Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 175097 times)

Jocelyn

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #420 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
My sister came and helped me unpack after my last move. Let me rephrase...she unpacked while I recuperated from the surgery I had to have 3 days after the move.
After a long morning of wrangling in the crafts room in the basement, she came in and observed, 'You know, you really should finish some of those projects you have.' (pause) 'And give them away to your family and friends.'

I don't know which project attracted her eye, but she'd more than deserve it. OTOH, helping people move is one of HER hobbies. Seriously.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #421 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
My sister came and helped me unpack after my last move. Let me rephrase...she unpacked while I recuperated from the surgery I had to have 3 days after the move.
After a long morning of wrangling in the crafts room in the basement, she came in and observed, 'You know, you really should finish some of those projects you have.' (pause) 'And give them away to your family and friends.'

I don't know which project attracted her eye, but she'd more than deserve it. OTOH, helping people move is one of HER hobbies. Seriously.

Does she live in/near Colorado and can I borrow her sometime in the (hopefully near) future?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

emwithme

« Reply #422 on: September 07, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Can you post her to the UK for me?  DH and I are moving in two weeks and I just cannot see where to start packing!

Jocelyn

« Reply #423 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
Can you post her to the UK for me?  DH and I are moving in two weeks and I just cannot see where to start packing!
For a month in the UK, she just might be willing...

SDG31000

« Reply #424 on: September 07, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
I have just finished knitting a baby cardigan in sock yarn/4 ply wool for a friend's daughter.  I have decided to knit a waistcoat or a jumper for myself.  I posted about it on Facebook and the first reply was from my sister telling me to knit her a jumper.
DH suggested I told her how much the wool for it would be and how many hours it would take.  I decided to tell her to get Mom to teach her to knit and then she can make whatever she wants.  I'm largely self taught and she has someone who has knitted for decades just around the corner, so if she wants something she can learn to do it herself.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #425 on: September 07, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
This past week I was asked . . .

1. To make a dream catcher for some friend of a friend's new baby.  Friend handed me yarn in the colors I'm to use and told me how she wanted it done.  Also, she'd making some cotton ball bees and cartoon characters that I'm to hang off the bottom.  This makes me cringe, but it's not a lot of work, so maybe.

2. To crochet an afghan for a friend's son.  I can make it however I want, but it has to be camoflauge and must have a certain university logo on it.  Friend knows how to crochet, but I'm "so much better at it".    No.

3. To make six copies of a wedding photo, because I "have a nice printer".  I have an average printer, but I do have expensive photo paper.  No.  Go to Kinko's or the library.

4. To retype a 30-page document for Dad because his copy is stained. It's not something he needs or particularly wants.  No. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #426 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
My grandmother is the primary caregiver for her daughter, who has fairly advanced MS.  Her daughter loves music, especially folk music.  She recently asked my grandmother, who is not incredibly technically literate, if she could make a blown-up copy of some album notes for her.  So my grandmother spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out how to photocopy these liner notes and make them larger.  She finally figured it out and brought it over, so proud of herself.  My aunt, without even thanking her, said, "Put it in <the artist's> file."  Somehow I doubt my grandmother will be making effort for the next such request.

Pen^2

« Reply #427 on: September 09, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »
A person I knew from years ago at university, "John", contacted me out of the blue today. I had never liked this person, who was well-known to like nothing better than inciting arguments, and would bicker just for the sake of bickering. Needless to say, we were acquaintances only because we shared so many classes.

I am a very casual artist, and when I have the time, I do highly-detailed pencil sketches wherein I aim for photo-realism. These take upwards of 8 hours, and I've had several commissioned and sold for a few hundred dollars each. John remembered these drawings and wanted me to do a sketch of him. I didn't particularly want to draw someone I dislike, but would have felt guilty for flat-out saying no, so I said sure, and told him the usual prices people had paid in the past.

His response? "Oh, I know other people have to pay and stuff, but we both know I don't have to, thanks. It's just a drawing." He wanted 8-12 hours of work for free. If we were best buddies and it was his birthday or something, then I might do this. But not for this guy I hardly knew and found what I did know unpleasant. It took me quite a bit of effort not to tell him that if it was "just a drawing" that was worth nothing then he could bolly well do without it.

lilfox

« Reply #428 on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:41 PM »
A person I knew from years ago at university, "John", contacted me out of the blue today. I had never liked this person, who was well-known to like nothing better than inciting arguments, and would bicker just for the sake of bickering. Needless to say, we were acquaintances only because we shared so many classes.

I am a very casual artist, and when I have the time, I do highly-detailed pencil sketches wherein I aim for photo-realism. These take upwards of 8 hours, and I've had several commissioned and sold for a few hundred dollars each. John remembered these drawings and wanted me to do a sketch of him. I didn't particularly want to draw someone I dislike, but would have felt guilty for flat-out saying no, so I said sure, and told him the usual prices people had paid in the past.

His response? "Oh, I know other people have to pay and stuff, but we both know I don't have to, thanks. It's just a drawing." He wanted 8-12 hours of work for free. If we were best buddies and it was his birthday or something, then I might do this. But not for this guy I hardly knew and found what I did know unpleasant. It took me quite a bit of effort not to tell him that if it was "just a drawing" that was worth nothing then he could bolly well do without it.

Two suggestions:
1) Send him a stick figure drawing of him and tell him this is the "free" version.

2) Have you seen the Simpsons episode where Marge (secretly a good artist) is commissioned to paint a portrait of Mr. Burns?  She is disgusted by his rude behavior towards her family and ends up doing a greatly detailed portrait of him unclothed, all skin and bones and under-endowed to boot.   >:D

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #429 on: September 09, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Mr Burns: "By the way, thank you for not poking fun at my manhood."
Marge: "I thought I did."
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Pen^2

« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Oh my, I loved that Simpsons episode, but associating someone as unpleasant as John with nudity is sickening.

I might send him a blank piece of paper, with a note explaining that that is how much $0 gets him, but honestly I wouldn't want to waste the dollar or whatever on postage for this guy.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Just email it to him.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #432 on: September 11, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »

A co-worker and his wife are expecting and I offered to make the cake for the work shower to save other people $$$ and because I know the cake will come out well. Today, co-worker's assistant was surprised when I said I would make the cake and cupcakes and bring everything to serve them, but I was not bringing anything else. It will cost me at least $30 in supplies, and I do not expect to be reimbursed. Why would I be expected to provide drinks/punch, cups and serving equipment?

Co-worker's assistant (CWA) just happened to be at my office yesterday along with another member of our department. The other person is a very close friend of mine and I told her how frustrated I am by CWA's indecisiveness and procrastination about this event. The cake and cupcakes will still be the same, but I don't know if this is part of a meeting, a luncheon, or what! My friend offered to bring chips and dip and all the paper products, mainly so I am not asked to do that as well.

CWA is planning to decide this during the staff meeting next week, with the GOH present!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #433 on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »

What did you tell him?

Pen^2

« Reply #434 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
I stated somewhat laconically that I was quite busy working these days and simply couldn't afford to take a day off because I'd lose a much needed day's pay. So no matter how much I might want to draw for him, without any remuneration, it unfortunately wouldn't be possible. And he wouldn't want me to get into financial trouble, would he?

I pretty much copied-and-pasted the last sentence for each of his responses thereafter ("But it's only a day!" "It's not worth money, though!" etc.) maybe five or six times before not replying anymore. Otherwise, this guy would just keep emailing single-sentence "arguments" for all eternity and any response he got would just encourage him to keep going (he thrives on drama and bickering), and it isn't my job to feed the flame. This whole thing may have been started because he was bored and emailed someone on his contact list whom he hadn't annoyed lately, but at least I can say I gave him the benefit of the doubt.