Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 174623 times)

Jocelyn

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #705 on: March 01, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't expecting a giant windfall, but as they'd bought similar but more mass-produced similars the week before, I figured they would at least look at that as a guide. The gas station charges twice what I charged for ingredients for a dozen. That would have been fair to me.
Was this baking done for a non-profit group? I know it wasn't your intent, but it's not uncommon for people to donate their labor and only ask for their costs to be covered, to help non-profit groups. Perhaps someone misunderstood what you meant by 'this is only the costs of the materials' and thought you were saying that you only wanted to be paid for the materials.
If it IS a non-profit, perhaps you could ask them for a donation receipt for your taxes, in the amount of what your labor would have cost.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #706 on: March 02, 2014, 02:12:17 AM »
I think I need to take my mom to Paducah. She and Dad tried to go once, but they went on a Monday, and evidently everything is closed on Monday.

Mom has gone to the International Quilt Festival the past three years, b/c it was here in Cincinnati. I went once, I don't remember seeing prices, but then you don't see price tags in a museum either. She's very disappointed the festival decided to move back to Chicago.
The big show is the last week of April, but hotels are already booked. You'd have to stay at quite a distance. The museum and several quilt shops are there all the time, of course, and there's Hancock's of Paducah, the world's largest fabric store. It's the Sam's Club of fabric stores. :)

*sob*  I miss Hancock's
Hancock's of Paducah is still there. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/
They are not part of the Hancock's Fabrics chain. I cannot swear to this, but I was told that they were owned by members of the same family. Check out their website, it's gigantic. If you go into the store, it's a warehouse with tens of thousands of bolts of fabric. Watch for fellow shoppers who are carrying clipboards...they're actually employees who are cutting fabrics for the Internet orders. Fabrics are 'arranged' by manufacturer and fabric line, so that the employees can find the bolts they need, rather than by color, as a quilt shop normally would organize. If you go, you need to price the items you want online, because they'll give you the online discounts if you print off the page and bring it in. But it's completely safe to order from them, as they don't stock anything that's not top-line fabric.

I'm in MD.  We lost our last Hancocks about 4-5 years ago.  We still have JoAnn's but there is very little competition where I am.  I often have to travel to visit G St Fabrics

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #707 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »
If you're willing to drive to Annapolis and like quilt fabrics, I have to put in a good word for Cottonseed Glory.  :)  My mom works there.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #708 on: March 02, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »
Oh no! How annoying.

I think the lesson to take from this is to name a price for your labour. I would have a hard time putting a value on somebody's labour if they said 'no really, pay what you think is fair'.

I'd wonder if they'd be uncomfortable if I tried to pay them more than a token amount, but then I'd worry that a token amount would be insulting. Then I'd wonder if they were really saying, "honestly, you don't have to pay me...ok, chuck me a couple of quid if it makes you feel better".

Basically, I'd get in a huge quandry, and I'm wondering if these ladies did the same.

Next time, just give a fair price for your area (at least minimum wage). Value your work!

Under some local health regulations in the USA - she *can't* name a cost for her labor without a business license AND a separate, professional kitchen (not her home kitchen, in other words) - which is why she was emphasizing that the invoice covered ONLY the cost of materials.  The message was supposed to be - "this was the cost of materials - if the group likes the pastries, there should be at least a token additional financial consideration added in appreciation for the labor" - that message didn't get through, since the check covered ONLY the materials.

The message that got back to the OP was that her baking was good, but that her time was being taken for granted as a "donation of love" (for baking or the group) and there was no financial appreciation of the sacrifice of the time or the higher level of taste in a small batch over part of a HUGE batch made in a giant bakery & shipped to their location.  Which the etiquette response to is "I don't have the time to do this again for the group".

Legally, asking for money for her labor would be a problem.  Socially, asking/hinting for money for her labor appears to have been ignored. 

The appropriate etiquette response is along the lines of "I don't have time to do this if I only get back the cost of the materials, these are expensive not just for the cost of ingredients but the experience it takes to acquire the knowledge & skill to combine them appetizingly and then the time to make a batch."

Since so many people do bake/cook for a small fee out of their home I don't think this is common knowledge.  I could be wrong but I think Martha Stewart started catering out of her home.   Without this piece of info (food can not be sold use prepared in a certified kitchen , however its worded where op is) I can understand someone getting confused by the invoice  etc.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #709 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
Where I live, you can cook 'commercially' in your home kitchen but you have to have have it inspected by the local health department.  And since I have cats, I haven't pursued it at all.  I bake for my coworkers, and sold fundraiser cupcakes to them, but there are very few in the office who don't have pets of their own so no one gets too uptight about finding the odd cat hair.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #710 on: March 02, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »
If you're willing to drive to Annapolis and like quilt fabrics, I have to put in a good word for Cottonseed Glory.  :)  My mom works there.

I'm looking more for fashion fabrics than quilting

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #711 on: March 02, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
Patience is the key to making vanilla extract. That and quality vodka and vanilla beans.

Bourbon. Maker's Mark is what Mrs.k2002 uses.
First time I wanted to make Vanilla extract myself, I did half pint mason jars of vodka, rum, and brandy.  Taste testing (can't remember the timeline for that now) declared brandy the winner.

We use a gluten-free, organic potato vodka. Works fine for me! Brandy tends to lend too much of it's own flavor to the extract, IMHO.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #712 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »
Where I live, you can cook 'commercially' in your home kitchen but you have to have have it inspected by the local health department.  And since I have cats, I haven't pursued it at all.  I bake for my coworkers, and sold fundraiser cupcakes to them, but there are very few in the office who don't have pets of their own so no one gets too uptight about finding the odd cat hair.

As a baker, I would have to rent a commercial kitchen in order to sell anything I make to the public. Nothing from a home kitchen is allowed.

buvezdevin

« Reply #713 on: March 02, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »
Patience is the key to making vanilla extract. That and quality vodka and vanilla beans.

Bourbon. Maker's Mark is what Mrs.k2002 uses.
First time I wanted to make Vanilla extract myself, I did half pint mason jars of vodka, rum, and brandy.  Taste testing (can't remember the timeline for that now) declared brandy the winner.

We use a gluten-free, organic potato vodka. Works fine for me! Brandy tends to lend too much of it's own flavor to the extract, IMHO.

I can imagine all kinds of subtle differences in taste from different types, and specifics of the alcohol used for vanilla extract.

But I am now planning to use bourbon the next time I make some, based a linguistic option rather than strictly taste profile.  A PP's comment on labeling extract as "Bourbon in Bourbon" won me.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #714 on: March 03, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't expecting a giant windfall, but as they'd bought similar but more mass-produced similars the week before, I figured they would at least look at that as a guide. The gas station charges twice what I charged for ingredients for a dozen. That would have been fair to me.
Was this baking done for a non-profit group? I know it wasn't your intent, but it's not uncommon for people to donate their labor and only ask for their costs to be covered, to help non-profit groups. Perhaps someone misunderstood what you meant by 'this is only the costs of the materials' and thought you were saying that you only wanted to be paid for the materials.
If it IS a non-profit, perhaps you could ask them for a donation receipt for your taxes, in the amount of what your labor would have cost.

No, they're not. I volunteer heavily for a nonprofit and my husband is on the board of the group I baked for, so I'm pretty familiar with the little workings of what you can and can't write off, unfortunately.

Anyway, I won't let it stop me from baking for them again (already volunteered to bake and donate baked goods as silent auction items) but like I said, I will definitely spell it out as clear as I can when the person asks me to bake for her party.

If I had Martha Stewart's kitchen, I'd bake out of it too, lol. There is a woman here who bakes out of her home, but it is faaaaaancy. She has a whole separate wing for baking, and hosts baking classes a few times a year.

The club actually does have a kitchen; usually during the season they hire someone to cook during league nights (usually just burgers and fries.) It's all inspected and up to code, but of course very small. I told DH he should look into leasing the kitchen out in the off season to small time bakers who want to do it more professionally but don't have access to a pro kitchen/who wouldn't need a hotel-sized area. They don't make any money during non-league time, as far as I know.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #715 on: March 04, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »

I'm looking more for fashion fabrics than quilting

PastryGoddess, I was out in Gaithersburg a couple of weeks ago and saw a Hancock's Fabrics store.  I was shocked, because I also thought they were all gone too.   On Route 355.   I can't look up the address right now because my browser is going all whacko on me. (Long story).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:45:32 PM by LadyJaneinMD »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #716 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
There are a lot of Hancock's Fabrics - just not near ME (in the Houston area, it can take over thirty minutes to drive the eleven miles to either of the two closest Hancock's) - the two that were twenty minutes and fifteen minutes away were closed six or seven years ago.  There is a JoAnn's twelve to fifteen minutes away - depending on traffic and another one about twenty to twenty-five minutes away (again, depending on traffic).

Traffic changes a lot based on the time.  There are two (one of each) in relatively close proximity that are just off an expressway - but I can't get to that road without going through a lot of lights on the way....so...twenty minutes plus no matter which way I go.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:20:09 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

SadieBaby

« Reply #717 on: March 04, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
I have recently ordered a couple of times from Fabric Mart in Sinking Spring, PA (outside Reading) and have been pleased with them.  I ordered on-line, but their website says they have a retail store.  I live in PA, so sometime in the not too distant future I think I might take a ride down there.  The only problem is that I might not live long enough to sew what I have now!

BarensMom

« Reply #718 on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »
We have a few out here - in Vallejo, Napa, San Jose, and Sacramento. 

It's just easier to go to Joann's or take BART and visit Britex.

Xandraea

« Reply #719 on: March 04, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »
I used to love Hancock's Fabrics. I'd drive all the way across town to go to that store. There were a few other smaller versions scattered around, but they weren't as nice as that one. The others have now closed, and the one is renamed "<State>Fabrics" or somesuch. It still has the best selection of fabrics and a lot of sewing patterns to choose from.

I can't stand JoAnn's.  Every JoAnn's I've ever been in has rude staff (if you can find them), a small selection of lesser quality fabrics in tiny amounts, the stores are not particularly clean, and things are not organized in a way that makes sense. I won't shop there at all.

I have crafty ambitions, but haven't stuck with anything long enough to get really good at it. I have a fabric stash (lots of it is polar fleece. I used to make hats/mittens/jackets/blankets for kids) I have lots of seed beads, wire, thread, etc. to make jewelry with, and a small stash of yarn with which I still intend to learn to knit/crochet! I'm always thinking, "I could make that" when I see things in stores, most notably, the American Girl stuff. We have the dolls, I refuse to pay what they're asking for the mass-produced little clothes and accessories! I made my DD's Halloween costumes (my favourite being a gypsy/pirate thing with a gathered-neck shirt, two off-set squares for a skirt with an elasticized waist cut from the center around a dinner plate, beaded belly chain with little bells on it, and a large silk scarf tied over a backwards baseball cap to keep it on her head when she was 2), a white satin and tulle princess dress one Christmas when she was 3, and my recent ambitious project was a mid-calf length skirt made from something like 20 yards of tulle, for a ballroom dance showcase solo. I think I pretty much invented the finishing-off of the satin waist with creative folding and large sewn-on snaps. I always completely underestimate the time required to accomplish these projects and make myself nuts finishing things last minute.

I do envy those with a true gift for making handmade crafts, and appreciate all the work and love that goes into it. I want to be the person who brings a knitting/crochet project with her at all times. :)