Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 185243 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #720 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:34 AM »
Who says you can't be?  Just be sure to have a prepared response when questioned as you have seen on this thread.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #721 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »
http://31.media.tumblr.com/72eb9807c57151bfaf5e231af5c7c522/tumblr_n0u4yluKz91rg640yo1_500.jpg

What one smart artist did on Not Always Right, with a calculating customer...

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #722 on: March 07, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »
http://31.media.tumblr.com/72eb9807c57151bfaf5e231af5c7c522/tumblr_n0u4yluKz91rg640yo1_500.jpg

That is just brilliant! :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #723 on: March 07, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
I forget where I originally saw it - but I've paraphrased it several times.

At the turn of the (last) century, when women wore hats as part of leaving the house - a man got word that he was being considered for a promotion/new job - but part of the process was an event where his wife would be interacting with their wives (a wife who didn't "fit in" could get him dropped from being considered for the job, in other words).  It would be a dressy event and his wife NEEDED a new hat as she didn't have one of the correct level of recent fashion & whatever other criteria went into making sure that a given hat worked for a given event. 

The right hat was a confidence issue - not just a fashion accessory, in this situation.  (For those who aren't used to wearing hats and only their great-grandmothers used to wear them at all.)

She went to her favorite millener's and tried on every hat in the place - not just the one's that were appropriate - every one of them to see if they were close to the "right hat".  Nope...she tried them all on again...still nope...she was getting visibly upset because she NEEDED the right hat and it wasn't there!

The designer came out and asked what was wrong (either a good customer or one who could easily become one with her husband getting a promotion & raise, I suppose).  She explained everything about the possible new job, more responsibility, the need to carry herself well with the other wives, and the need for the right hat to boost her confidence...especially the fancy event with the other wives which needed a very special hat to stand out as a model of taste & decorum and whatever else the "right hat" was going to prove.

The designer listened, grabbed a velvet remnant, pleating it between practiced fingers, arranging it, and borrowing a diamond stickpin from the woman before placing it at a slight angle on her head.  Turning her to the mirror, the question was "would this work?"

With a gasp, the woman saw on her head the PERFECT HAT, tasteful, rich without being gaudy or ostentatious (small diamond stickpin), it made her look exactly like she'd been wanting to - maybe better (confidence boosted to the max)!

Trembling with joy, she asked the price.  It was HIGHER than expected....trying to bargain a bit (I always wondered if she'd had to buy several new outfits for the interview process), she asked how the designer could possibly charge so much for a remnant of velvet and the stickpin, after all was HERS!

Taking it off her head, the designer removed the pin, shook out the velvet & folded it up, handed it to her customer and told her that the VELVET was free.  But the hat would still be $___!  (Prices have gone up since - leave it as an expensive hat at a time when wages were much, much lower.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:09:34 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

XRogue

« Reply #724 on: March 07, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »

;D Amazing. If only I had the nerve to do that about my cross stitching.... >:D

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #725 on: March 07, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »

Three words for you - Subversive Cross Stitch
The days are long but the years are short.

mime

« Reply #726 on: March 07, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

That is just brilliant! :)

It is brilliant!

Now I will admit that when I go to craft shows I also mentally add up the cost of materials and see how that compares to the price. I then think of the time and effort it would take me to do the same thing and decide if it is worth it to me. I hope where I differ from SS customers is that I absolutely DO value the time and expertise. A few years back, I bought two quillows for $35 each. The workmanship was very simple but nice, (the calico panels themselves were already elaborate). No matter how I tried to estimate the fabric, batting, and notions, I could not make these things add up to less than $50 apiece. The lady must have been able to get bulk pricing on the fabric (I'd seen some of the same styles at stores so I felt I had a very good idea of the cost). I think she was underselling herself. I wish I had paid a little extra, because they were so worth it.

Now I want another one and she appears to be retired, but not after totally spoiling me! I bought the materials to do one myself that is very comparable to the ones I have, and it cost me $30 so far. I know I'll be putting in way more than $5 of effort into this thing.

So even with so many customers out there who completely undervalue the work, I hope it is encouraging to know that some of us (who consider ourselves reasonably intelligent  ;) ), often walk away feeling like we paid quite a good price.

magicdomino

« Reply #727 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Another thing to take into consideration is how much time and material was used up while learning the craft.  Sure, I probably could knit a scarf similar to the one selling for $50.  I'd also use about $100 worth of cheaper yarn, plus hours and hours of time, making funny-looking scarfs until I was expert enought to tackle the nice one.  That's fine if I really like knitting and want to make other stuff too.  But if I just want a pretty scarf, I'd rather pay for it.

lofty

• My blog and shops
« Reply #728 on: March 07, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

I saw that yesterday and DIED! Of course, I then promptly posted it on my Facebook page to much applause by other crafters.

I love the people who will try to get out of my the instructions for how I made something; what stamps did you use? What ink color is that? I amaze myself with just how vague I can be.  >:D

Thankfully, everyone but my mother will happily hand over $ for my cards and tags. Dear ol' mom just doesn't buy them as "she can get them cheaper at the dollar store".
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

BB-VA

« Reply #729 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »
And then there is my husband's late grandmother, who made AMAZING quilts.  She had made a couple for us, and our best friend saw them.  He asked us to ask her to make one for him, in California King.   She agreed, so he sent me a check for materials and said that was the starter, and he would send more as necessary.  The check was for $75 - and I want to make it clear that this was about 35 years ago, plus at the time I worked for a company that made velveteen and I could get decent quality remnants for $0.25 per pound.   I was acquainted with the manager of our company retail store and she picked out some good stuff.  Then I found a store with a remainder of a bolt that they sold me cheap.  So, materials done, off to Grandma with money left over.

She refused to take it.   Instead, she made the quilt, incorporating some of her own stash to brighten it up (she thought my choices were too dark, plus she shopped at the factory store too) and then made a twin size quilt for our daughter with the leftover materials.   I can't imagine the effort she put into that quilt, just MOVING it.  She was less that 5 feet tall and accordingly tiny, and velveteen is heavy - but she managed somehow.  She absolutely refused to take any money, although our friend offered to pay what it was worth.   All we could do was get her a
REALLY nice Christmas present that year. 

She made quilts for a local shop, and I don't think she ever charged more than $50 bucks for one of them.  She was also one of the Mennonite ladies who helped with the quilts that go for such high prices at the Relief Sales.  I don't know if she ever really knew what her handiwork was worth   
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

XRogue

« Reply #730 on: March 07, 2014, 05:40:26 PM »

Doubly brilliant, thank you! :)

Three words for you - Subversive Cross Stitch

mime

« Reply #731 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
Another thing to take into consideration is how much time and material was used up while learning the craft.  Sure, I probably could knit a scarf similar to the one selling for $50.  I'd also use about $100 worth of cheaper yarn, plus hours and hours of time, making funny-looking scarfs until I was expert enought to tackle the nice one.  That's fine if I really like knitting and want to make other stuff too.  But if I just want a pretty scarf, I'd rather pay for it.

Thank you for that addition: I do consider the value of expertise and developing good craftsmanship as well. It is the thing I appreciate most about handmade items of any type. I am often in awe of beautiful woodworking in particular because of the work involved to hone that skill. After having spent my own time developing chocolate-making skills (admittedly, the 'rejects' were still pretty enjoyable as long as I didn't burn them*), and spending more money than I expected to take bookbinding and letterpress classes, I know the sometimes-horrifying upfront cost before you can even make one thing!   :D

* funny discovery: burnt cacao beans smell a lot like bacon. And they're not bad on a salad.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #732 on: March 07, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Because of all I have invested, in time and materials in learning how to make the things I do (jewelry, baking, candy, bacon), I don't think there is a price that is reasonable that would pay for it all. So I charge materials plus a labor estimation for consignment pieces and pre-made items.

But for gifts? Generally I notice what the person likes to wear and what colors they like, then make a piece that suits them. If they don't appreciate it, I don't make them anything again. My mom and my sisters stopped appreciating what I made them, and started making my gifts a burden more than a joy to give, so I buy them items instead.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #733 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
I have a quilt that I'm not sure what to do with. It's not in great shape.  It's a maple leaf pattern, small full or large twin size and some of the fabrics in the leaf patches have disintegrated between the seams. The ones that remain are all fabric colors and/or patterns from somewhere between the 40s and 60s and are so cute.

I bought it for $2 at a garage sale because I felt sorry for it.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #734 on: March 17, 2014, 02:07:12 PM »
I have recently ordered a couple of times from Fabric Mart in Sinking Spring, PA (outside Reading) and have been pleased with them.  I ordered on-line, but their website says they have a retail store.  I live in PA, so sometime in the not too distant future I think I might take a ride down there.  The only problem is that I might not live long enough to sew what I have now!

Hey, this is just down the road from me!  If it is what I am thinking of, it is a small business storefront.  I always wondered how they stayed in business. Now, I know. The internet!