Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 127515 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #525 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
I received two requests this weekend to accompany stringed instrument students for a competition, next Monday. 

One piece is SEVEN minutes long!  The other is only three and one half minutes long.  I'll jump right on that!

Never mind that I have never seen the music and would need a bit of time to work it up once I even got the music (google and youtube are great resources for me to hear interpretations of the pieces, and to see what  would be doing as an accompanist an the duration of piece) never mind that my schedule may not match up in one short week to have at least one rehearsal with each student, never mind that I am actually teaching during the time of the competition, but...no payment was mentioned. 

I was paid by beginning violin students at their first recital almost my hourly rate of teaching piano, and the music was pretty much sight readable.  The violin teacher told me that she stresses to her beginning students and their parents, "paying for a good accompanist and providing the originals of the music, and arranging times to practice together, are a basic part of becoming a violinist." 

These girls are high school, difficult pieces.  Yet, because my son is friends with them, and because it is for the school, I should clear my schedule and do this for ... free?  half price?  In one week?

I was able to happily use the e-hell phrase, "I am afraid that will not be possible" and wished the students well. 

Will I accompany my Sunday school class while we sing hymns at a retirement home?  yes!  Will I accompany children's choir at church?  yes.  Those are my gifts.  I enjoy serving that way. 

Stressing myself out with no time in a full schedule to cram in music I am not familiar with, and arranging travel and practice times for little or no pay?  Plus arranging make-up times for my already scheduled students?  Nope, not gonna happen.  I am FREE!!   ;D

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

alkira6

« Reply #526 on: February 18, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
I actually had a non-snowflake craft encounter this weekend.  I finished a painting (finally) and had it sitting against the wall in the entryway.  A friend saw it and we began chatting about it while waiting for my husband.  She began telling me about how a piece like it would go great in her guest bedroom.  Before I could think of a polite reply she backed up and said that it would be too much to ask for me to take something I do as a hobby and try to please other people.

She understands!

z_squared82

« Reply #527 on: February 18, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »
I knew someone was angling for free craft work last month and didn’t even give them a chance to ask.

I was at my niece’s bday party. My sister-in-law’s sister (or my brother’s sister-in-law, whichever you prefer) was saying something to her husband about her grandmother’s quilts. Turns out, they had been damaged in a fire, but she still had some of the top and wanted to take that and turn it into a larger quilt again.

Let’s forget the fact that the likelihood of the top being fine but the batting and backing beneath it being damaged and removed is slim to none. And we’ll gloss over the fact that these partial toppers have been sitting in a trunk for years, having moved from at least Europe back to the States, so their condition without being in a fire can be suspect.

We’re going to focus on the fact that she knows my mother quilts and obviously wants Mom to volunteer to fix the things.

Before Mom even hears the story, I suggest she go to a good quilt shop I know of near where she lives and ask them if they know anybody.

She listens, but later, of course, asks Mom about it directly. Well, as directly as she gets. Not, “Will you do this?” but “Do you know what I need to have done.” Although Mom and I both know what she means. I told Mom what I had recommended, Mom goes with that. We both stressed how much time it would take, and how time equals money. She claimed to now care how much it’ll cost to fix. We’ll see if she actually finds someone else to fix it, and then how much she complains about the cost.

Alli8098

« Reply #528 on: February 18, 2014, 02:08:21 PM »
I am not a professional baker but my friends know I like to bake.  I frequently will bake special items during the holidays and deliver them to my friends.  And at a previous job whenever we had a potluck I usually provided desert such as specialty cheesecakes.  And recently I had a out of the home cupcake business which unfortunately my partner was very toxic so I pulled myself out. 

The only times I will do specialty cookies and/or deserts for free are for my local church events or if I owe a favor to a friend (and it's not expensive for me to do).  Even one of my old bosses insisted on paying me twice what I quoted him for cupcakes I offered to give him a good price on because our cupcake business was new and I wanted to get our name out when I made some for a big client event.

Otherwise (call me rude) but if the ingredients are pricey and the desert is time-consuming I just can't do it for free.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #529 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
Those of you who are on Twitter might find @forexposure_txt an interesting read.  It's an account which tweets bits and pieces from various "artist wanted" spaces online, usually with hilarious justifications for why artists shouldn't be paid.  (Warning: some of the language is not eHell approved.)  Some of the more tame ones:

Hello,
I need a artist for this webcomic, but I can't pay you.

FEMINIST ILLUSTRATORS WANTED. A great opportunity for artists who want there work seen. There is a small fee of $5.00 per person to submit.

Storyboard artist: Shooting in 72 hours. This is short notice, yes, for a lot of shots and no pay. We need approximately 2,000 shots.

I'm an artist as well, and know this can be done by someone with the talent and the time. We will cover the cost of paper.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #530 on: February 18, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
Those of you who are on Twitter might find @forexposure_txt an interesting read.

So I went to there and this is my favorite so far: If you’re in it for the paycheck, you’re not in it for the love of the craft.

You know how many times I've heard that for one reason or another? Most recently a friend of a friend of a friend type person wanted me to come play guitar at a party she was having. Just some light background music. I told her sure. Then I told her my fee. Her response "I thought you were real artist, a real artist would want to do this because they love to play music for people", I told her "If I want to play music for people for free, I'll stand on a street corner and do just that. Good luck finding a real artist who does it for free". Last I heard she was asking if anyone had a classical guitar CD she could borrow for "background music", guess real artists do in fact charge.

BTW, I've had people ask to negotiate on my fee for one reason or another, and often times I will. But flat out saying I should do it for free because I love doing it, nope. Not gonna wiggle for you.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #531 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
BTW, I've had people ask to negotiate on my fee for one reason or another, and often times I will. But flat out saying I should do it for free because I love doing it, nope. Not gonna wiggle for you.

I have a friend "Mary" who is a semi-professional baker (cakes and cupcakes). Recently, a customer who had ordered a cake and cupcakes had to cut back on her budget. She asked Mary how much it would cost if she just got the cake without cupcakes. Mary chose to offer her a discount on her original order (including the cupcakes), and the customer was very appreciative. Mary was happy to offer the discount for a nice customer who appreciated the value of her work but could no longer afford the full order. I bet she wouldn't have felt nearly as generous if she'd been asked to discount the order instead of paring the order back to what they could afford.

BTW, the little birthday girl loved the cake. When she saw it, she gave a huge gasp, asked "Is that my cake?", and promptly glomped onto Mary's leg with a huge hug.  ;D Mary had never met the little girl before in her life. Another generation of baker-appreciating customers in the making.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #532 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
Do you want to know what all those sayings really mean?

I want you to do this, but I don't value your time enough to pay you for it.  >:(

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #533 on: February 19, 2014, 02:44:11 AM »
Do you want to know what all those sayings really mean?

I want you to do this, but I don't value your time enough to pay you for it.  >:(

I would edit this to add that in some cases it's:

Amara

« Reply #534 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
I would say it's more like "I want this. Since you like to do it, it's not work so of course you don't want to be paid. Pay is for work!"

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #535 on: February 19, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
I would say it's more like "I want this. Since you like to do it, it's not work so of course you don't want to be paid. Pay is for work!"

And work is something one is to never enjoy...apparently. It actually makes me sad when people say "But you like doing it so it's not work", because how sad it is that they automatically think work=no enjoyment. Really says a lot about their own lives.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #536 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
I've run across quite a few people that think that because they would do it as a free favor for a friend or family member (if only they could), that everyone should. Several years ago, I dated a guy that was an electrician. He was constantly helping out family and friends for free (his choice, he can do it if he wants to) but he thought that was the way everyone should behave. He was indignant that his brother (who fixes/installs HVAC for a living) gave a friend a price (heavily discounted) for installing central air conditioning in their house. And he tried a few times to volunteer me to design business cards or invitations, or bake, or draw something or make jewelry... and would be honestly confused and upset when I said no or gave a price. It isn't that he didn't value me/my time, or didn't think of it as work. He fully understood that it was work, and time has value, he just believed that it was cold/shallow/morally wrong to turn a personal relationship into a business transaction. He just felt that friends and family don't charge each other for favors and there was no line at which that ended.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #537 on: February 19, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »
I've run across quite a few people that think that because they would do it as a free favor for a friend or family member (if only they could), that everyone should. Several years ago, I dated a guy that was an electrician. He was constantly helping out family and friends for free (his choice, he can do it if he wants to) but he thought that was the way everyone should behave. He was indignant that his brother (who fixes/installs HVAC for a living) gave a friend a price (heavily discounted) for installing central air conditioning in their house. And he tried a few times to volunteer me to design business cards or invitations, or bake, or draw something or make jewelry... and would be honestly confused and upset when I said no or gave a price. It isn't that he didn't value me/my time, or didn't think of it as work. He fully understood that it was work, and time has value, he just believed that it was cold/shallow/morally wrong to turn a personal relationship into a business transaction. He just felt that friends and family don't charge each other for favors and there was no line at which that ended.

Yeah, I've come across that before as well. Or people who volunteer you to do something because it makes THEM look good, and then get upset when you refuse to do it for free.

Shalamar

« Reply #538 on: February 19, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
This is somewhat related ... a long time ago, my dad asked me if I'd lend a friend of his some of my books, because he knew that this friend liked the same kind of stuff I do.  I said "Sure", created a huge bagful, and Dad took it to his friend.

A couple of months later, I asked Dad if his friend was done with my books.  Dad said vaguely "Oh, I think he's still reading them."  Okay, fine, there were a lot of books there. 

A few months later - same thing.   I kept asking Dad about the books; he kept saying his friend wasn't done yet.  When a year had gone by, I got fed up and asked Dad to get the books back - I didn't care if the friend was done with them or not.  Dad got mad and said "You've got so many!  You can afford to lose a few!"

Some of those books were special to me, and I would never have loaned them out if I thought there was even a remote chance that I wouldn't get them back.  >:(

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #539 on: February 19, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
I've been making a lot of hats lately.  One of my coworker's has bought quite a few.  I do have one 'friend's and family' price and a 'general sale' price that is double.  One of the hat patterns I making for him is specific to his sons' highschool.  And he figures he is going to be asked, 'Where can I get that hat?'  So he's already asked me the price and the timeline as to when they might be done.

I told him 2015!  We'll see if any of those orders materialize.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario