Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 247305 times)

TheWeirdOne

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #570 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:18 PM »
TheNormalGuy got me some leatherworking tools for christmas, (along with a list of things he would like). We discussed this before he got them, he buys the tools and materials, I do the actual tooling, on my own schedule. And hey, I wanted to try it out anyway, so it's win-win.

He's asked for a fancy sword belt/holder (he's a reenactor/fencer) and I'm happy to make that, but then he uttered the dreaded words...

Him: When it's done if any of the other fencers want one we could sell them!
Me: ...Well sure, but they'd be a bit pricey, I don't think anyone would want one.
Him: They can't be that much.
Me: They'd probably start at $1000.

Cue  :o from him and an explanation that, in addition to wear and tear on tools, supplies and designing and making the thing, I insist on being paid for my time. I have a job and a thesis and not enough time as it is, so if I'm going to do any kind of artwork for anyone else I need to at least make minimum wage.

I came across a great response to the issue of pricing, and I think it's relevant, so here you go:
http://magweno.tumblr.com/post/74205408531/as-per-request-my-response-to-a-dumb-comment-on

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #571 on: February 21, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »
My aunt likes to come over to my house and borrow books without telling me.  So now I have an aunt shelf, full of books I don't mind disappearing.  the important books are on a small bookcase, hidden behind some hardbacks.
I wouldn't have an aunt any more. No, really. My books have kept me company when stationed thousands of miles from home (Army), they have comforted me when I was first married and had the MIL from he--, they have given me strength and courage as I fought through the pain of my disability and have made realize that I am a worthy person even when my depression issues were over whelming me. No one messes with my treasures!

The books she borrows are ones that I get specifically from the free book store for that shelf.  Most of my books are hard cover, the paperback that are my favorites are hidden away and if she asks, I'm willing to say no.  So far she hasn't gotten through the shelf o'books yet.

Why does she have access?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2014, 03:16:41 AM »

Me: ...Well sure, but they'd be a bit pricey, I don't think anyone would want one.

Cue  :o from him and an explanation that, in addition to wear and tear on tools, supplies and designing and making the thing, I insist on being paid for my time.

I find it better to quote "about X hours at $<reasonable> per hour" and let them do the maths themselves. Then when their jaw has hit the floor, add "plus material, of course."

"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
I'm a baker (when the urge strikes, and of late it has been striking a LOT). I bake cookies and shortbreads at Christmas and spend a lot of hours decorating them for various events.

The number of people who have asked me to 'just whip up' a batch of something for their event, and have been *very* upset when I quote a price for customised shortbreads or cookies... well.

But there has been an almost equal number who have said 'oh that's very reasonable, how much time would it take you and would you need someone to watch BabyDrifter while you decorate?'

(those people get extra cookies, the ones who watch the baby and keep her entertained while I bake and decorate).
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Runningstar

« Reply #574 on: February 22, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
This may not fit in exactly here, but I work at a bakery/candy place and we make lots of different goodies.  At the end of a long, tiring day, we get to take home a little goodie bag of things we made as a little treat.  Awesome!!  But, I don't want to eat it all myself, so I often share it with friends and neighbors.  Nothing big, but say a couple of the new cookies we made.  Unfortunately, people have gotten to where they just assume that I can get oodles of this stuff for free.  I've been told to bring a pound of that fudge, or those rolls.  It doesn't work like this.  I get a small sample of what we made, the boss insists, if I need a dozen rolls, I need to pay for them.  And, we really don't get much of a discount, so for me to bring $30 worth of goodies would be crushing to my finances. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #575 on: February 22, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
I'm a baker (when the urge strikes, and of late it has been striking a LOT). I bake cookies and shortbreads at Christmas and spend a lot of hours decorating them for various events.

The number of people who have asked me to 'just whip up' a batch of something for their event, and have been *very* upset when I quote a price for customised shortbreads or cookies... well.

But there has been an almost equal number who have said 'oh that's very reasonable, how much time would it take you and would you need someone to watch BabyDrifter while you decorate?'

(those people get extra cookies, the ones who watch the baby and keep her entertained while I bake and decorate).
A friend of mine has a biscuit decorating set that you might like to buy. If you're interested, I'll send you the link.

Victoria

Phoebelion

« Reply #576 on: February 22, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
I'm currently making mittens from recycled wool sweaters.  I keep my "real" job and cottage industry separate.  No one knows about the cottage industry.

Made the mistake of taking a few pair to work to finish.  No problem - everyone there knows I'm always working on numerous crafty type projects.  Co-worker fell in love with a pair for her son and asked to buy them.  I said sure - $20 (that's what I sell them for).  She was very upset I would charge her that much and said they were worth only $5.  I rescinded the offer. 

My viewpoint is if you don't do anything crafty (knit, crochet, sew, bake extremely yummy decorated goodies, etc) you have no idea of the cost and time it takes to make anything. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #577 on: February 22, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
Yeah - hand made socks with turned heels and the like take much, much longer than most people realize.  I've never made one - I keep getting started on a moebis strip because the danged first row twists on me....just on socks - I can knit on two needles just fine and I can knit larger things on four needles or circular needles - socks are just too fine a yarn.  Danged bifocals.

I remember watching at 19th century knitting machine (made to run on water power, I think) at an 1880s historical recreation event - it knitted several socks an hour at about three (?) minutes a sock.  Plain white with a couple of rows of color in the cuff - the toe had to be sewn after the machine dropped it on the pile of knitted socks. 

Newer machines do it faster, I am sure.

But the price for a machine knitted sock that takes a fraction of the time is a fraction of the cost....which most people don't think about because you're supposed to enjoy knitting that sock for them AND you can do it while you watch tv or something....so the time "doesn't count".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #578 on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm currently making mittens from recycled wool sweaters.  I keep my "real" job and cottage industry separate.  No one knows about the cottage industry.

Made the mistake of taking a few pair to work to finish.  No problem - everyone there knows I'm always working on numerous crafty type projects.  Co-worker fell in love with a pair for her son and asked to buy them.  I said sure - $20 (that's what I sell them for).  She was very upset I would charge her that much and said they were worth only $5.  I rescinded the offer. 

My viewpoint is if you don't do anything crafty (knit, crochet, sew, bake extremely yummy decorated goodies, etc) you have no idea of the cost and time it takes to make anything.
And the non-crafters often vastly underestimate the cost of your materials.  "I can buy a quilt at Walmart for $20!  What do you mean, you spend more than twice that in materials?  Fabric is only one or two dollars a yard, and you need what, two or three yards?"  ::)  Repeat for $1 skein yarn, quality paper, cake decorating supplies, etc.

I had a friend want a quilt, and he did ask me for an estimate.  California king size bed.  I broke down the cost of materials, and I think the quote for those alone was $300. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #579 on: February 22, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »
My aunt likes to come over to my house and borrow books without telling me.  So now I have an aunt shelf, full of books I don't mind disappearing.  the important books are on a small bookcase, hidden behind some hardbacks.
I wouldn't have an aunt any more. No, really. My books have kept me company when stationed thousands of miles from home (Army), they have comforted me when I was first married and had the MIL from he--, they have given me strength and courage as I fought through the pain of my disability and have made realize that I am a worthy person even when my depression issues were over whelming me. No one messes with my treasures!

The books she borrows are ones that I get specifically from the free book store for that shelf.  Most of my books are hard cover, the paperback that are my favorites are hidden away and if she asks, I'm willing to say no.  So far she hasn't gotten through the shelf o'books yet.

Why does she have access?

I live with my aunt, I'm in the basement, she's 2 floors up.  My bookshelves are pretty much open to everyone who comes down the steps. 

I don't mind the borrowing of books, it's the failure to return them and loaning them out to other people that ticked me off. It happened twice before I realized what was going on.   So my solution was to have an "I don't care" shelf of books.  She borrows a book, 1-2 times a year.  It's not a weekly thing

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #580 on: February 22, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »

And the non-crafters often vastly underestimate the cost of your materials.  "I can buy a quilt at Walmart for $20!  What do you mean, you spend more than twice that in materials?  Fabric is only one or two dollars a yard, and you need what, two or three yards?"  ::)  Repeat for $1 skein yarn, quality paper, cake decorating supplies, etc.

I had a friend want a quilt, and he did ask me for an estimate.  California king size bed. I broke down the cost of materials, and I think the quote for those alone was $300.

*sputters* How can that be possible? Quilts are practically free to make. You just use the odd bits/leftover pieces from all the other stuff you've made. I can't believe you would charge a friend so much for fabric you were just going to throw away. tsk tsk!

/sarcasm
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #581 on: February 22, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »

I had a friend want a quilt, and he did ask me for an estimate.  California king size bed. I broke down the cost of materials, and I think the quote for those alone was $300.

*sputters* How can that be possible? Quilts are practically free to make. You just use the odd bits/leftover pieces from all the other stuff you've made. I can't believe you would charge a friend so much for fabric you were just going to throw away. tsk tsk!

/sarcasm
Yep.  And it's stuffed with the cotton from all the tops of aspirin bottles I've hoarded over the last 40 years.  (Do they still do that?  I can't recall seeing it lately.)
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

doodlemor

« Reply #582 on: February 22, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »

/sarcasm
Yep.  And it's stuffed with the cotton from all the tops of aspirin bottles I've hoarded over the last 40 years.  (Do they still do that?  I can't recall seeing it lately.)

My grandma used to stuff quilts with wool from her uncle's sheep, and used old clothes to make the tops of quilts.  She would go over a quilt with me and identify the pieces and the individuals who had owned the clothing.  She still must have had to buy the backings, though.  These quilts were more utilitarian than fancy, and were very cozy and warm.  I still have several of them.

Grandma grew up on a small subsistence farm at the turn of the 20th century, and left to work in town as a nursery maid at the age of 14.  Her parents had both been born in Sweden, and spoke Swedish when they didn't want the children to understand the conversation. 

Times have changed.

Micah

« Reply #583 on: February 22, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
I don't lend my books any more, to anyone.....

I have a beautiful book, very old and definitely out of print, about the history of the American mustang. It's hardcover, beautifully illustrated and in perfect condition. I only paid a dollar for it. Several years ago an acquaintance borrowed it. I stressed that I really needed it back and he agreed. Well he moved house. When I asked for the book back a couple of months later, he insisted that he'd given it back, which he definitely hadn't! Several YEARS later I found the book in the local op-shop. Yes it was the same one, I'd writeen my name in pencil in the front!

I asked the acquaintance how the heck a book he'd supposedly given back to me had ended up in the op-shop and he told me I was being ridiculous about a book I'd only paid a dollar for in the first place :-( I didn't speak to him again. I'd tried to find that book again EVERYWHERE. Online, second hand shops, book dealers, auction sites. Apart from my copy it didn't seem to exist. I just think how lucky I was to get it back!

So, no, I don't lend books.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Bluenomi

« Reply #584 on: February 22, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
TheNormalGuy got me some leatherworking tools for christmas, (along with a list of things he would like). We discussed this before he got them, he buys the tools and materials, I do the actual tooling, on my own schedule. And hey, I wanted to try it out anyway, so it's win-win.

He's asked for a fancy sword belt/holder (he's a reenactor/fencer) and I'm happy to make that, but then he uttered the dreaded words...

Cue  :o from him and an explanation that, in addition to wear and tear on tools, supplies and designing and making the thing, I insist on being paid for my time. I have a job and a thesis and not enough time as it is, so if I'm going to do any kind of artwork for anyone else I need to at least make minimum wage.

I came across a great response to the issue of pricing, and I think it's relevant, so here you go:
http://magweno.tumblr.com/post/74205408531/as-per-request-my-response-to-a-dumb-comment-on

Looking at that person's stuff I think it's very reasonably priced. They look amazing!

I made full length hooded cloaks for my MOH and I for my wedding. The fabric alone was well over $300. Someone saw the photos and wanted me to whip them one up. When I told them the fabric cost and said I'd need to add some cost for my time they changed their mind.