Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 248975 times)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
Saw this and had to add it.

Not always right Sewing The Seeds of Anger

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
I'm certainly not an artist, but I'm fortunate to be able to manage a few crafts that allow me to express my sense of color and balance, sometimes with good results.

I once gave a handmade item to a public figure I admired who had just been diagnosed with cancer.  He thanked me publicly and referred to it as a work of art.  I was thrilled.

I've heard it said that you're not an artist until somebody else calls you one.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

magician5

« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
This discussion reminds me of a discussion we had in my high school English class.  We were analyzing a poem, and the teacher asked why we thought the poet used a certain word.  I answered that it was probably because it rhymed with the word above it, and she wasn't amused.  I wasn't actually trying to be a smart aleck.  I wrote lots of bad, angst-y poetry in high school and that's the exact reason I picked certain words!

I remember "deep" discussions about the symbolism in the films of Ingmar Bergman, which I quit engaging in when I read an interview with Bergman himself in a film magazine. "What was the symbolism of using a white horse in that fabulous closing scene from THE SEVENTH SEAL?" Bergman replies that that's the color of horse that the rental guy had that day.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:41:59 AM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Yeah- my Dad was an Architect. He worked on the restoration of a mediaeval gateway and had to replace some stone carving which was so worn that he had to make up what should go in its place (there was no evidence about what was there originally)

Many years later he came across a learned article on the significance of a bunch of grapes carved on the gateway. A looong article all about symbolism in mediaeval carving.

He just thought that the grapes would look nice!  ;D
NE England

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
I was accidentally accused of being an "artistic rulebreaker" once. I took 2d art class in college for fun. We were given an assignment to create an image done only in black and white patterned paper. I was trying to make background, and ran out of the paper with the texture I wanted, so I borrowed my Roomie's computer, scanned my pattern and shrank it a bit, printed more, and pasted on my merry way. It looked a bit more dark gray than black (her printer was slightly low on ink), but it was pretty close, and I thought it looked nice. When it was turned in, I was pointed out in class for "subversively" using color against the instructions, and how much more life my picture had because I had selectively broken a rule. I had apparently also included a hidden window, which was also symbolic somehow...

As far as craft freebies, the only thing I do with any distinct skill is cross-stitch, and I have yet to have anyone demand I make them a cross-stitch kit they could certainly buy themselves. Maybe that's when I'll know that I've gotten skilled, when people start making unreasonable demands on me. :P
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

redsfan

« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »
And I tend to be the other way around.  I can sew very well, and so many people say that I'm 'creative', but honestly, I'm a mechanic.  I can follow a pattern. I can pick out a cool fabric and follow a pattern. I can even, sometimes, come up with something from a picture.   But PLEASE, please don't ask me to design something with an offset hem, or off the shoulder, or even try to decide where to put a line of lace.  I simply can NOT make something from nothing.  It doesn't exist in my head.  I need directions and a pattern.

I can knit and crochet up a storm.  But give me a pattern to follow!  I can modify a pattern into something else but I can't just create from scratch.

I took the Wilton cake decorating courses almost 20 years ago, now.  I can still make flowers but I have to follow the book and putting the cakes together, I follow basic patterns outlined in the book.  Still can't make roses, though.  I'm all over the daisies and daffodils and primroses but plain, old roses?  Can't do them.

Make your base bigger.  You cut it off anyways, so don't worry if you don't go to the bottom.  Then it's all turning the nail.

I decorate, and I can't begin to count how many times I'm asked to do a "simple" cake for someone.  When I tell them the costs associated, let alone my time, I hear "Well, that can be your gift" or "I can get it cheaper at whatever store!"  Yes, you can get it cheaper, so please do if that's your concern.  Drives me batty. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
And I tend to be the other way around.  I can sew very well, and so many people say that I'm 'creative', but honestly, I'm a mechanic.  I can follow a pattern. I can pick out a cool fabric and follow a pattern. I can even, sometimes, come up with something from a picture.   But PLEASE, please don't ask me to design something with an offset hem, or off the shoulder, or even try to decide where to put a line of lace.  I simply can NOT make something from nothing.  It doesn't exist in my head.  I need directions and a pattern. 

This is me with crocheting.  I get so many compliments on my scarves and shawls.  I just pick a pretty yarn and follow the pattern until it's done.  I absolutely cannot make anything without a pattern of some kind.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »

I can knit and crochet up a storm.  But give me a pattern to follow!  I can modify a pattern into something else but I can't just create from scratch.

I took the Wilton cake decorating courses almost 20 years ago, now.  I can still make flowers but I have to follow the book and putting the cakes together, I follow basic patterns outlined in the book.  Still can't make roses, though.  I'm all over the daisies and daffodils and primroses but plain, old roses?  Can't do them.

Make your base bigger.  You cut it off anyways, so don't worry if you don't go to the bottom.  Then it's all turning the nail.

I decorate, and I can't begin to count how many times I'm asked to do a "simple" cake for someone.  When I tell them the costs associated, let alone my time, I hear "Well, that can be your gift" or "I can get it cheaper at whatever store!"  Yes, you can get it cheaper, so please do if that's your concern.  Drives me batty.

Refer them to cakewrecks.com and tell them if they can get it cheaper, they might just get what they pay for  >:D
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
I have gotten this before. I'm a costumer, so by force of necessity, I've learned how to do lots of different things. Sewing, leather, basic jewellery making, fabric painting, and even basic chainmail and scale mail.

I made a few pieces of scale mail while working night shift security, and it takes forever, even for small pieces. I worked on a larger piece by doing it in segments-  doing small pieces at work in between rounds, then piecing them into the main body of the thing later.
A coworker of mine wanted me to make her a whole scale mail short skirt, for club wear. She didn't want to pay for time, since she figured I could do it at work, like my own little pieces. And yes, she said it would be good promotion- she could tell people who made it.

I also write and draw- I've posted my stuff here before. I do mainly urban fantasy, with my characters usually being personified skyscrapers and the like.
My mom keeps wanting me to draw her something to hang on the living room wall. But she doesn't want what I like to do. She wants something like a Victorian lady holding a parasol. Aside from some steampunk dabbling, I'm not really interested in Victorian stuff, and ladies with parasols just don't interest me, when it comes to taking the time to finish a piece. So she doesn't really want my work, she wants her picture with my name on it.

My sister once dabbled in writing some short stories, and my mom told her that she should get me to illustrate them. Thankfully, my sister discouraged that, saying that her writing and my artistic style didn't fit well- she wrote about ordinary, every day people, which I'm not really interested in drawing, given that most of my subjects aren't even human.

On another note, for the lady who's afraid to take her gorgeous cross stitch to Micheal's to have it framed, because of an entitlement poisoned mother whose daughter works there and might make it disappear, I would have gone right to a manager too, and told them what that entitlehog told me. After all, they might like to know they've got a potential thief working for them. Or perhaps daughter might end up having words with her mother, about how such entitled ranting could make her lose her job.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:55:43 PM by Amanita »

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
And a way for the "artist" to make big bucks from people who are so gullible that they (pretend to?) see "deep meaning" in a totally white canvas with a tiny blue dot in one corner.  Emperor's New Clothes, anyone?

I went to a craft and quilt show last weekend.  Your post reminded me...

There was a lovely small quilt showing a medieval street parade, with the emperor in the middle in his finery.  The emperor was sort of pleated/quilted.  Looking at the quilt from the left side, anyway.  When I looked at it from the other side, he was not wearing his finery.  Hilarious!  I pointed it out to Friend, and another lady nearby commented that she hadn't even seen that - so she came back for another look!   ;D

snowflake

« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »

This is me with crocheting.  I get so many compliments on my scarves and shawls.  I just pick a pretty yarn and follow the pattern until it's done.  I absolutely cannot make anything without a pattern of some kind.

This is me with any craft.  I even copy scrapbook layouts.  I have no sense of color, balance or proportion.  I once heard a bunch of other knitters refer to me as "the Seven of Nine knitter."  (The perfectionist Borg from Voyager.)  The funny thing is that I wasn't sad or offended because I am that neurotic.

Hillia

« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »

This is me with any craft.  I even copy scrapbook layouts.  I have no sense of color, balance or proportion.  I once heard a bunch of other knitters refer to me as "the Seven of Nine knitter."  (The perfectionist Borg from Voyager.)  The funny thing is that I wasn't sad or offended because I am that neurotic.

I hear you.  I have not a creative bone in my body, but I like to follow patterns in knit, crochet, quilting, etc.  Some years ago I posted a picture of some fabric I had bought here on ehell, because I couldn't figure out what to do with it for a quilt.  One poster wrote this wonderful post about what memories the pattern of the fabric brought up for her, and how she might design around those images.  I was floored...the best I could come up with was matching the colors of the print!

(and shamefully, years later, I *still* haven't done anything with that fabric).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magicdomino

« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »

Refer them to cakewrecks.com and tell them if they can get it cheaper, they might just get what they pay for  >:D

I was just thinking that!   ;D

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »

I am the opposite. I suck at following crochet patterns. Most of what I make is pretty much conjured out of thin air. I couldn't even write a pattern because most of the time I don't bother writing down what I did.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »
My Grandmother was like that.  She was incapable of following knitting or crochet instructions from a magazine.  However, if she was shown a completed project, she could figure out how to make an exact copy.