Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 187562 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Reminds me of something that happened on a parenting board. One woman nicely offered to make custom sparkly siggies for a few board. It quickly snowballed into a crowd of gimme pigs complaining "Mine isn't sparkly enough" and "I don't like this shade of purple. Can you switch it to a lighter purple, make the letters do something special, etc."  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
My best one ever consists of a colleague who I barely see cornering me at a holiday party then demanding I make two bracelets for her to give at a party she was attending two weeks from then. Not only did she not ask, she was extremely particular about the bracelets!

No, I do make pieces on request, but only during the 7 weeks I am off from school a year!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
Well, there was the time I ended up making half a dozen bridesmaids dresses (with the exception of the hems), when I was merely supposed to be helping my step-mom do them (I was 16). I've grown a spine since then.

The only person who asks me to do stuff for them now is my SO’s mother (I know, surprising, right? /sarcasm). There's always some alteration or mending she thinks I should do for her, or show her how to do on her own machine (which would take longer than to just do it, since she's mostly blind, and I have 20 more years of sewing experience). I did make a vest for an acquaintance a couple of years ago, patterned after one he already had, in exchange for some home-made cookies, but I enjoyed the challenge of something new and requested that he not pay me with money (he bought the materials).

Every once in a while, people will mention that they loved one of my baby quilts and would love for me to make one that they can gift to someone they know, but they’ve always taken "I prefer to just sew for fun when the mood strikes" at face value and never followed up.

My SO took a while to learn—he'll still ask me to make a "blanket" for a friend, but gives me a whole lot of lead time (and buys at least part of the supplies if they aren't in my stash already or all if it’s not a joint gift). The lead time only came after he asked me to make a quilt for his grandmother a week before Christmas. I finished it in time, but he didn't get to see me very much that week. :)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
Slightly OT, but I observed from a master of how to deal with obnoxious and demanding parents while helping with a kid choir church musical-

"what do you mean you have attendance requirements to be in the musical?"

"Why does my precious have to audition for the solo?"

"Why do I have to sign up for backstage help/snacks/buy supplies/record keeping/chaperoning, etc...?"

"child cannot attend tech or dress rehearsal, but of course we will be here for performance!"

"I am going to drop off my child early and pick up late, because this is really just child care, right?"

And of course, "You work here!  I tell you what to do since I am a church member!"

What Miss Krystyn responded each time was, "I am a volunteer myself, even though i am the director.  As volunteers, we have to be extra diligent and responsible in how we volunteer our time with the children.  We can always use other volunteers.  Would you like to address your concerns with the (paid) music minister (who is not hands-on involved with children's choir) or what would you like to do to sign up as a fellow volunteer?"

And they usually slunked away, although several did diffuse and actually step up and help!
:)

Playing the volunteer card is great!

Krystyn politely explained that she was doing everything for free, on her own time, with two small children of her own to drag around.  And she worked hours and hours enough that many did assume she was working for pay at church, because she was there so much!

The worst she ever had was a mom of beautiful young sisters who did not meet rehearsal requirements, did not sign up to be in the play, did not have costumes, did not come for the last final and most difficult rehearsals, including staging, and yet one hour before curtain (late) the mom walked up with her girls' hair all fixed and in beautiful show dresses (the play had all the kids in school clothes) and declared, "sorry we missed so many rehearsals, but here are my girls, ready to sing!"

Krystyn explained that in no way could the girls be on stage because we had several set stage markings, several changes of props and scenery, one dangerous piece of equipment with a motor, and the girls had absolutely no idea what to do because the had missed so much.

Mom's reply, "what?  All they are going to do is stand and sing!  That is all a musical is!"

Krystyn would not budge, and the girls were upset, but they did stay for the show. 

And although I never heard any follow-up, hopefully the mom realized how wrong she was when she saw the musical complete with dancing, fancy lighting, cool props, moving scenery, and one song with a motorized vehicle on stage!!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:17:29 PM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
Why is basic sewing such a novelty to some people? I have basic skills like buttons and hems, and I can follow a Simplicity pattern. People act like I can spin gold when they find out. I know so many people who throw away or donate clothing when a button comes off or a hem unravels. One time I was up until midnight hemming a groom's pants the night before his wedding because he forgot to get it tailored (not a tux thank goodness -- just a nice off-the-rack suit that was too long because he's so short and stout). The bad part was that I had just flown in to town for the wedding, so I first had to find a store that sold those little mending kits for a needle and thread (only time I was happy to find a Walmart). Good thing the motel had an iron and a pair of extremely dull scissors. I wasn't even a member of the family or wedding party -- just a guest who was meeting the groom for the first time. What an introduction. "Give me your pants"  >:D

I know!  I sew quite well, and am teaching my daughter to sew as well.  When people learn I have a sewing machine, they look at me like I'm a wizard or something!

You should see the looks of shock and horror when I tell people that DH does all the sewing and the machine belongs to him! I can embellish his creations, but he does the sewing!

Isilleke

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
I feel sooo ashamed now.

I was once looking to make a book out of a big task for school. Found some prices on the internet and asked my friend if those were reasonable prices, since her hobby is bookbinding. She told me it was and I asked what her price would be and she just started telling me all these reasons it wouldn't be possible and now I feel like she thought I was going to mooch of her or something.

I do admit that was the only time I've asked a friend something like that. Partially because I have no clue what's reasonable and what isn't and partially because I'd be afraid to ruin or at the very least ruin a friendship.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
Now I need to learn Elvish calligraphy!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
I feel sooo ashamed now.

I was once looking to make a book out of a big task for school. Found some prices on the internet and asked my friend if those were reasonable prices, since her hobby is bookbinding. She told me it was and I asked what her price would be and she just started telling me all these reasons it wouldn't be possible and now I feel like she thought I was going to mooch of her or something.

I do admit that was the only time I've asked a friend something like that. Partially because I have no clue what's reasonable and what isn't and partially because I'd be afraid to ruin or at the very least ruin a friendship.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You asked someone with knowledge on the subject if it was a reasonable price, and then waht SHE would charge. It sounds like once she said she wouldn't be able to do it, you let it go.

cwm

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
I feel sooo ashamed now.

Don't feel ashamed for asking a friend what their price would be. That's perfectly reasonable. You weren't demanding they do it for free. There could have been plenty of other reasons she declined to do it for you. It sounds like you were more than reasonable.

It's never unreasonable to ask if it can be done. If you want something done, by all means ask, but make sure when you ask that it's clear you're willing to pay for time and supplies. If they decline, let it go nicely. There's no reason to be worried about ruining a friendship by asking for something nicely once.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »
Anyone in the Houston area who wants polite sewing lessons - contact me through the messages page here.

Snarky and Evil have volunteered for not-so-polite sewing lessons.

BYOM if you want help figuring it out or we can use mine.

Please, I need the motivation to organize the danged sewing room!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
I aspire to be you. I have a basket of worn out blouses that I want to do that for...but I'm too chicken to pull them apart because I might destroy the only sample I have and not be able to put it back together.

Suggestion - take photos of every step as you take it apart - the reverse the order of the photos to figure out how to put it back together.  The instruction sheet from a similar pattern might also be helpful.

It's what I do when recreating a worn item...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
I do sugarcraft. I wish people would ask me to make them cakes. I don't bake as much as I'd like because someone has to eat it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
I was just talking about this with a friend this weekend - he and I both write books, but he also does design work (both for his day job and for side gigs).  He's done quite a few book covers - as in, arrange for the model, acquire costuming, take the pictures with a greenscreen, get the background shots, digitally stitch it all together, correct lighting/layout issues, do layout with font choice and sizing for the title and text on the cover, etc.  It's a lot of work, but he gets AMAZING photos (and has a really good camera and studio setup!) so he gets more requests than he could possibly accept even if he did it full-time.

Apparently an astounding number of authors want book covers done for their self-published or "trying to sell it elsewhere but if I can't sell it I'll publish it myself" books.  Except they want to determine exactly what the cover art would be (something most publishing houses do for you - authors rarely have any say).  And they don't want to pay for it, of course - it's good for your portfolio!  If they do begrudgingly accept that payment might be required, they concede that they'll pay after they start making money.  Which (for self-published books) takes at least six months, or (for books through a publishing house) may be a year or more.  And the vast majority of self-published books sell less than a hundred copies, which makes paying a reasonable rate for cover design ($100-$1000, depending on the cover) kind of a losing proposition.

Then these authors feel it's a personal slight when my friend suggests perhaps if they want a cheap cover they can do it themselves.  Some of them go on to steal images from other artists ("But if it's on the Internet it's free for the taking, right?") and some just use the same stock photos a million other books are using already - but at least they're not bothering my friend about it anymore!

If I do get any say in my cover design, I would absolutely push for my friend to be the cover artist - but the chance of that happening is slightly less than my chance of becoming the next JK Rowling, so I'm not going to worry about it  :)

z_squared82

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Not so much crafty for me, but…

I used to be a photographer. I was asked to do a couple of weddings for free/on the cheap. I flat out told them no, I had considered that career path, shadowed a wedding photographer, found out I hated it, and won’t do it again. So if someone wanted to pay me to do something I hate, I’d price myself right out of their price range. The only time I didn’t get out of it is when my mother “voluntold” me (volunteered me without asking me first) that I was going to take pictures at a charity event. I went along with it (b/c she told me the day before I didn’t want to leave the group in a bind like that), but told her never again.

Actually, my mother is the worst with this sort of thing period. She has volunteered my copy editing, writing and page design services without checking with me first, too. Generally for that same charity (which benefits Our City’s Children’s Hospital). I don’t mind too much when it’s something quick, like designing an invitation, but she has learned not to do that anymore. (Seriously, I saw the previous year’s invitation and cringed at the grammar and font. Comic sans, gah.)

I do believe my mother has been asked to make quilts for free. She might have done simple ones for free in the past, but not now. She proceeds to quote them the average price per yard of good fabric, the average number of yards in a quilt, the amount of thread and batting, the average number of hours, and the cost of having someone else do the actual quilting with a long-arm machine (for any quilt bigger than a twin-size). That shuts people down.

Oh, and my SIL would be a professional cake designer if it would pay the bills. Instead she decorates for family and friends. I don’t know if she was ever expected to do it for free, but I know the family pays her at least something now. Probably just supplies, I don’t know how much powdered sugar and marshmallows go into her marshmallow fondant (evidently easy to make at home, and cheaper). She totally made a “Tangled” cake for a little cousin, and did a fair job recreating my aunt and uncle’s wedding cake for their 30th anniversary.

Chip2

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Had this discussion a few years back:

Guest:  that is a beautiful [Shaker-style sofa] table? Where did you get it?
MsChip:  Chip2 made it.
Guest:  he made it?
MsChip:  He selected the wood, went to the shop, hand-oiled it, everything.
Guest:  do you think he could make me one?
MsChip:  let's find out....

I ran the numbers in my my head and....

Me:  $500 probably.
Guest:  what?! No! It can't be that expensive!
Me:  the wood alone would probably run at least $300-350. And I'll need a couple of router bits, and a couple of drawer knobs to match the species, and some hardware to make some jigs....
Guest:  that's outrageous!
Me:  that's a conservative estimate.
Guest:  but you've got wood just laying around.
Me:  not that species. I used the last big piece to make this basket.
Guest:  ooh! That's pretty! Can I have it?

I'll end the story by noting that I have little patience for people who just don't get it.