Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 159354 times)

Lynn2000

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #630 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
Or there was a horrible one where someone had knit a friend a sweater (?) and when the knitter went to visit, found she'd given it to her child, let/encouraged the child to unravel it, and the yarn was strung all over the house as the child was playing with it. ::shudders:: I think the DH at least felt bad when he realized.

To me, those situations (jtimenow's too) are when you say, "Once you give a gift, it's the giver's to do with as they please. And I am under no obligation to give them that kind of gift ever again."
~Lynn2000

z_squared82

« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
The sort of quilt a charity quilter makes is not the sort of quilt that will make big bucks at auction. The quilts that were made to be given to disaster survivors were far less detailed, and they're usually smaller, because after a disaster, nobody needs a king-sized quilt. :)
Incidentally...the show at Paducah has a top prize of $20,000 this year. This is the 'purchase' prize for the winning quilt, which remains at the quilt museum after the show. Next prizes are $12,000....down to under $1000 for the miniature quilts.
The Mennonite Quilt auction in Kansas sells quilts made specifically for fundraising, and quilts go for hundreds, if not thousands, depending on the detail.
But the point is...if a charity accepts a donation, it ought to use it for the intended purpose of the donor, or let the donor know. I had a friend arrange for her employer to donate used computer equipment to a particular charity for their clients to use...and later found out the computers were given to the staff, for their  use at home. Not cool. Maybe they thought that their staff needed to be able to work at home...but it meant they got no more donations from her employer.

I think I need to take my mom to Paducah. She and Dad tried to go once, but they went on a Monday, and evidently everything is closed on Monday.

Mom has gone to the International Quilt Festival the past three years, b/c it was here in Cincinnati. I went once, I don't remember seeing prices, but then you don't see price tags in a museum either. She's very disappointed the festival decided to move back to Chicago.

z_squared82

« Reply #632 on: February 26, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »
Or there was a horrible one where someone had knit a friend a sweater (?) and when the knitter went to visit, found she'd given it to her child, let/encouraged the child to unravel it, and the yarn was strung all over the house as the child was playing with it. ::shudders:: I think the DH at least felt bad when he realized.

To me, those situations (jtimenow's too) are when you say, "Once you give a gift, it's the giver's to do with as they please. And I am under no obligation to give them that kind of gift ever again."

This was the tack my mom took with my niece. Mom made a few little dresses, they were completely adorable. Niece really liked them as far as we could tell. But my sister-in-law doesn't do laundry well. She washes everything on hot and doesn't iron.

Niece wore the dresses a few times, and then as tunic-like things when she got taller with leggings underneath, but Mom couldn't handle how little care was shown to something she had spent so much time on.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #633 on: February 26, 2014, 09:46:16 AM »
I have a GOOD story about a quilt that I made once.  i'm sure we could all use one.

My sister used to have this enormous king-sized bed. I think it was a California King.  Anyway, she asked me to make a quilt for it, using their colors, light green and purple.  I made two quilt tops in different shades, and planned to put them together.   The next weekend was Palm Sunday weekend, and some family was coming up to visit my sister, so I brought everything to her house, laid it all out, and got all of the aunts together to pin and tie this huge quilt (It turned out to be 110" by 110").   Meanwhile, Uncle Carl was taking pictures of all of our butts in the air, while the other aunts called me The Slave Driver.  My sister and I were in our 30s and the aunts were all in their 60s and 70s.  Oh, our father and stepmother were there, too.  It was a lovely happy family time, and my sister still treasures that quilt to this day.

But wait, there's more!!  A couple of years later, my sister got pregnant with twin girls.  For their dedication ceremony, I took the leftover pieces from the original quilt, added a few more, and made matching crib-sized quilts for the girls.  When my sister opened the package, she cried.   

She also cried when I made christening gowns for the girls.  One of those gowns was made from the fabric from my sister's wedding gown.  The other one was the same pattern, but cotton eyelet.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #634 on: February 26, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
I was asked if I wouldn't mind making tropical themed cupcakes for next Friday's potluck.

It was nice to be asked, and I am going to make them!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #635 on: February 26, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
For a few years I had the privilege of working with a very eminent archaeologist.  He always said that 90 percent of the value of an object resided in the story behind it. 

That's what comes to mind when I read posts on this thread.  A hand-crafted gift may not be the most beautiful thing the recipient has ever seen but the time and care that went into the making of it is worthy of respect. 

You don't let a little kid unravel a hand-knit sweater given to you by a friend.  You don't let a lovingly crafted afghan become a blanket for the dog's bed. With hand-made things the thought and effort behind the gift is often more important than the gift itself.     

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #636 on: February 26, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
I made my sister in law a twin sized quilt. It was what I considered to be one of the best I had made. She thanked me very nicely when she got it. Two weeks later she complained it was too small and the next time I make one for her to make it bigger. Next she let her son use it to let his rabbit play on it. Finally I went over there and found she's using it as a dog blanket. It took me 33 hours to make. I hand stitched parts of it and machine quilted a lot of it. I know it wasn't perfect but I tried my hardest. I will never make her anything again. My husband thinks I'm being petty but it's his baby sister and she does no wrong.

Oh hellz no. Using a handmade quilt as a dog blanket!!

This is exactly why I do not ever want to have anybody give me a handmade quilt--or a handmade anything.

It becomes mine. I can do with it what I want. And I don't want someone else assigning a value to anything and imposing that value on me.

Maybe I don't need a twin-bed quilt, bcs I have bedding I like better. I need a dog blanket.

I totally get that this means you don't want to give me anymore guilts--er, quilts. (Sorry--made a typo, and then realized that this is exactly what I meant). Fine w/ me--I didn't want the first one, really. And you're not ever obligated to give me anything, so I'd prefer someone not give me something that they'll end up feeling bad about.

buvezdevin

« Reply #637 on: February 26, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
I made my sister in law a twin sized quilt. It was what I considered to be one of the best I had made. She thanked me very nicely when she got it. Two weeks later she complained it was too small and the next time I make one for her to make it bigger. Next she let her son use it to let his rabbit play on it. Finally I went over there and found she's using it as a dog blanket. It took me 33 hours to make. I hand stitched parts of it and machine quilted a lot of it. I know it wasn't perfect but I tried my hardest. I will never make her anything again. My husband thinks I'm being petty but it's his baby sister and she does no wrong.

Oh hellz no. Using a handmade quilt as a dog blanket!!

This is exactly why I do not ever want to have anybody give me a handmade quilt--or a handmade anything.

It becomes mine. I can do with it what I want. And I don't want someone else assigning a value to anything and imposing that value on me.

Maybe I don't need a twin-bed quilt, bcs I have bedding I like better. I need a dog blanket.

I totally get that this means you don't want to give me anymore guilts--er, quilts. (Sorry--made a typo, and then realized that this is exactly what I meant). Fine w/ me--I didn't want the first one, really. And you're not ever obligated to give me anything, so I'd prefer someone not give me something that they'll end up feeling bad about.

Understand what you're saying Toots, but the same can be said of any gifted item, hand-crafted or not, if it is an item valued differently by giver and recipient.

So, my mother used to collect old vinyl records, and would be willing to gift one to a friend, but only if she thought it was something they would enjoy as well.  If she later found the recipient using it as a frisbee, probably not gifting more LPs to that person.  Which is fine.

Except where a quilter/crafter (or collector of LPs) is then voluntold/asked/expected to share something with someone, and *knows* the intended recipient does not hold such a "thing" in the same general regard, or understand the actual effort/value of the "thing". 

So jtime's SIL may have uses for a multitude of quilts for any number of purposes ("the next time you make me one...") but those won't be supplied by jtime.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #638 on: February 26, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
does not ... understand the actual effort/value of the "thing". 

Here is my point: "Value" is subjective.

A homemade quilt* may not have the same value to me that it does to the person who made it. Even if I -do- recognize the effort and work that goes into it; even if I do recognize the value that she places on it.

Other people don't get to assign the "value" that *I* place on something.

I think we would agree that the quiltmaker may place her *own* "value" on the quilt, and that it may be quite a bit higher than mine (in some cases, it would be lower; my grandmother would have told me to throw out my childhood quilt long ago when it began disintegrating). And when our different values don't match up, well, we don't have the same values. (winkie--see, wasn't that a clever turn of phrase?)

But just because the crafter places a value on their product doesn't mean *I* must place the same value on it.

EXCEPT FOR THIS: It's tremendously rude to demand people give you stuff of *any* value, and it's tremendously rude to argue that the crafter must change -her- value to match mine.

Because *I* don't get to assign the value *she* should place on it, either.

*"Quilt" being a stand-in for any handcrafted item.

buvezdevin

« Reply #639 on: February 26, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
does not ... understand the actual effort/value of the "thing". 

Here is my point: "Value" is subjective.

A homemade quilt* may not have the same value to me that it does to the person who made it. Even if I -do- recognize the effort and work that goes into it; even if I do recognize the value that she places on it.

Other people don't get to assign the "value" that *I* place on something.

I think we would agree that the quiltmaker may place her *own* "value" on the quilt, and that it may be quite a bit higher than mine (in some cases, it would be lower; my grandmother would have told me to throw out my childhood quilt long ago when it began disintegrating). And when our different values don't match up, well, we don't have the same values. (winkie--see, wasn't that a clever turn of phrase?)

But just because the crafter places a value on their product doesn't mean *I* must place the same value on it.

EXCEPT FOR THIS: It's tremendously rude to demand people give you stuff of *any* value, and it's tremendously rude to argue that the crafter must change -her- value to match mine.

Because *I* don't get to assign the value *she* should place on it, either.

*"Quilt" being a stand-in for any handcrafted item.

You just restated exactly the point I made.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Lynn2000

« Reply #640 on: February 26, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
Yeah, I think the disconnect in a lot of these stories is that they start with someone demanding, or even just more or less politely asking for, a homemade item from a crafter--so they want a specific thing that a specific person made, rather than going to Wal-Mart and buying a blanket or a sweater or whatever. And then, they use that homemade thing they asked for carelessly--using a homemade quilt as a dog blanket exactly the way they'd use a $10 fleece blanket from Wal-Mart. Maybe that's because they don't understand the value of the homemade item (in terms of time/money/effort/sentiment) or maybe they would've used a $200 store-bought cashmere blanket the same way. (Maybe only if the $200 blanket was a gift, and didn't represent their $200... ?)

And that's when the crafter goes, "I will never make anything for you again."

If the crafter just spontaneously presented them with the homemade item, with no indication they wanted it, that's when things can get a bit dodgy. Because as TootsNYC described it so well, you feel like you can't get rid of the thing or use it in a way that would be useful to you, and then you feel like a bad person because you don't like it. That's why I'm really careful about not pushing anything I make on others, I always wait for them to ask me about it. Because I don't want to put them in the position of accepting something they didn't want, and then having to throw it away or whatever--I'd rather keep the thing and give it to someone who really wanted it.

Wow, if I gave someone a stuffed animal I'd made for them/their kids and then saw them using it as a dog toy I'd probably faint. I gave my grandma some of the stuffed animals (per request) and she passed them on to my little cousins (which I knew beforehand), who were twirling them around and stretching them and yanking on them. My mom thought I would flip out, but I was like--you know, that's what they're for, to be played with by kids. I was just glad they held up to the abuse.
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #641 on: February 26, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
That's why I'm really careful about not pushing anything I make on others, I always wait for them to ask me about it. Because I don't want to put them in the position of accepting something they didn't want, and then having to throw it away or whatever--I'd rather keep the thing and give it to someone who really wanted it.

I know what you mean! (though I'm less about giving the thing to someone who would value it, and more about not making them feel guilty that they don't like it)

And I "blew it" this year bcs I made a purple linen capelet for my BFF. Mostly because I wanted to. I'm hoping she'll find it useful and will like it, but it *might* be annoying. And I told her that she should get rid of it if that's the case.
   She assured me that she would, and that she'd never mention that to me.

I gave a cousin a sheer leopard-print moebius scarf for her b'day; hopefully if she doesn't like it, she'll feel OK getting rid of it, bcs I would never, ever know.

I think I'd have a similar reaction to you w/ the kids playing w/ the stuffed animals: Good, they like them! A quilt that gets worn out because it was used nightly (and washed often), that would make me happy. Bcs it was used and loved.

POF

« Reply #642 on: February 26, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »
My grandmother made beautiful handmade rugs, out of old clothes and whatever old material she could get her hands on.  She had an amazing sense of color and perspective.  Ok She also really really liked orange material .... but thats another discussion.  >:D

She wanted us to USE the things she gave us.   I used the throw rugs for years and then when they were worn they went to the utility room.

My Aunt gave me a beautiful hand quilted / embroidered white quilt for my wedding 20 years ago. I've never had it out. It's probably museum quality and with pets - I don't want to worry about it ... plus ... its WHITE.

I have several antiques feedsack quilts from my great grandmother - which I use daily. Sure the cat will sleep on one, but for me I like them to be in use.

While I love handmade things, for me its very selective.  My MIL used to make a lot of kitschy stuff and DH had a hard time letting it go.... some of it had small accidents.

Lynn2000

« Reply #643 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm okay with something getting damaged or worn out because it was used with enjoyment--I find that to be a compliment! :) If someone wanted a dog toy, it might be kind of a fun challenge for me, figuring out how to make one, what materials to use, etc.. And then of course, I would expect it to get used and chewed on and all that. Or if a child-toy was damaged while the child was playing with it--I offer free repairs! :) I wouldn't get mad about that, because that's what I was hoping would happen, that it would be used a lot.

You know, something I meant as a child-toy, which I see being used as a dog toy, could even be explained to me in a good way--a lot of it is in the attitude, too. There's a big difference between discovering that something is genuinely useful and appreciated but in a surprising way, and dismissively chucking something over your shoulder in a way that devalues the work that went into it.
~Lynn2000

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #644 on: February 26, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
I made tote bags for those on my Christmas list.  While everyone loved them, I have already made up my mind that they belong to the recipients to do with as they will.  Tote music books?  Great.  Carry groceries?  Fine with me.  Even giving it to someone else who needs one more won't bother me, but if someone thought it was hideous and pitched it I'd prefer not to know.