my time at $20/hour.

He refused, aghast and horrified that I would "dare" to charge "that much" for a craft.  I pointed out that he pays the plumber or mechanic $100 an hour, so $20 an hour is hardly presumptuous. "But, but... plumbers and mechanics are skilled technicians working. And you just make quilts."

Whereas, I had a friend who had the opposite problem. She quilted for a living. She HATED with a passion Double Wedding Band quilts. She wanted people to stop asking for them, so every time she was asked, she'd raise the price. She was up to $1100, this was 20 years ago, and people still ordered them.

Sounds like the Pain In The Asterisk surcharge (PITA) still had to be raised.

I read a post on a sewing business mailing list - the woman had certain customers that were NOT worth her usual charges.  She raised ALL her fees the next year and added a special surcharge for "rush" jobs - the kind where the person has the outfit for months but brings it to the seamstress for hemming, repairs, or alternations just days before the event where they NEED it (say, the MOB has everything ready except her own dress, but "she's going to loose weight", doesn't, and brings it in two days before the wedding - PITA added).

She said that the customers could still be a pain to work with - but knowing that the hours spent on their jobs made her at least double (or triple) what the same time spent on someone else's job was a stress reducer, in many ways. Not that it made it "fun" - but apparently her inner Snark liked the idea of being paid double or triple time for working overtime with "that customer".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
My son, who is a Boy Scout, plans to earn his Eagle Scout rank in the next year, which is a very big deal. I am going to make the cake for his ceremony, and I am trying to prepare for it by lots of practice and slowly buying the pans I will need.

Do you have a cake decorating shop or similar near you? Some of them will rent out pans.

Some libraries rent out cake pans as well.

Not in Orlando.  :( I have been accumulating pans, I have high-quality half-sheet 3" tall, 8" square 3", and will be buying a 10" square and 12" square. I like to make special occasion cakes too, so they all will get used and I found a great source for good pans at great prices.

Thanks for looking out for me!

Shalamar

« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
This is somewhat different, because it's not a craft, but I can't be the only one who's been asked for a freebie from my job, can I?

I used to work for a dinner theatre.  I lost count of the number of people who said "Oh, you can get me free tickets!", and they were quite put out when I said "If I do that, I'll be fired."  "Well, not the GOOD tickets, sure, but you can give me the ones that don't sell."  Nope - I'd still get fired.

I also used to work for the I.T. department of a large grocery chain, and a lot of people thought that (a) I got free groceries (I didn't) and (b) I could hook THEM up with free or discounted groceries (I couldn't).

Barney girl

« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
This thread has reminded me of something from several years ago.
By way of background I learnt German at evening classes, eventually getting to the level of passing a number of the modules of the Institute of Linguists Diploma [sadly not the final module as I couldn't find a teacher]. This meant for a number of years a lot of spare time was spent on essays, reading German etc.

My church is twinned with another in Germany and every so often a few of us visit them or they come to us. The visit naturally includes attending the service and we generally participate in one way or another. On this particular visit we were having a planning meeting a few weeks before hand, sorting out travel plans etc. and our then minister said he had been asked to preach and would be doing it in German.  I remember being slightly surprised as I didn't know he spoke German. After all this time I'm hazy on the sequence of events, but either then or later he also said I would be translating his sermon into German. I can't remember why I didn't object. I think it was a combination of wondering whether I'd forgotten some conversation, not wanting to challenge what he was saying in a public meeting, being a bit flattered that my skills were needed and being so used to having German homework that it didn't seem too out of the ordinary.

The problem was I chased him for it several times and heard nothing. In the end I decided it wasn't coming, then about ten days before the visit he sent it to me. To say it was free flowing would be an understatement. It mays well have sounded good as the spoken word, but was not grammatical or in complete sentences and some parts didn't make sense to me. I struggled with it then turned to my then sister in law, who is German, for help. She very kindly took it on, but it meant I wasn't able to hand it to him until we were travelling. (He didn't have email then). He'd been chasing me for it and if it wasn't that I'd have been letting the whole group down I would have said he would have to do without.

As it was, he'd have been better doing it in English. He had no idea how to read it in a way that made sense, so leaving both the English and German speakers in the congregation in the dark.

mime

« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
    • Asking for lessons: I make chocolate from the beans. Nobody has asked for lessons, but I think I would welcome it! I'd love for a batch to become a two-person job (the mixer is pretty heavy), and I'd like to share the hobby with someone else. Unfortunately if I had to say "pack a bag, come over on Friday evening, and we'll be done sometime Sunday night" I think they'd be scared off. That time commitment could be a really good deterrent if you want to discourage someone from asking, though.

If I were anywhere near you, I would take you up on that offer so fast! That sounds like an amazing activity. Would you mind sharing some of the process or good links? I am curious![/list]

Love to!!! I'll PM some info in the next day or two!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
    « Reply #205 on: June 28, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
    Similar, a friend of mine once donated a homemade quilt to a charity auction that ended up going for $80. She's vowed never to donate another… she spent more on material and batting than that.

My mom had that experience.

When she first moved to our town, there was a bake sale. So she made a really fancy cake. When she dropped it off, she told the people, "Now there's almonds and whatever else, so that cake should be priced at about $10." The ladies said, "oh, nobody ever pays *that* much for a cake," and slapped a $5 tag on it. My mom handed them the $5 and took the cake home, and vowed never again to splurge for a bake sale.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
    « Reply #206 on: June 28, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
    Some years ago, I was asked to donate a hand-made quilt to a charity auction. The bidding was fast and furious and the final price was about $500. A man came up and expressed to me his disappointment in not winning the bidding and asked if I would make him a duplicate quilt. Sure, I said. My fee would be $375. That fee would compensate for materials and my time at $20/hour.

He refused, aghast and horrified that I would "dare" to charge "that much" for a craft.  I pointed out that he pays the plumber or mechanic $100 an hour, so $20 an hour is hardly presumptuous. "But, but... plumbers and mechanics are skilled technicians working. And you just make quilts."

Whereas, I had a friend who had the opposite problem. She quilted for a living. She HATED with a passion Double Wedding Band quilts. She wanted people to stop asking for them, so every time she was asked, she'd raise the price. She was up to $1100, this was 20 years ago, and people still ordered them.

Sounds like the Pain In The Asterisk surcharge (PITA) still had to be raised.

I read a post on a sewing business mailing list - the woman had certain customers that were NOT worth her usual charges.  She raised ALL her fees the next year and added a special surcharge for "rush" jobs - the kind where the person has the outfit for months but brings it to the seamstress for hemming, repairs, or alternations just days before the event where they NEED it (say, the MOB has everything ready except her own dress, but "she's going to loose weight", doesn't, and brings it in two days before the wedding - PITA added).

She said that the customers could still be a pain to work with - but knowing that the hours spent on their jobs made her at least double (or triple) what the same time spent on someone else's job was a stress reducer, in many ways. Not that it made it "fun" - but apparently her inner Snark liked the idea of being paid double or triple time for working overtime with "that customer".

And she'd know that she wasn't being taken advantage of.
    Also, when you do a tough job, you should get more money for it, right?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
    • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
    « Reply #207 on: June 28, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
    We used to have bake sales with our Cub Scout group, and cupcakes went for $1 each. I can make two dozen cupcakes for $5, then get $24 for my charity? Yes! Butter, chocolate, good dairy, etc is expensive!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
    « Reply #208 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
    This thread has reminded me of something from several years ago.
    By way of background I learnt German at evening classes, eventually getting to the level of passing a number of the modules of the Institute of Linguists Diploma [sadly not the final module as I couldn't find a teacher]. This meant for a number of years a lot of spare time was spent on essays, reading German etc.

My church is twinned with another in Germany and every so often a few of us visit them or they come to us. The visit naturally includes attending the service and we generally participate in one way or another. On this particular visit we were having a planning meeting a few weeks before hand, sorting out travel plans etc. and our then minister said he had been asked to preach and would be doing it in German.  I remember being slightly surprised as I didn't know he spoke German. After all this time I'm hazy on the sequence of events, but either then or later he also said I would be translating his sermon into German. I can't remember why I didn't object. I think it was a combination of wondering whether I'd forgotten some conversation, not wanting to challenge what he was saying in a public meeting, being a bit flattered that my skills were needed and being so used to having German homework that it didn't seem too out of the ordinary.

The problem was I chased him for it several times and heard nothing. In the end I decided it wasn't coming, then about ten days before the visit he sent it to me. To say it was free flowing would be an understatement. It mays well have sounded good as the spoken word, but was not grammatical or in complete sentences and some parts didn't make sense to me. I struggled with it then turned to my then sister in law, who is German, for help. She very kindly took it on, but it meant I wasn't able to hand it to him until we were travelling. (He didn't have email then). He'd been chasing me for it and if it wasn't that I'd have been letting the whole group down I would have said he would have to do without.

As it was, he'd have been better doing it in English. He had no idea how to read it in a way that made sense, so leaving both the English and German speakers in the congregation in the dark.

It would have made a lot more sense for him to have you *read* it to the German audience, as well!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »

Sounds like a kit I received from a survey panel / promotional team. One item in it was a CD of a woman sing-shouting a song in Spanish. You could tell she was just flat reading the words across a page and had no idea what they meant. I was too embarrassed to pass out the CD like I had promised to  :P