Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 127206 times)

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
Anyone who thinks that I should "loan" good stuff to the school gets told how half my punch cups from one set got busted and how my first punch bowl set (from college) came back cracked - then had the bottom fall out the next time it was loaned out.  I'm not paranoid - I've lost stuff.

I no longer loan anything at school that I've paid for myself, because I've had nothing but bad experiences that way.  A couple incidents I recall --

- Loaned an autographed book to another teacher, on condition that she return it by the end of May, so I could use it over the summer.  In May, she told me she couldn't find it and would "get around to looking for it" eventually.  I finally got it back in September.  (At least she found it!)

- Loaned a set of protractors to another teacher, on condition that they be returned to their plastic sleeves after each use.  (I spent a bit extra to get large ones in sleeves, to prevent them from being scratched up.  Scratches make it even harder for my special ed students to read them, and every little advantage helps.)  The protractors were returned to me, stacked and rubber banded together, and not in the sleeves.

- I even had one staff person go through my supplies -- without asking first -- to find poster paper for her daughter's project.

I don't mind lending/donating supplies that the school pays for, but I tend to pay for just about all of my classroom supplies myself, as our department budget is not very large.  Many of my special ed students come from low-income families, so I pay for our everyday classroom supplies.  That way, everybody has the "good stuff," nobody is embarrassed, and parents don't have to struggle to buy what I can easily afford.  (Not to mention the teacher tax credit, which I get and parents don't!)  This makes me very reluctant to lend supplies and equipment that people will not replace or take care of.

Cami

« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »
I think that sometimes we forget that with handmade gifts, the love is a huge part of the value. :) For example.. I've crocheted a few hats and scarves, and made several other crafty gifts in the past. I made a hat for my niece that took probably about 15 hours.. with materials and even $10 an hour, then the "value" would be $150?  I don't know anyone who would pay $150 for a crocheted hat, and I don't blame them. Doesn't mean they don't value the work involved, but they're just looking to buy a hat, kwim? But the gift to my niece included the monetary value of the hat PLUS the love and care that went in to taking the time to make it, which is hard to put a price on.
Which is why I don't make things for sale.. just for people that I love.
It depends on why you're making it. When I make quilts or do alterations on bridal gowns, I'm not doing it for the love of it or of the person. I'm a professional and I'm selling goods and services and I'll charge a fee that reflects my training and experience.

It's like when I worked in a bridal salon and a bridesmaid would balk at the $30 hem fee. "But Grandma would do it for free!" To which I'd reply, "Then, here. Take your gown and go have Grandma do it for you."

I'm not my customer's grandma or aunt or sister. I'm a service/goods provider and I'll charge a fee that provides a living wage for it. Just like plumbers and mechanics do. The difference I've encountered is that people see technical expertise that is traditionally held by women as somehow less worthy of spending money than that held by men. I won't play that misogynistic game.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:14:43 PM by Cami »

z_squared82

« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
Some years ago, I was asked to donate a hand-made quilt to a charity auction. The bidding was fast and furious and the final price was about $500. A man came up and expressed to me his disappointment in not winning the bidding and asked if I would make him a duplicate quilt. Sure, I said. My fee would be $375. That fee would compensate for materials and my time at $20/hour.

He refused, aghast and horrified that I would "dare" to charge "that much" for a craft.  I pointed out that he pays the plumber or mechanic $100 an hour, so $20 an hour is hardly presumptuous. "But, but... plumbers and mechanics are skilled technicians working. And you just make quilts."

He said that after seeing the original sell for $500? The nerve!

I forgot to say that I then responded to him, "Well, if quilting of that quality is so easy to do, then I suggest you learn how to do it yourself and make your own quilt."

Ditto.

z_squared82

« Reply #228 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
I think that sometimes we forget that with handmade gifts, the love is a huge part of the value. :) For example.. I've crocheted a few hats and scarves, and made several other crafty gifts in the past. I made a hat for my niece that took probably about 15 hours.. with materials and even $10 an hour, then the "value" would be $150?  I don't know anyone who would pay $150 for a crocheted hat, and I don't blame them. Doesn't mean they don't value the work involved, but they're just looking to buy a hat, kwim? But the gift to my niece included the monetary value of the hat PLUS the love and care that went in to taking the time to make it, which is hard to put a price on.
It depends on why you're making it. When I make quilts or do alterations on bridal gowns, I'm not doing it for the love of it or of the person. I'm a professional and I'm selling goods and services and I'll charge a fee that reflects my training and experience.

It's like when I worked in a bridal salon and a bridesmaid would balk at the $30 hem fee. "But Grandma would do it for free!" To which I'd reply, "Then, here. Take your gown and go have Grandma do it for you."

I'm not my customer's grandma or aunt or sister. I'm a service/goods provider and I'll charge a fee that provides a living wage for it. Just like plumbers and mechanics do. The difference I've encountered is that people see technical expertise that is traditionally held by women as somehow less worthy of spending money than that held by men. I won't play that misogynistic game.

My mother is the only seamstress to come out of her family. None of the aunts who married in are as good as she. So when they or any of their daughters (b/c out of 20-something grandchildren, there are only 4 boys) needed something mended or altered, they'd come to Mom. (Sometimes, it was even just having someone pin it so they could sew it.) Mom never charged, but she did show the aunts and the neices exactly what she was doing so they could do it themselves the next time. I've never seen any of my cousins come back twice for the same issue.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
This thread reminds me of a story I read in a magazine.  This couple were at a craft show and at one booth, they snarked about how they could make the same things.  Until they saw a sign that reads "Sure you can make it.  But will you?"

snowflake

« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

I think that's the point.  When I make hats, it's not just so people can have a hat.  It so they can have some thing original that doesn't have the look of coming off a knitting machine in a third-world nation.  I'm currently making a tam-o-shanter with infinity cables on the top.  It's going to take me six hours (but ONLY because I have done this before.  The first one was 6 hours plus 20 hours of swearing when I kept messing it up.)  Someday they'll make a machine that can do that, but not right now.  Also, I can measure to fit and make my kids stuff that won't fall off. 

If you just want a hat, you can buy one at Walmart.  It's a little annoying when people want you to recreate infinity cables and then insist that it's a 5.99 hat.  Nope.  If you just want a cheap hat, you don't get infinity cables!   

nuit93

« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
This thread reminds me of a story I read in a magazine.  This couple were at a craft show and at one booth, they snarked about how they could make the same things.  Until they saw a sign that reads "Sure you can make it.  But will you?"

Love it!

Chip2

« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »

I've been to a couple of craft shows where the woodworking items were of lower quality than stuff I could make (and in some cases had made) on my own, but I always keep those opinions to myself. I'd rather the crafter keep working and get better than get discouraged and give up.

But I do have this dilemma at grocery stores. I see cookies that look good but immediately think, "I can make better at home myself," and don't buy the goodies. And I can make better at home, but I rarely do, but I guess I'm better off that way because it keeps my weight under control.  ::) 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »

Another true story remembered from a mailing list.

To paraphrase, the poster had a booth at a craft show.  Cheap Customer kept looking at something and decided NOT to buy it but to get her friend, Betty, to look at it so Betty could make her one for just the cost of materials, because Betty was crafty.

Next year, Cheap Customer came back (when the woman spent hours every day for three days hanging around her booth, handling things but not buying them - the poster recognized her).

She dragged Betty over to look at something that she wanted for "just the cost of materials" again.

Betty told her in no uncertain terms to BUY herself the danged thing already, it had taken Betty three attempts at several hours each to get ONE good enough for Cheap Customer to actually pay her for the materials and she still had the other two sitting in her craft room, because she was trying to decide what to do with them.....and Betty was not going to make any more things for Cheap Customer.  It was too much work!

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

lilfox

« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »

I have seen this sign at a few craft booths over the years.   :)  I think my mom needs to carry one with her to remind herself that while she is crafty and talented and could actually make the thing herself, she will just end up investing money in the materials, try it a few times, maybe get one or two good results, and then move on to the next thing that catches her eye.  It will never be her calling to do one craft full-time (hers is the home of a million WIPs), regardless of her initial enthusiasm.

She once talked me into buying three pretty but simple padded quilt squares with a ribbon design with the hopes that I would recreate these myself for upcoming holiday gifts.  10 years later, I still have those quilt squares and have never been inspired to make new ones.  I wouldn't make one-to-one duplicates at any rate, when it comes to crafting I think inspiration is one thing but imitation is not flattering at all.

That said, I'm much more likely to buy a craft that I know I could never master (e.g. jewelry with intricate wire work) than something I could make myself (any simple knit item), even if I never did.

cwm

« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
That said, I'm much more likely to buy a craft that I know I could never master (e.g. jewelry with intricate wire work) than something I could make myself (any simple knit item), even if I never did.

POD to this. I don't have the time, money, or steady hands required to do jewelry work. I've seen those jewelry saws, I'm more likely to lose bits and bobs of myself than make anything worthwhile. I tried setting up a beadworking studio, but I don't have a kiln to anneal the beads, so I couldn't sell them if I wanted to, and they're not that great to begin with. I don't have the time to go out to where my studio is and practice. If I see some really neat lampwork beads and I want to use them for something, I'm much more likely to buy them than try to recreate them, it'll only end badly for me.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »

I've bought things I could probably make, if I really wanted to, but honestly with some stuff I'd rather pay someone else to do it for me. I've bought jewelry before from other metalsmiths because I like their style. I'd rather pay the original artist than replicate it.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
This thread has inspired me to have a go at quiting.

I will let you know in a week or so if I am grateful for that inspiration.   >:D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »

I will let you know in a week or so if I am grateful for that inspiration.   >:D

I think you are missing an 'L'.  That's one heckuva Freudian slip.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TeamBhakta

« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »

Sure you can quit. But will you ?

>:D