Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 248485 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »
This thread has inspired me to have a go at quiting.

I will let you know in a week or so if I am grateful for that inspiration.   >:D

Sure you can quit. But will you ?

>:D

Just woke DH up with my laughing.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2013, 07:54:55 AM »
This thread has inspired me to have a go at quiting.

I will let you know in a week or so if I am grateful for that inspiration.   >:D

Sure you can quit. But will you ?

>:D

*high fives* nice one!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
My mom is very talented at crafts, and when I was a kid, she would sometimes go to craft shows and see something she liked, and buy one of them.  Then she'd made a whole bunch to pass out at work, or have my Girl Scout troop make as a craft, things like that.  She did always buy one, though, both to give her a model and to pay the craft for her work.  These would always be simple, basic things, though, like a wooden spool reindeer, or a little felt Christmas tree ornament, or whatever.  Not things like quilts!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2013, 10:11:41 AM »
A problem I see is that some people hear the word 'crafts' and automatically think of elbow macaroni and Elmer's Glue-All.  They don't take the 'Arts & Crafts' movement into consideration.

Years ago, the museum showed a gorgeous installation of glass work designed by Dale Chiluly.  You wouldn't believe the flack it got from some segments of the museum community. 

'That isn't art!  It doesn't have a message!  It's just craft!'

True, there was no political or social comment in the installation but everyone who walked through the front door smiled when they saw it.  Isn't that a good enough message to send? 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
A problem I see is that some people hear the word 'crafts' and automatically think of elbow macaroni and Elmer's Glue-All.  They don't take the 'Arts & Crafts' movement into consideration.

Years ago, the museum showed a gorgeous installation of glass work designed by Dale Chiluly.  You wouldn't believe the flack it got from some segments of the museum community. 

True, there was no political or social comment in the installation but everyone who walked through the front door smiled when they saw it.  Isn't that a good enough message to send?

I just saw one of his exhibits in Richmond in Dec. All I can say is WOW!  I'm just sorry I took the "no camera" rule so seriously; apparently you could take them, if you didn't use a flash. I was floored; his stuff is so amazing, and it IS most certainly art!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »

My response to that:
    Calvin: People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
    Hobbes: You misspelled Weltanschauung.

I absolutely despise people who think that something isn't "art," unless it's fraught with deep meaning. As Calvin says, it's just a way for them to congratulate themselves on their supposed superiority.

The irony is that even the most beautiful paintings in the world require far more of what these people would call "craft" than "art." The Mona Lisa wouldn't be nearly as beautiful if Davinci hadn't mastered the craft of painting. Someone can have the most wonderful ideas, full of meaning, but if they lack the craft, those ideas will never see the light of day.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »

My response to that:
    Calvin: People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.

I absolutely despise people who think that something isn't "art," unless it's fraught with deep meaning. As Calvin says, it's just a way for them to congratulate themselves on their supposed superiority.
And a way for the "artist" to make big bucks from people who are so gullible that they (pretend to?) see "deep meaning" in a totally white canvas with a tiny blue dot in one corner.  Emperor's New Clothes, anyone?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »

My response to that:

The irony is that even the most beautiful paintings in the world require far more of what these people would call "craft" than "art." The Mona Lisa wouldn't be nearly as beautiful if Davinci hadn't mastered the craft of painting. Someone can have the most wonderful ideas, full of meaning, but if they lack the craft, those ideas will never see the light of day.

Heh..I enjoy painting quite a bit. The thing is, often times my drawings/paintings mean absolutely nothing. Oh, they might represent a feeling I had while painting them, but meaning? None, really, except for me just liking what I was doing and enjoying myself while doing it. These same feelings are present when I'm doing a "craft" thing like making jewelry.

I had a friend once who was driven crazy by that. She'd look at my art and assign all of this deep meaning to it, and I'd just shrug and say "well, if that's what you take away from it, fine..but really, it doesn't mean anything at all. I just liked that shade of purple."

Hillia

« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
There's an old Peanuts cartoon (from the 60's maybe?)...Charlie Brown is admiring a picture of a man that Linus has just drawn.

CB: "I notice that you've drawn the man with his hands in his pockets.  This means that you, yourself, have deep feelings of inferiority"
Linus, annoyed: "No, it means that I, myself, can't draw hands!"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
I'm kind of a literal person and have a hard time with hidden meanings.  I once wrote a poem for a school assignment.  The poem was straight forward and all text, no subtext.  For example, if I wrote "the dog dug a hole" or "it rained yesterday" then that's what I meant.  A fellow student read it and went on and on about the symbolism and imagery and all that good stuff.  I was impressed; I had no idea I was so deep ;).

snowflake

« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

Now hold on.  I've seen lots of people with no craft and big ideas.  Though most of the time they're very bitter that no one sees the art in their craftless works.   ;)  (This is not to mock modern art in general. I have seen lots of gorgeous modern/abstract art made by talented, dedicated artists.  Just some modern art that is filling up the corners of basement apartments of some bitter, bitter people.)

I've had people tell me that my crafting is full of freedom and depth.  I was raised by two people who call themselves "deep," "free spirited" and "have an artistic temperament."  Sometimes they really are.  But 75% of the time that was their way of justifying their trainwreck behavior.  My crafting is all about praising the straight-laced, narrow-minded, type-A, no-fun lifestyle. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
And I tend to be the other way around.  I can sew very well, and so many people say that I'm 'creative', but honestly, I'm a mechanic.  I can follow a pattern. I can pick out a cool fabric and follow a pattern. I can even, sometimes, come up with something from a picture.   But PLEASE, please don't ask me to design something with an offset hem, or off the shoulder, or even try to decide where to put a line of lace.  I simply can NOT make something from nothing.  It doesn't exist in my head.  I need directions and a pattern. 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »

My response to that:

Heh..I enjoy painting quite a bit. The thing is, often times my drawings/paintings mean absolutely nothing. Oh, they might represent a feeling I had while painting them, but meaning? None, really, except for me just liking what I was doing and enjoying myself while doing it. These same feelings are present when I'm doing a "craft" thing like making jewelry.

I had a friend once who was driven crazy by that. She'd look at my art and assign all of this deep meaning to it, and I'd just shrug and say "well, if that's what you take away from it, fine..but really, it doesn't mean anything at all. I just liked that shade of purple."

We had this discussion with an Art professor in college, and most art is exactly that.
"I'm Bored."
"I think circles are cool."
"I have a lot of purple paint to use up."

It is great when people see deep meaning in your art, but it is pretty random. Even if I purposely draw something that looks sad to me, someone else may see it as joyful.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

yokozbornak

« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
This discussion reminds me of a discussion we had in my high school English class.  We were analyzing a poem, and the teacher asked why we thought the poet used a certain word.  I answered that it was probably because it rhymed with the word above it, and she wasn't amused.  I wasn't actually trying to be a smart aleck.  I wrote lots of bad, angst-y poetry in high school and that's the exact reason I picked certain words!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
And I tend to be the other way around.  I can sew very well, and so many people say that I'm 'creative', but honestly, I'm a mechanic.  I can follow a pattern. I can pick out a cool fabric and follow a pattern. I can even, sometimes, come up with something from a picture.   But PLEASE, please don't ask me to design something with an offset hem, or off the shoulder, or even try to decide where to put a line of lace.  I simply can NOT make something from nothing.  It doesn't exist in my head.  I need directions and a pattern.

I can knit and crochet up a storm.  But give me a pattern to follow!  I can modify a pattern into something else but I can't just create from scratch.

I took the Wilton cake decorating courses almost 20 years ago, now.  I can still make flowers but I have to follow the book and putting the cakes together, I follow basic patterns outlined in the book.  Still can't make roses, though.  I'm all over the daisies and daffodils and primroses but plain, old roses?  Can't do them.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario