Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 187231 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
Similar, a friend of mine once donated a homemade quilt to a charity auction that ended up going for $80. She's vowed never to donate another… she spent more on material and batting than that.

My mom had that experience.

When she first moved to our town, there was a bake sale. So she made a really fancy cake. When she dropped it off, she told the people, "Now there's almonds and whatever else, so that cake should be priced at about $10." The ladies said, "oh, nobody ever pays *that* much for a cake," and slapped a $5 tag on it. My mom handed them the $5 and took the cake home, and vowed never again to splurge for a bake sale.

I've made things to donate from fabric bought on sale at $15 a yard (full price would have been $25 or higher - tapestry).  I made one from a pattern (the president of the group was the first bidder and made LOUD comments about hoping that she won because she LOVED the tapestry design - it was related to a "hobby" - golf, music, or wine - I forget which fabric I used).  Nobody bid against her....she got it for less than the cost of the fabric.

A tote bag designed to be used for needlework (knitting, crochet, or embroidery) combined denim and a quilt patch reproduced in tapestry (Cathedral Windows) - it sold for less than a similar item would have been priced at if it had been in a fabric store - but not a whole lot less (think 75% of retail instead of 25% of retail on the purse in the earlier paragraph).  The buyer was telling me how thrilled she was to have it because it was her favorite quilt pattern (and the only "quilt" made without batting - photos http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Cathedral+Window+Quilt&id=6834BFCF5AB526B08B348A1269C838A70A6033E9&FORM=IQFRBA - this is sometimes called a "summer quilt" because there is no batting used to make them.

Okay - there are two ways to do the quilt design - one is cutting circles of fabric and sewing them together, finishing (or not) the bias edges, and turning them down over the squares of fabric filling in the center - if you used batting under the squares - it might be a bit warmer, but there could be gaps due to the batting being cut in squares and not in the seams.

The other way involves cutting squares, sewing them into smaller squares in a way that leaves the edges as bias, sewing the squares into a backing, turning back the corner flaps so that they have bias edges and then turning them back to sew down by hand to form the ovals while putting fabric in the openings. I've seen the center squares filled and I've seen the ovals filled (cross shapes result instead of four pointed stars). 

The tapestry was a lot simpler to work with.....and the right shade of blue that denim looked really nice with it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:55:18 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
I'm currently making my first commission piece.  It's a crocheted baby blanket in a sort of spiderweb pattern.

The young lady who requested it is a stranger.  Housemate came home from the local craft shop with her info and the request to commission.  Anyway, I called her (I'm happy to crochet anything, it keeps my hands busy when watching the idjit box) and she told me a fairly sad story.  When she was a baby, she had a crocheted baby blanket in a spiderweb pattern.  Her and her mother no longer speak, and Mum refused point blank to give her the blanket when she had her own first baby.  She's been trying ever since to get one, and is now pregnant with #2.  First 'baby' is now 6!  So the poor lass has been trying for over 6 years to find somebody to do a fairly quick and simple project for her.

Anyway, I offered to do the job, if she purchased the wool.  She asks how much to do the work.  Heck, I'd do it for nothing, I've done enough blankets to cover half of my town.  No, she insists, she wants to pay me.  I rattle off a nominal amount ($30), she agrees. 

I work fulltime, on an hourly rate that is pretty darn good.  I couldn't, in all conscience, charge that hourly rate for something I do as a hobby.  If I was doing it for a living, yeah, I'd charge more.  Even so, I still have no real idea how much is a reasonable rate...

Anyway, I now have the wool, and the blanket is about 1/3 done.  She purchased the most amazingly soft machine-washable baby merino wool, it's a pleasure to work with, and so far it looks brilliant!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
I'm currently making my first commission piece.  It's a crocheted baby blanket in a sort of spiderweb pattern.

The young lady who requested it is a stranger.  Housemate came home from the local craft shop with her info and the request to commission.  Anyway, I called her (I'm happy to crochet anything, it keeps my hands busy when watching the idjit box) and she told me a fairly sad story.  When she was a baby, she had a crocheted baby blanket in a spiderweb pattern.  Her and her mother no longer speak, and Mum refused point blank to give her the blanket when she had her own first baby.  She's been trying ever since to get one, and is now pregnant with #2.  First 'baby' is now 6!  So the poor lass has been trying for over 6 years to find somebody to do a fairly quick and simple project for her.

Anyway, I offered to do the job, if she purchased the wool.  She asks how much to do the work.  Heck, I'd do it for nothing, I've done enough blankets to cover half of my town.  No, she insists, she wants to pay me.  I rattle off a nominal amount ($30), she agrees. 

I work fulltime, on an hourly rate that is pretty darn good.  I couldn't, in all conscience, charge that hourly rate for something I do as a hobby.  If I was doing it for a living, yeah, I'd charge more.  Even so, I still have no real idea how much is a reasonable rate...

Anyway, I now have the wool, and the blanket is about 1/3 done.  She purchased the most amazingly soft machine-washable baby merino wool, it's a pleasure to work with, and so far it looks brilliant!

Do you have the pattern?  I've been looking for a good spiderweb pattern for a couple of years now

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »
Some years ago, I was asked to donate a hand-made quilt to a charity auction. The bidding was fast and furious and the final price was about $500. A man came up and expressed to me his disappointment in not winning the bidding and asked if I would make him a duplicate quilt. Sure, I said. My fee would be $375. That fee would compensate for materials and my time at $20/hour.

He refused, aghast and horrified that I would "dare" to charge "that much" for a craft.  I pointed out that he pays the plumber or mechanic $100 an hour, so $20 an hour is hardly presumptuous. "But, but... plumbers and mechanics are skilled technicians working. And you just make quilts."

He said that after seeing the original sell for $500? The nerve!

In general, if I am approached at an auction, I will ask for the maximum bid as a price (but I will accept something just below it as a counteroffer). I just don't think it is fair to the highest bidder to sell the same thing, at the same event, for less. I donate anything above time and material to the charity holding the auction.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
Similar, a friend of mine once donated a homemade quilt to a charity auction that ended up going for $80. She's vowed never to donate another… she spent more on material and batting than that.

My Mother, rest her soul, was asked to donate an afghan to be raffled off at  the church Christmas Fair.  She was very proud of this fact (and her work was first rate) and she bought some very pricey yarns with which to make it.  During the Fair, we went to see how the raffle was going.  To our surprise, instead of the lacy, fluffy white snow flake pattern with delicate ribbon rainbows intertwined in it afghan that Mom made, there was a (I'm sorry but it's true) brown and beige afghan with soiled bits and torn edges up instead. 

Mom searched around to ask if her afghan has been sold.  No one knew anything except that the person whose afghan was up for the raffle was a friend of the chairman of the fair committee.  Mom searched around in the knitted and crochet goods section until she found her afghan, folded into a tight bundle and buried under a bunch of used goods with a price tag of ten dollars on it.  Since the time and materials had cost well over one hundred, Mom took the bundle, sought out one of the other coordinators and told them in no uncertain terms that the afghan was not going to be sold at all and if her work had so little value to them, they could fry ice. 

It wasn't until months later Mom heard through the grapevine that a) event coordinator had hidden Mom's afghan on purpose with the plan of buying it herself for ten dollars and b) they made very very little on their afghan raffle because no one wanted that hideous brown on beige combo.

Mom refused to make anything when requested again.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
I've done this one as a queen size bed throw:

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/crochet-afghan-patterns/7-point-star-throw  The colours in this one don't appeal to me, but mine came out good.  I stretched it out to a 63 point star, it looked very webby.

This is the one I'm doing now, in cream only.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/13574-12-point-star-baby-afghan/

Cami

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2013, 08:23:03 AM »
Some years ago, I was asked to donate a hand-made quilt to a charity auction. The bidding was fast and furious and the final price was about $500. A man came up and expressed to me his disappointment in not winning the bidding and asked if I would make him a duplicate quilt. Sure, I said. My fee would be $375. That fee would compensate for materials and my time at $20/hour.

He refused, aghast and horrified that I would "dare" to charge "that much" for a craft.  I pointed out that he pays the plumber or mechanic $100 an hour, so $20 an hour is hardly presumptuous. "But, but... plumbers and mechanics are skilled technicians working. And you just make quilts."

He said that after seeing the original sell for $500? The nerve!

I forgot to say that I then responded to him, "Well, if quilting of that quality is so easy to do, then I suggest you learn how to do it yourself and make your own quilt."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
I'm a baker.  I donated a gingerbread Christmas tree to be made just before Christmas to my Mom's church's silent auction.  A friend of hers really wanted it but she got outbid at the last minute.  So I called her to let her know that she didn't win but if she was willing to pay the winning bid, I'd make her one, too.  I had to make two trees but the church got double the money.   :)

Yarnspinner, that was appalling.  I don't blame your mother one bit!  I'd be right pissed, too, if someone did that to my work.

I donated a patchwork sampler afghan to my friend's church auction.  They didn't do a silent auction because people were in and out, not sticking around for any significant amount of time; it was a submit your best bid and hope you were the highest at the end of the day.  The afghan didn't get the amount I'd have liked but since it was made with odds and ends of yarn, I wasn't too upset. 

(It's a great pattern to use up bits and pieces - 63 different 7X7" crocheted squares, supposed to be done in 3 different colours, with one of the colours also being the colour to bind it all together.  I group my odds and ends into colour groups and used 3 colour groups, combining it all with a neutral beige.  I've done one in white, grey and black, one in red, yellow and blue, one in orange, purple and green (it looked good!  Honest!) and a couple more that I don't remember the combinations.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
Quote from: TootsNYC on Yesterday at 05:17:11 PM

Quote from: stitchygreyanonymouse on Yesterday at 01:43:43 PM

My mom had that experience.

When she first moved to our town, there was a bake sale. So she made a really fancy cake. When she dropped it off, she told the people, "Now there's almonds and whatever else, so that cake should be priced at about $10." The ladies said, "oh, nobody ever pays *that* much for a cake," and slapped a $5 tag on it. My mom handed them the $5 and took the cake home, and vowed never again to splurge for a bake sale.

Ugh too.  I went through a spell of hand making Angry Birds for my sons.  I made two red birds for A's school's online auction.  They sold for $7 each.  Never again.

I loved making those birds and only got a few "hints" from my nieces and nephews so they each got one for Christmas.  The rest were for my own children.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

CakeBeret

« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
I do cakes, and my loved ones usually get a cake for their birthdays. Sometimes I ask their preferences, sometimes I surprise them. Thankfully I don't get any greedy requests.

However, I'm moderately technically proficient, and apparently people think that that means I'll solve any tech issue. For free. I get sooo many annoying requests--and often it's something I don't even know how to do!

Some examples:
-We don't have an IT department at work and the owner is a technophobe. I do what I can and they generally respect that. A couple years ago the owner upgraded to an Android smartphone, and I set up her phone (preferences, apps, notifications, etc) because it was easier to just do it all myself. A few weeks later we were at an unrelated party (boss is a family friend) and Random Relative said that she just got a new Android phone and didn't know what to do with it. Boss immediately chimed in "Oh, just give it to Cake and she'll do all the setup and install the apps for you and teach you how to use it." She volunteered my service to three other people before the evening was out. Of course nobody wanted to pay for such a thing, and I flatly refused to do it for free.

-My father is elderly and well-intentioned, and very religious. He asked me to set up a religious website for him, and though I know absolutely zero about that, I agreed. I spent probably 20 hours getting it set up, and then he started handing me hand-written articles that he wanted me to put up on his site. Then he kept wanting me to create new pages, put up more and more articles, and do things that frankly I haven't the first clue how to do. Finally I told him that he needed to hire someone to manage the website for him. He asked how much the company I work for spends on website support, and I told him it was $xxx per month. To say he was shocked and appalled was an understatement. Finally he stopped asking me.

-My mother likes to upload photos to RiteAid to have them printed. I showed her how to do it, and all was well. One day I got a call at work that RiteAid had completely changed the photo upload site, and Mom wanted me to walk her through it. Over the phone. While I was at work. She does things like this a lot. I'm a visual person, I absolutely cannot walk you through something unless I can see it myself.

-Mom works from home and does a lot of printing. At last count she had 4 different printers, a desktop, two laptops, and two tablets. She was having trouble with her network, her wireless internet, and also with the printers. So she decided that everything needed to be re-set-up from scratch. She demanded that I come over to uninstall everything, set up the network, configure her wireless connection, install all 4 printers to each computer, and oh yes, find an app for her tablets that would let her print from the tablets. And figure out why the duplex printing function wasn't working on her printer. OH HECK NO.

I should point out that I HATE PRINTERS. They are the most confounded, finicky, dang-blasted pieces of technology I have ever had the misfortune of working with. I avoid messing them whenever possible.

On a positive note, the last time I was at my tattoo artist's shop, he couldn't get his printer to work and asked if any of us knew anything about printers. I wasn't getting any work done (husband and cousin were) so I volunteered to look at it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software and then it worked just fine. I didn't mind because he didn't demand it, and he always gives us a significant discount on our tattoos.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »
I've given up making jam for fundraiser sales because I got so sick of seeing something I've spent time and money on go for less than the cost of the fruit (never mind the sugar as well) and also for less than you'd pay for mass produced jam in the supermarket. The same goes for cakes. 20p is not a reasonable amount for a cupcake.

I'm also cautious about sending any nice display equipment after my nice 3 tier cake stand nearly ended up either binned or sent to a charity shop at the end of one after I loaned it on the strict condition it had to be taken care of and returned to me.
NE England

MummySweet

« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
I'm also cautious about sending any nice display equipment after my nice 3 tier cake stand nearly ended up either binned or sent to a charity shop at the end of one after I loaned it on the strict condition it had to be taken care of and returned to me.

Arrgh!  This reminded me of an event a few years ago.  I made 150 cupcakes and a centerpiece cake for a cub scout banquet.  My husband was  the Cubmaster and this was our contribution.  I used a very expensive multi-tiered stand that I had and it all made a very striking display, (totally unappreciated by our hoard of little boys  ::)   ) .  The next day I received a call from one of the other mothers informing me that she had told a friend of hers that I had this stand and she was sure I would be happy to lend it out!   No, no, no.  The only thing I was happy to do was give her the name of the  company I had special ordered it from for 150gbp.   I later heard from friends that this woman told several people that " while Cubmaster is terrific, his wife doesn't have a generous spirit."

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
I later heard from friends that this woman told several people that " while Cubmaster is terrific, his wife doesn't have a generous spirit."

Rude word about the nasty lady!

I just made a cake pop holder from polystyrene chams. The cost of the polystyrene alone was £20. I was pleased when someone who was saying I should do this professionally said that she thought people would pay £2 a cake pop. That was really nice to hear because I had done 80 for a friend's wedding. I'd like to think people thought they had £160 cake display available rather than something a friend threw together.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »

Arrgh!  This reminded me of an event a few years ago.  I made 150 cupcakes and a centerpiece cake for a cub scout banquet.  My husband was  the Cubmaster and this was our contribution.  I used a very expensive multi-tiered stand that I had and it all made a very striking display, (totally unappreciated by our hoard of little boys  ::)   ) .  The next day I received a call from one of the other mothers informing me that she had told a friend of hers that I had this stand and she was sure I would be happy to lend it out!   No, no, no.  The only thing I was happy to do was give her the name of the  company I had special ordered it from for 150gbp.   I later heard from friends that this woman told several people that " while Cubmaster is terrific, his wife doesn't have a generous spirit."

VorGuy is a teacher.  To save rental fees (school budgets keep getting cut) for items needed for the end of the semester awards banquets, he "loans" some of our stuff (punch bowls & cups, cake server, and the like) and buys cheap chafing dishes (disposable) instead of renting them.  As long as they are kept filled with water - the aluminum is FINE.

I've had punch cups broken (got in too much of a hurry to fold away tables for dancing to clear them FIRST), cake servers and other plastic utensils tossed (which is why they come from the dollar store and I run them through the dishwasher & place them in zipped plastic bags until they are needed again),  and clean the various aluminum pans while checking for burnt pans...."crystal" and "silver" trays of plastic from the dollar store get used instead of the real thing. 

I made quilt fabric slipcovers for the big plastic containers that usually have water or Gatorade in them at events - so that they are all dressed up at the banquet.  Those get washed and reused every time, too.

My chafing dishes (glass) don't get sent to the banquet.  My good metal serving pieces (dishes or utensils) stay home, too. 

Anyone who thinks that I should "loan" good stuff to the school gets told how half my punch cups from one set got busted and how my first punch bowl set (from college) came back cracked - then had the bottom fall out the next time it was loaned out.  I'm not paranoid - I've lost stuff.

I don't cook, either, at most I thaw frozen cream puffs from the store for serving....teenagers are more interested in how much food there is at a dinner - not how expensive it is.....and I'd like to have time to eat and dance, too!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

amylouky

« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2013, 02:56:37 PM »
I think that sometimes we forget that with handmade gifts, the love is a huge part of the value. :) For example.. I've crocheted a few hats and scarves, and made several other crafty gifts in the past. I made a hat for my niece that took probably about 15 hours.. with materials and even $10 an hour, then the "value" would be $150?  I don't know anyone who would pay $150 for a crocheted hat, and I don't blame them. Doesn't mean they don't value the work involved, but they're just looking to buy a hat, kwim? But the gift to my niece included the monetary value of the hat PLUS the love and care that went in to taking the time to make it, which is hard to put a price on.
Which is why I don't make things for sale.. just for people that I love.