Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 180431 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #540 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »

I had week of peace, but today she called while I was at work and left a message.  She was bubbling sugar.  She said she hadn’t been feeling well and hadn’t felt like talking to anyone.  She effused about the granddaughter’s afghan (which took me 100 hours to make).  The kicker:  She showed the afghan to a pet neighbor child, who wants to know if she can have one just like it.

"No problem, Doris!  I will show you how to do it.  It should only take you 100 hours."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #541 on: February 19, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
I would say it's more like "I want this. Since you like to do it, it's not work so of course you don't want to be paid. Pay is for work!"

And work is something one is to never enjoy...apparently. It actually makes me sad when people say "But you like doing it so it's not work", because how sad it is that they automatically think work=no enjoyment. Really says a lot about their own lives.
DH tried that with me.  ONCE.  I'd been sewing all day on something, and my shoulders were tight.  I mentioned it, and he said something like "But you enjoy sewing!  How can it make your muscles tense?"  (All together, now, folks! Join me in the chorus of) "It's not like it's work!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

magicdomino

« Reply #542 on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
This is somewhat related ... a long time ago, my dad asked me if I'd lend a friend of his some of my books, because he knew that this friend liked the same kind of stuff I do.  I said "Sure", created a huge bagful, and Dad took it to his friend.

A couple of months later, I asked Dad if his friend was done with my books.  Dad said vaguely "Oh, I think he's still reading them."  Okay, fine, there were a lot of books there. 

A few months later - same thing.   I kept asking Dad about the books; he kept saying his friend wasn't done yet.  When a year had gone by, I got fed up and asked Dad to get the books back - I didn't care if the friend was done with them or not.  Dad got mad and said "You've got so many!  You can afford to lose a few!"

Some of those books were special to me, and I would never have loaned them out if I thought there was even a remote chance that I wouldn't get them back.  >:(

I have a feeling that your dad wanted the books out of the house permanently.   :(

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #543 on: February 19, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
I would say it's more like "I want this. Since you like to do it, it's not work so of course you don't want to be paid. Pay is for work!"

And work is something one is to never enjoy...apparently. It actually makes me sad when people say "But you like doing it so it's not work", because how sad it is that they automatically think work=no enjoyment. Really says a lot about their own lives.
DH tried that with me.  ONCE.  I'd been sewing all day on something, and my shoulders were tight.  I mentioned it, and he said something like "But you enjoy sewing!  How can it make your muscles tense?"  (All together, now, folks! Join me in the chorus of) "It's not like it's work!"

Yeah, my massage therapist always knows when I've been doing a lot of knitting by how tight the muscles are in my arms and shoulders.  She earns her money on me every three or four weeks, between my knitting, crochetting, e-Helling, skiing (winter), gardening and baseball (summer).
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #544 on: February 19, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »
This isn't craft-related, but it does fit the gist of this thread.

My X-DH is a bagpiper. He has played for almost 30 yrs. He has spent a couple thousand dollars for his kit (his kilt, etc.) and his bagpipes. It's amazing how many people want him to play for free. FTR, he will play for free for certain events, such as graveside services for friends/relatives and weddings for family members. But it's very SS when people want him to play for free for a wedding (someone he doesn't even know). They're paying the florist, minister, the caterer, but the musicians have to do it for nothing? Oookay.  :P

A friend of ours who is a professional opera singer gets the same thing.  He sang for free at our wedding as his gift to us (it was discussed beforehand and mutually agreed upon) but he's told me that he's often asked to sing for functions for free, which isn't something he can afford to do. 

Shalamar

« Reply #545 on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »
I have a feeling that your dad wanted the books out of the house permanently.   :(

I think you're right.  My dad didn't (still doesn't) approve of a lot of my reading choices, and he might have thought this was a good opportunity to get rid of my books and convince me to read stuff that he DID approve of. 

Good thing I wasn't into Stephen King at the time.  If I'd permanently lost my beloved Stephen Kings, I would NOT have been happy.

doodlemor

« Reply #546 on: February 19, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »

I think you're right.  My dad didn't (still doesn't) approve of a lot of my reading choices, and he might have thought this was a good opportunity to get rid of my books and convince me to read stuff that he DID approve of. 

Good thing I wasn't into Stephen King at the time.  If I'd permanently lost my beloved Stephen Kings, I would NOT have been happy.

Your dad may have told the guy that he could have the books.

If I were you, I'd call the man and ask if you could please have your books back that your father lent to him.  He may have disposed of them already, or passed them along to someone else, but at least you will have tried.

It sounds like your father was not considerate of your possessions, or of your feelings about your books.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #547 on: February 19, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »

My X-DH is a bagpiper. He has played for almost 30 yrs. He has spent a couple thousand dollars for his kit (his kilt, etc.) and his bagpipes. It's amazing how many people want him to play for free. FTR, he will play for free for certain events, such as graveside services for friends/relatives and weddings for family members. But it's very SS when people want him to play for free for a wedding (someone he doesn't even know). They're paying the florist, minister, the caterer, but the musicians have to do it for nothing? Oookay.  :P

A friend of ours who is a professional opera singer gets the same thing.  He sang for free at our wedding as his gift to us (it was discussed beforehand and mutually agreed upon) but he's told me that he's often asked to sing for functions for free, which isn't something he can afford to do.

But it's a hobby, don't you know?  :)

ddawn23

« Reply #548 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »

But it's a hobby, don't you know?  :)
And opera singing is the kind of thing you can do constantly without it affecting your job performance!  I'm surprised nobody's made the argument that he practices for free, so why can't he just think of my wedding as rehearsal?

LazyDaisy

« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

If I were you, I'd call the man and ask if you could please have your books back that your father lent to him.  He may have disposed of them already, or passed them along to someone else, but at least you will have tried.

It sounds like your father was not considerate of your possessions, or of your feelings about your books.

I suspect the "friend" might be a ruse altogether and that Father never gave anyone those books. Either way, he owes replacements since he was the one who acted as intermediary in this exchange. The good thing is that most books are easy to repurchase (unless they are out of print or truly one-of-a-kind such as signed or first editions.)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Figgie

« Reply #550 on: February 19, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »
Yeah, I've come across that before as well. Or people who volunteer you to do something because it makes THEM look good, and then get upset when you refuse to do it for free.

My spouse's hobby is working with laptops/pc's/tablets.  It isn't what he does for a living (or even close), but he loves to do hands on type stuff with technology.  He is a perfectionist who takes the time to make sure everything is working correctly, so if he builds you a computer, it will work correctly right from the start.

He has had to tell people that if they ever volunteer him to work on a friend of a friends computer, or even another friend's computer, he will no longer work on their computers.  He only charges for the parts, which makes him very popular as a  computer hobbyist/builder/fixer.

I actually ended a friendship in part because that particular woman just loved to volunteer my spouse to fix all of her friends and families computers.  My spouse had only kept her computers running because she was my friend.  And a difficult job it was, as she was one of those persons who never met a link that she wouldn't click on or an email she wouldn't open, along with the attachment.

She became angry with me when my spouse told her no, he wouldn't fix her next door neighbors brothers computer.  That, along with a bunch of other bad behavior, was a large part of what helped me to realize how one-sided the friendship had become.

My spouse said that he thought she loved being the hero, but didn't love having to actually do anything to deserve the accolades.  Volunteering my spouse made people think well of her and she craved that attention like a mosquito craves blood.  :)

My spouse is so firm on this rule of not being voluntold to work on other people's computers that he has one brother who he will always take the time to help and one who has to pay someone else to fix his computers after multiple incidents of volunteering him to work on people he had never met computers.

doodlemor

« Reply #551 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »

I suspect the "friend" might be a ruse altogether and that Father never gave anyone those books. Either way, he owes replacements since he was the one who acted as intermediary in this exchange. The good thing is that most books are easy to repurchase (unless they are out of print or truly one-of-a-kind such as signed or first editions.)

That makes a lot of sense, too. 

Presuming that you know the name of the "friend," Shalimar, I definitely think that you need to call and inquire about the books.  If your father pitched them he may be embarrassed [rightfully] if the friend later asks him what is going on.

If dad just said that he was lending them to a  nameless friend then I'm afraid that they are likely gone.

You have probably guessed that I'm a big book lover, too.  If you are looking to replace old titles try ebay.  It is a good place to start.

weeblewobble

« Reply #552 on: February 19, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »

I don't loan my books out because of this attitude.  I have (way too) many paperbacks, that appear to have no real value, but a lot of them are completely random, out of print second-hand shop finds that I would never be able to track down again. For instance, it took me YEARS to track down a Harlequin paperback that was the very first romance I can remember reading.  The cover is worn and there are two pages missing, but it's priceless in terms of sentimental value. If someone told me I could "afford to lost" that book, I would be really angry.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #553 on: February 20, 2014, 12:09:17 AM »
I love my books too so feeling the pain of  those lost books, shalamar. It's not only the loss of the books that hurts either - it's also a breach of trust for someone who's meant to care for you to borrow without any intention of returning.

That's happened a few too many times to me - now I won't lend anything I'm not prepared to say goodbye to. Those books are few and far between.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #554 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
My aunt likes to come over to my house and borrow books without telling me.  So now I have an aunt shelf, full of books I don't mind disappearing.  the important books are on a small bookcase, hidden behind some hardbacks.