Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 246331 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #735 on: March 17, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »
Use it UNDER another quilt for extra warmth. 

If you want to use it in a some what too small shadow box, put it in & "rumple" it to fit so that the good parts show and the bad parts don't show - much as if it was tossed on a bed & then put in the shadow box with those folds & such intact. 

CUT the good parts out and use them to make pillow shams, throw pillows, or frame to go on the wall - then toss/recycle the other parts some other way (make a new top layer & quilt it to the old quilt to add a 21st century block or pillow to the collection).  Cut it down & bind it to make a lap or wall quilt instead of a bed quilt.

The "remains", if large enough, could be topped with plain fabric, quilted by machine, & donated to a pet shelter. 

I've also seen teddy bears & other stuffed animals cut out of "heirlooms" in really bad shape to give the good parts a shot at a new life - but it depends on if the recycled fabric can stand up to the "new life".  The teddy bears were going to adult great grandchildren for display - not to children who would love them to death (four quilts to be divided by forty-odd great grandkids - they had to work out something).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #736 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
Had a bit of an enlightening conversation with my brother on the weekend.  He brought a friend to my Dad's (I think she is a new girl friend but he didn't say so) and she asked me how long it would take me to do a sweater.  I roughed it at 40 hours.  I was knitting a hat at the time and he said, 'It only takes you an hour or so to do one of those.'  I said, 'Try 4 hours.'  He was surprised!

But I think he appreciates my work a little more, now.  He's requested a sweater for Christmas so I have to get him to pick the pattern he wants and the colour so I can buy the yarn on sale and get going on it.  Because I have a bunch of projects scheduled - finish the 8 hats I'm working that were commissioned, 20 hats (2 done) for Wardens and Kids Fishing Adventure, 14 more commissioned hats, 1 for DB's (new girl)friend, finish the sweater I was supposed to have for my Dad for Christmas by his birthday in June, do another sweater for my Dad for Christmas and if there is any time left, do some projects to enter in the Fall Fair and make mitt and hat sets for Christmas Cheer.

Anyone who asks for anything now is going to be told '2015, at the earliest'.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

tinkytinky

« Reply #737 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
My mom used to tell me a story about when her and dad were first married. Dad came home from work one day with a mans suit; think 3-piece lined business suit (from the 60's). Mom looked at it and asked what it was for. Dad said that this was a suit that fit a man that he worked with who wanted another in the same style, but a different color and material. He offered mom's services to make  this suit from scratch..... mom knew how to sew well enough but didn't do it for a living. and keep in mind she was 17 and pregnant at this time as well. The material was a difficult one to work with (I can't remember exactly which material) and the lining was difficult to piece together. When she finally got it finished, she gave it to dad to give to his co-worker (who was extremely grateful :) ) and told him that if he ever volunteered sewing services of that magnitude to come out of their house again, he had better start learning how to sew........yeah, dad never brought home sewing again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #738 on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »
So I just had one. It's taken me a few days to cool off.

So, Friday was Pi(e) day. I made peanut butter pies for DH's office and my own. Almost everyone was gracious about the pie, whether they ate it or not. Notice I said almost everyone.

One individual took it upon himself to complain about the pie because:

1. No one asked if we wanted pie.
2. So much junk food in the office.
3. How did I even know if people liked peanut butter.
4. Why didn't I ask if people wanted something else.
5. I wasn't thinking about people who couldn't have any because of Lent.

He went on like this for hours because I brought a pie into the office! I did it to be nice. I expected maybe a thank you or two. The project manager finally had to tell him to put a cork in it. Really, who complains about free food?! If you don't want any, no one is forcing you to eat it.

The best part, he came in early yesterday to finish the pie! He made a big show of not eating any on Friday or Monday when everyone was around, but ate the rest when he thought no one was watching!

Sometimes, I look around for hidden cameras because this stuff shouldn't happen outside a sitcom...

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
Sigh, another update to the pastries incident. I donated gift certificates for pastries to a local org, and the treasurer (T) bid and won one of them. I've donated the certs before; it's for two dozen pastries, and includes a list of the flavors I make. T contacted me and pitched the idea that I make all the kinds of pastries I make, in every flavor, and freeze two from each batch so her two dozen would end up being 12 different flavors. Then she would pick the one or two kinds for her end of the year party.

I have a full time day job. I bake on the weekends and when it strikes my fancy. The party is in early June. No way would I be able to "casually" make 12+ kinds of pastries in that time (probably don't do that many kinds in a year!) Each flavor pastry also has an accompanying filling, and none of the pastry/filling combinations are the same. Most of my recipes make 2 1/2-3 dozen pastries, so in essence I'd end up with ~400 pastries to give her 12.

I replied back that because another event was coming up, I could bake for that (so the extras wouldn't go to waste) and that she could choose three flavors for me to make. I'd take two of the flavors to the event, and the third would be her "exclusive" flavor (since she paid via donation, I don't want to make it seem like she paid for something everyone else is getting free) and they could choose from those three. She seemed ok with that...but boy, I'm tired already and I haven't even started baking yet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:20:31 PM by BabyMama »
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

GreenBird

« Reply #740 on: March 19, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »
Sigh, another update to the pastries incident. I donated gift certificates for pastries to a local org, and the treasurer (T) bid and won one of them. I've donated the certs before; it's for two dozen pastries, and includes a list of the flavors I make. T contacted me and pitched the idea that I make all the kinds of pastries I make, in every flavor, and freeze two from each batch so her two dozen would end up being 12 different flavors. Then she would pick the one or two kinds for her end of the year party.

I have a full time day job. I bake on the weekends and when it strikes my fancy. The party is in early June. No way would I be able to "casually" make 12+ kinds of pastries in that time (probably don't do that many kinds in a year!) Each flavor pastry also has an accompanying filling, and none of the pastry/filling combinations are the same. Most of my recipes make 2 1/2-3 dozen pastries, so in essence I'd end up with ~400 pastries to give her 12.

I replied back that because another event was coming up, I could bake for that (so the extras wouldn't go to waste) and that she could choose three flavors for me to make. I'd take two of the flavors to the event, and the third would be her "exclusive" flavor (since she paid via donation, I don't want to make it seem like she paid for something everyone else is getting free) and they could choose from those three. She seemed ok with that...but boy, I'm tired already and I haven't even started baking yet.

I think this was a perfect opportunity for "I'm sorry, that won't be possible"!

I think it would be entirely reasonable to say "Sorry, it's just not practical for me to make all those different kinds of pastries, especially since I can't just make two at a time.  Please let me know which kind you'd like for your prize."

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #741 on: March 19, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
If it was just the prize, then I would 100% have said that. But since it's leading to me making a mass quantity for her gathering as well, I thought I could humor her a little.

We'll see if I've made a horrible mistake. I may be updating here in two months and you'll all be welcome to call me a bacon-fed knave then ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #742 on: March 19, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
If it was just the prize, then I would 100% have said that. But since it's leading to me making a mass quantity for her gathering as well, I thought I could humor her a little.

We'll see if I've made a horrible mistake. I may be updating here in two months and you'll all be welcome to call me a bacon-fed knave then ;)

Nah - we'll call her a bacon fed knave of a SS who DIDN'T get told that she was being an SS & a bacon fed knave because you were hoping that things would go well...

Is this the same group that paid you ONLY for the ingredients on an order of the same pastries for a get together after you strongly suggested that they needed to "round up" to cover the labor?  I would not go with strongly hinting to this group....you need to flat out tell any members that you are donating the labor and X number of pastries but you cannot make less than X number of pastries because the recipe just doesn't make that many.

Or add something about "if group members order and PAY FOR XX number of pastries, I will make Y number extra (between six and two dozen, whatever you think is reasonable) for anyone winning one of my donated discount coupons".  Then stick to that and have fine print that the minimum order is X dozen and that there have to be 2X that number to order more than one flavor.

Because they just don't seem to want to notice that clue by four....

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #743 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
One of the people at work just astounded me last week regarding craft freebies.  I make soap, sugar scrubs, bath salts, lotions, etc.  This coworker had mentioned last month that she was looking to buy some bath salts to help with "detoxing" herself.  I offered to make her two different kinds, and told her I charged $10 per jar (8 oz jars).  The salts contain dead sea salts, himalayan salt, and red hawaiian salt, plus essential oils.  At the same time, I bought 4 boxes of girl scout cookies from her.  I figured it was a trade - $20 of my product for $20 of cookies.  She really enjoyed the salts, and had me make her two more jars with her favorite scent.  Then last week she informed me that she really needed the $20 I "owed" her for the cookies.  I reminded her that she hadn't paid for the initial two jars of salts and said that was a trade.  She said, and I quote, "Oh, I thought those first two were free so I could decide what scent I liked".  I told her I was sorry, but I couldn't afford to just give away my products like that.  She said, "oh" like this was very unexpected of me, but dropped the subject.  I have not paid her the $20 and she hasn't asked again.

gmatoy

« Reply #744 on: March 19, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
My mom used to tell me a story about when her and dad were first married. Dad came home from work one day with a mans suit; think 3-piece lined business suit (from the 60's). Mom looked at it and asked what it was for. Dad said that this was a suit that fit a man that he worked with who wanted another in the same style, but a different color and material. He offered mom's services to make  this suit from scratch..... mom knew how to sew well enough but didn't do it for a living. and keep in mind she was 17 and pregnant at this time as well. The material was a difficult one to work with (I can't remember exactly which material) and the lining was difficult to piece together. When she finally got it finished, she gave it to dad to give to his co-worker (who was extremely grateful :) ) and told him that if he ever volunteered sewing services of that magnitude to come out of their house again, he had better start learning how to sew........yeah, dad never brought home sewing again.
I have been sewing for over 40 years and still would not try to make a men's suit! Tell your mother I'm impressed with her 17 year old self!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:11:15 PM by gmatoy »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #745 on: March 19, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
At about the same age, I made a casual suit (unlined) in a denim colored knit for VorGuy.  I did not have a new sewing machine, so I was in the habit of marking the buttonholes & taking it to a local fabric store that did the buttonholes for me.

I routinely marked the buttonholes and the button locations for female clothing.  So I did the same for the male suit - making a comment when I dropped it off that it was for my HUSBAND.

I went by to pick it up and found the buttonholes on the wrong side....and there was not a scrap of fabric to be had (bought there) to make the front side over again....they had also cut them open for me....

They redid the buttonholes on the correct side & did something to close up the cuts on the wrong side, but you could SEE the buttonholes, as the suit was intended to be worn mostly unbuttoned (casual suit)....after the money for the fabric & pattern, the work to get it fitted to him, and then the expense of the buttonholes....it was unwearable.

I was NOT offered a refund on the fabric - just the extra buttonholes.  It was the best place to get a variety of fabrics at the time....but it was a bit of an expense for a couple of college students.  We went back to buying his clothes or, if we got lucky, his dad would need a new suit & clear out space in his closet by offering VorGuy one of the older ones being replaced (same size).

Looking back - I think that his dad was shopping for more suits than he'd really planned to buy in his early fifties...

I did sew shirts for him and slacks - but never again a blazer/casual suit jacket.  Just too much of a bad taste in my mouth.  And the one time someone asked...well, they decided that was more than they wanted to know about how long it takes to fit even a casual, unlined jacket....because I explained why I did NOT do suit jackets.  In detail.  At length.  With reference to the original suit jacket (pants never worn, either - I have no idea why).

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #746 on: March 19, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »
One of the people at work just astounded me last week regarding craft freebies.  I make soap, sugar scrubs, bath salts, lotions, etc.  This coworker had mentioned last month that she was looking to buy some bath salts to help with "detoxing" herself.  I offered to make her two different kinds, and told her I charged $10 per jar (8 oz jars).  The salts contain dead sea salts, himalayan salt, and red hawaiian salt, plus essential oils.  At the same time, I bought 4 boxes of girl scout cookies from her.  I figured it was a trade - $20 of my product for $20 of cookies.  She really enjoyed the salts, and had me make her two more jars with her favorite scent.  Then last week she informed me that she really needed the $20 I "owed" her for the cookies.  I reminded her that she hadn't paid for the initial two jars of salts and said that was a trade.  She said, and I quote, "Oh, I thought those first two were free so I could decide what scent I liked".  I told her I was sorry, but I couldn't afford to just give away my products like that.  She said, "oh" like this was very unexpected of me, but dropped the subject.  I have not paid her the $20 and she hasn't asked again.

So did she get FOUR jars ($40) for $20 in cookies? Or did she pay for the latter two jars in cash? Either way, her statement would be a jaw-dropper! I could see giving small free samples, but by that point she should have realized all four jars were full-sized, $10 jars, and whatever idea she'd had at the beginning was mistaken. Or at the very least, if you're having a total goofball moment, you go, "Crud monkeys, that's right, $20 of cookies for $20 of bath salts, I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry to bug you!" I've done stuff like that before--like going out to dinner with my friend, and then asking whose turn it was to pay, when the point of the meal was for me to thank her for something. A facepalm moment, but quickly corrected.
~Lynn2000

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #747 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
At the same time, I bought 4 boxes of girl scout cookies from her.  I figured it was a trade - $20 of my product for $20 of cookies.

Are Girl Scout cookies $5 a box now? Yikes.  :o

And good for you, reminding her of the original arrangement and standing your ground. Isn't it bizarre when people just pull thoughts like "I thought the first two were free" out of thin air? I see that happening all too often.

That's what I get for not stopping to think the numbers out!  It was 5 boxes of cookies at $4 each - still a total of $20, just reversing the numbers!

andi

« Reply #748 on: March 19, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
There's a quilt in the Smithsonian that a stepmother made for her stepdaughter out of the clothes of the daughter's deceased mother.

A friend of mine has a similar quilt - her MIL took all my freind's high school and college shirts and sweatshirts (sports, actitities, sorority) and made them into a quilt as a wedding gift. It cemented thier relationship.

I have a beautiful handmade quilt my  grandma made me. It's huge - fits a king sized bed almost as a bedspread. I used it for years but the threads are pulling and I'm afraid it'll fall apart if I continue so it's put away. I need to find someone who knows how to restore quilts. I was supposed to get another one when she passed - but they were all gone. I do have 2 afghans

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #749 on: March 20, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »

Nah - we'll call her a bacon fed knave of a SS who DIDN'T get told that she was being an SS & a bacon fed knave because you were hoping that things would go well...

Is this the same group that paid you ONLY for the ingredients on an order of the same pastries for a get together after you strongly suggested that they needed to "round up" to cover the labor? 

Yes, it is. I e-mailed her this time around so I could write everything down rather than talking to her during an event where we're both busy (which is what happened last time.) Explained again about the not being able to price, but this time was able to give her a time estimate (ends up being about 2 hours of labor per dozen) and the cost per pastry that the specialty baker in town gives. Will re-stress again once she decides how many she wants for her party.

And this is why I don't bake for a living. I hate dealing with people!