Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 248665 times)

kategillian

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #555 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
It's astounding to me that people feel no pressure to return books! These are the people who ask you why you're reading that book AGAIN? But they will watch the same movie 20 times! I have multiple copies of some books, because I assumed that I would not get them back from people, and that book HAS to be on my shelf!

Shalamar

« Reply #556 on: February 20, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Unfortunately, it's far too late to do anything about the books - it was years ago when I was a teenager.    I can't even remember the titles - I just remember that they were favorites of mine.  Dad's cavalier attitude towards my possessions really ticked me off, especially since he's still mad about a friend borrowing one of HIS books and never returning it.   It's DIFFERENT, though, you see - his book was a rare out-of-print edition, and mine were just dime-store paperbacks.   ::)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #557 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Unfortunately, it's far too late to do anything about the books - it was years ago when I was a teenager.    I can't even remember the titles - I just remember that they were favorites of mine.  Dad's cavalier attitude towards my possessions really ticked me off, especially since he's still mad about a friend borrowing one of HIS books and never returning it.   It's DIFFERENT, though, you see - his book was a rare out-of-print edition, and mine were just dime-store paperbacks.   ::)

I would say it was different IF he replaced your books for you! i have a few books that I would be okay losing because replacements would be easy to find, and others that will not leave my house because it took me a long time to actually find them. But that doesn't excuse taking away someone else's books.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #558 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »

Present him with a bill for replacement costs, plus interest. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #559 on: February 20, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Some of those old dime store paperbacks are now collector's items...

And I remember that my sister & I bought books with shared money.  When I got married, we had to sort out who owned which books.  Then Mom came into the room and tried to insist that SHE owned some of them.  Books are something that I understand being attached to! 

We did finally get it mostly worked out - although I still see a few books with my name on the inside cover that were borrowed from me AFTER I got married and then stuck with the books Mom still has.  I now loan her only books that I don't mind loosing....or am willing to "borrow" equivalent books back from her later.  If it is part of a series - it stays at MY house and she can check it out from the library.

Or I put it on the list of things to get her when it comes time to give her a gift! 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MagickMaker

« Reply #560 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
I don't craft but I do karaoke. I have all the equipment and a library of about 8,000 songs, as well as an extensive collection of regular music for DJ'ing. It started out as a hobby but for several years now I've been playing clubs and private parties for, you know, money! I do have a regular job too, so maybe this contributes to people's attitudes.  :-\

So far no one has asked for an actual freebie, but friends and friends of friends seem amazed and back off when I tell them my fee for doing their party. Apparently the fact that I've had to purchase a mixer, speakers, player and countless CDG's shouldn't factor into their need for a cheap/free KJ/DJ. Not to mention the time and effort in loading it all up, set up and tear down time and then loading it back up again only to unload at my house.  They seem to think that they're only paying for the four hours I'm playing for them and think its scandalous that I'm making $$$ for "only four hours!"

I do play free for my sister's parties, but she helps me with any computer problems I have. I'm also not "on the clock" at her parties so I can join in the fun!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:39:15 PM by MagickMaker »

Frog24

« Reply #561 on: February 20, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
Same vein, but possibly slightly off topic.  For many years I did a type of demonstration dancing.  I have a partner and we were asked by various organizations to put on a performance for a fancy business dinner, or a holiday showcase, or even once, in the middle of a fashion show. 

"We just need 3 dances, so a total of 10 minutes or so, with breaks between dances." They'd tell us.  Sometimes compensation would be offered (a whopping $25), or they'd offer to feed us dinner.  If the causes were good, we'd accept these casual terms.  If they weren't ideal, we'd be pressured by our coaches or higher ups in the dance world to do it anyway because "it got our sport out there and made the club look good".

Well doing hair and makeup takes time, as does driving to the event.  We'd get to the place, costumes in hand, and ask the organizer where we could change.  "Oh, we don't have anywhere specific for you.  Can't you just use the bathrooms?"  We'd say that change rooms were mentioned as part of the requirements, and get beandipped.  Okay, so I have to take my costume, costing several hundreds/thousands of dollars and try to keep it from getting wet in the toilet while I changed. 

After a while, it just wasn't worth it to us to do these demos.  The benefits to us personally were never worth the output.  We actually got a bit of flack from other dancers for no longer doing these demos "for the good of the club".   

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #562 on: February 21, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »
Same vein, but possibly slightly off topic.  For many years I did a type of demonstration dancing.  I have a partner and we were asked by various organizations to put on a performance for a fancy business dinner, or a holiday showcase, or even once, in the middle of a fashion show. 

"We just need 3 dances, so a total of 10 minutes or so, with breaks between dances." They'd tell us.  Sometimes compensation would be offered (a whopping $25), or they'd offer to feed us dinner.  If the causes were good, we'd accept these casual terms.  If they weren't ideal, we'd be pressured by our coaches or higher ups in the dance world to do it anyway because "it got our sport out there and made the club look good".

Well doing hair and makeup takes time, as does driving to the event.  We'd get to the place, costumes in hand, and ask the organizer where we could change.  "Oh, we don't have anywhere specific for you.  Can't you just use the bathrooms?"  We'd say that change rooms were mentioned as part of the requirements, and get beandipped.  Okay, so I have to take my costume, costing several hundreds/thousands of dollars and try to keep it from getting wet in the toilet while I changed. 

After a while, it just wasn't worth it to us to do these demos.  The benefits to us personally were never worth the output.  We actually got a bit of flack from other dancers for no longer doing these demos "for the good of the club".

If it's so important to them, maybe they can do it!  :P

A few years back, I made a knitted apple hat for a family member's baby.  They liked it so much that they asked me if I could do other fruits as well.  I said I could probably do an orange, a lemon, a grape and a peach.  So, I got a proposal; make one of each, and they would show the hats to the owner of a consignment store.  I trusted them (silly me), so I agreed, and thought it might be a good way to sell some of my stuff.

In the future, I would simply ask for the name of the store and the owner and do it myself, but here's what happened.  I had to buy a couple colors I didn't have, and got to work making five fruit baby hats.  The actual hats weren't a problem, but the leaves and stems had to be made and attached, and while that wasn't hard to do, it was kind of tedious.  Anyway, I made the hats, handed them over, and waited to hear back.  About a month later, after making a couple phone calls to Family Member and having the conversation get redirected, he finally admitted that he had intended to do as he had said, but the shop had closed, and he didn't know what else to do, so he kept the hats for his daughter.

Uhhh...how about maybe, oh, I don't know, giving them back?

When I got a little annoyed and said I wished he had told me so that I wouldn't have waited around for a month, and I would have appreciated it if I'd gotten the hats back, or if he'd at least asked me if they could keep them.  I probably would have said yes.  He got mad, bawled me out about how rude it was to ask for something after it's already been given (???), and pointed out, "Besides, you like making them, don't you?"

I had fun making the first two.  After that, it was a pain in the butt.

Never got those hats back.  I don't want the hats, but it's the principle of the thing.  Sooo...what else could I do?  I let the matter drop, and took it as a learning experience.

Shalamar

« Reply #563 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »
Those hats sound adorable, CrochetFanatic.  I wish I could see pictures!

Alli8098

« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »

If it's so important to them, maybe they can do it!  :P

A few years back, I made a knitted apple hat for a family member's baby.  They liked it so much that they asked me if I could do other fruits as well.  I said I could probably do an orange, a lemon, a grape and a peach.  So, I got a proposal; make one of each, and they would show the hats to the owner of a consignment store.  I trusted them (silly me), so I agreed, and thought it might be a good way to sell some of my stuff.

In the future, I would simply ask for the name of the store and the owner and do it myself, but here's what happened.  I had to buy a couple colors I didn't have, and got to work making five fruit baby hats.  The actual hats weren't a problem, but the leaves and stems had to be made and attached, and while that wasn't hard to do, it was kind of tedious.  Anyway, I made the hats, handed them over, and waited to hear back.  About a month later, after making a couple phone calls to Family Member and having the conversation get redirected, he finally admitted that he had intended to do as he had said, but the shop had closed, and he didn't know what else to do, so he kept the hats for his daughter.

Uhhh...how about maybe, oh, I don't know, giving them back?

When I got a little annoyed and said I wished he had told me so that I wouldn't have waited around for a month, and I would have appreciated it if I'd gotten the hats back, or if he'd at least asked me if they could keep them.  I probably would have said yes.  He got mad, bawled me out about how rude it was to ask for something after it's already been given (???), and pointed out, "Besides, you like making them, don't you?"

I had fun making the first two.  After that, it was a pain in the butt.

Never got those hats back.  I don't want the hats, but it's the principle of the thing.  Sooo...what else could I do?  I let the matter drop, and took it as a learning experience.

That would make me really mad.  You didn't make those extra ones as gifts so he should have returned them.  Honestly now I wish I knew how to crochet some cute baby hats since we a new baby arriving in July.  You've inspired me to attempt to learn how; and not necessarily fruit ones just something cute.  I hope he didn't sour you on extending your talent to those that are grateful for it.

EMuir

« Reply #565 on: February 21, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
I stopped lending out books when my SIL borrowed a whole series of six paperbacks that had been given to me by a good friend as a birthday gift.  I never bent a book's spine and I cautioned her that I liked my books kept presentable on a shelf. 

You guessed it, the spines were so broken when I got them all back that you could barely read the titles. I told my brother she needed to buy me new ones, of course he didn't want to ask her, and eventually he gave me money for half the cost of buying new ones and I gave him the tattered ones to give back to SIL.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »
Before my spine made itself known, I was voluntold that I would be singing for free for various churches, weddings, the high school jazz band's annual fundraiser. It didn't dawn on me that I could make money doing these things until I got to college!

After I realized how much money I was losing, I started charging. $50 for a rehearsal, $75 for the day of. For that price, I prepared 2 songs. That's hours of practice to study and memorize new material. Each extra song, $15.

Oh the complaints I received! It's good exposure for you. It's good practice. You would charge your old high school (absolutely, the band director was a horses patoot!)!?

I found that if people had to pay for my services, they valued them more. My paying customers were a joy. The ones who wanted freebies were nightmares.

I only sing for free in the shower these days.

gmatoy

« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
My aunt likes to come over to my house and borrow books without telling me.  So now I have an aunt shelf, full of books I don't mind disappearing.  the important books are on a small bookcase, hidden behind some hardbacks.
I wouldn't have an aunt any more. No, really. My books have kept me company when stationed thousands of miles from home (Army), they have comforted me when I was first married and had the MIL from he--, they have given me strength and courage as I fought through the pain of my disability and have made realize that I am a worthy person even when my depression issues were over whelming me. No one messes with my treasures!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
I "loaned" Apollo of the Weasels (aka VorGuy's old roommate after high school and someone he ran track with in high school who was his friend for some fourteen years) a copy of the new Heinlein paperback because he had started reading it while visiting us in college.  It was two years before I got it back, the spine was broken, pages were loose, and I was NOT happy either with him taking it to Europe when he was in the military or taking until after his enlistment ended to get it back to me. 

Last time I willingly loaned anyone except my mother or sister a book for years.  Then I would loan them to my daughter....

VorGuy still doesn't get the idea that books are not interchangeable for me - they are treasures and I hoard them as much as any miser might.  I grew up with a very small disposable income - it took at least month to save enough to buy one paperback and I hated it when the price of a paperback went up even five cents - because it cut how many books I could buy in a year by ONE.  And my allowance went up more slowly than the cost of living....

Getting my first job was great - but I was paying my own way through college - so textbooks & classes came ahead of a new fun book.  Which is part of why I hounded Apollo of the Weasels to get that one book back...and still hate to see a book that *I* bought for myself not be on the shelf when I want to re-read it (or take it to Half Price Books to trade it in).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #569 on: February 21, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
My aunt likes to come over to my house and borrow books without telling me.  So now I have an aunt shelf, full of books I don't mind disappearing.  the important books are on a small bookcase, hidden behind some hardbacks.
I wouldn't have an aunt any more. No, really. My books have kept me company when stationed thousands of miles from home (Army), they have comforted me when I was first married and had the MIL from he--, they have given me strength and courage as I fought through the pain of my disability and have made realize that I am a worthy person even when my depression issues were over whelming me. No one messes with my treasures!

The books she borrows are ones that I get specifically from the free book store for that shelf.  Most of my books are hard cover, the paperback that are my favorites are hidden away and if she asks, I'm willing to say no.  So far she hasn't gotten through the shelf o'books yet.